Typhoon Daysailer Mast Stepping

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Re: Typhoon Daysailer Mast Stepping

Post by Oswego John »

rogergaby wrote:Just purchased a 1979 CD Typhoon Cuddy Daysailer. Having a tough time figuring how to unstep/step the mast without a crane or cherry picker. Help!
Here is an old picture of me working on my Ty in 1994. I realize that using this method isn't practical at the boat ramp, but it works fine around the home or at the boat yard.

Just reposition the scaffolding to pull your mast so you can move your boat. In this picture I was installing a new rudder I had built. I laid triple planking at the top and attached a come-along to a rope sling to do the lifting. Notice the built-in ladder on the left corner. Very handy.

BTW, you can rent sections of scaffolding and planks by the day or week. They'll even deliver them for you.
O J

Hoisting a Ty.

"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
mashenden
Location: "Nautica" CD-36 #84, Ty-K #83, & CD-10 #1539 in Urbanna, VA. 4 other Tys in past

Post by mashenden »

Oswego John wrote:Here is an old picture of me working on my Ty in 1994. I realize that using this method isn't practical at the boat ramp, but it works fine around the home or at the boat yard.

Just reposition the scaffolding to pull your mast so you can move your boat. In this picture I was installing a new rudder I had built. I laid triple planking at the top and attached a come-along to a rope sling to do the lifting. Notice the built-in ladder on the left corner. Very handy.

BTW, you can rent sections of scaffolding and planks by the day or week. They'll even deliver them for you.
O J
Now THAT is a gin pole :)

I wonder if you can make scaffolding out of PVC? (just kiddin')
Matt Ashenden
- I used to like boating and fixing stuff, then I bought a couple of boats and now I just fix stuff :)

Oh, and please check out my webpage... http://VaRivah.com
distand

Post by distand »

Yes, I provided some detailed instructions on how I step and unstep my mast on my Ty. If you can't fine, please let me know.
Don
trapper
CD25D, Lake Murray SC

Post by trapper »

Matt,

My friend called me back and here are the instructions to build the gin pole for a Pearson Ensign. It should also work for your Ty daysailer:

He purchased 2" emt electrical conduit pipe 10' long and a 10' corner pipe for a chain length fence at Lowes. The electrical conduit fit inside the fence post. He bore a hole in the two pipes to bolt them together. He attached a block at the top of the electrical pipe.

He attached fittings (the original ones looked like tangs) about where the two pipes bolt together. A fitting for each side and one facing forward. Also make a wood base with a hole (not all the way thru) to place on the deck and set the pipes in so as not to mar the deck.

Stand pipe in wooden base in front of mast hole. Use rachetting tie downs to connect the pole to the side chain plates and one to the bow. Make sure you have it tight enough to be stable. Then rap a line around the spreaders so that the mast can be lifted by the spreaders. He tied off one end on a cleat on the mast. The other end of the line should be run through the block at the top of the pipes. If it is too heavy, run the line back through one of the genoa blocks and around the winch.

He was able to throw the line over the spreaders but you may need a long boat hook or a pool cleaning pole to get the line around the spreaders.

Then you lift the mast out. Have someone walk it aft as you lower it.

He purchased everything but the block at Lowes. I will try to get pics the next time I am at the boat.
mashenden
Location: "Nautica" CD-36 #84, Ty-K #83, & CD-10 #1539 in Urbanna, VA. 4 other Tys in past

Post by mashenden »

Thank you very much. Very good info.
Matt Ashenden
- I used to like boating and fixing stuff, then I bought a couple of boats and now I just fix stuff :)

rogergaby

Post by rogergaby »

Thanks Matt
Gives me one more point to ponder. This system seems pretty good.
Roger
trapper
CD25D, Lake Murray SC

Post by trapper »

Here are the pics of the pole:

Large double block at top of poles

joint

joint and forward fitting

Lowes tag on upper pole

mashenden

Post by mashenden »

Thank you so much, Fran. That clears up any vagueness that I had in mind. A great design that has to be reasonable in cost.

Interestingly, the larger diameter pipe is the one at the top. I wonder if there is a reason for that.
Matt Ashenden

trapper
CD25D, Lake Murray SC

Post by trapper »

You are correct. I have no idea why the larger diameter pole is on top, but I will ask.

Below is a pic of all the fittings on the pole.

trapper
CD25D, Lake Murray SC

Post by trapper »

OK, the larger pole is on top because the block is on top and the forward fitting is also placed on the larger pole. The 2 poles can slide together so it does not have to stay 19' 8" tall. If it were the other way round, the two would not slide together.
Keith Wood

Post by Keith Wood »

Fortunately, or unfortunately, depending on the perspective, I do not have this 'lifting-of-mast' issue with my daysailer, and I step the mast alone without gin pole, hoist, tree, or other such contraptions. The orginal owner, from whom I purchased the boat, cut a slot out of the cuddy deck aft of the mast (yikes). I built a wooden cover for the slot, and I think my generous use of thru-bolts and wingnuts restored the cabin top near to original strength. My thinking is, why have a trailerable daysailer if I cant drive off with her behind the truck and go launch alone any time I choose? I have had enough hassles stepping the mast on the 25-D when there is no crane or hoist available, so the simplicity of this setup is a blessing.
mashenden

Post by mashenden »

Very interesting. Yet another solution:)

If one is open to a modification, I like the cuddy notch better than cutting the mast and installing a tabernacle on the cuddy like a Weekender. I may go this route if I start doing more trailer sailing.
Matt Ashenden

mashenden

Post by mashenden »

Keith,

If you don't mind, please send me your boat's data (year, location, boat name) and I will add #88 to the list that a few of us owners are maintaining on the Daysailers.

http://www.capedory.org/board/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=30007
Matt Ashenden

rogergaby

Post by rogergaby »

I'm trying to keep my daysailor as close to original
as possible. I personally feel that cutting through the cuddy top would definately compromise the integrity and strength of the top even though you have shored up the slot with wood braces and through bolts. Cutting the mast and installing a mast step would seem preferable.
Just my opinion.
I am still working on the teak. The boat is on the hard, and I have assembled a gin pole that should work. I will give it a try in the next month.
I would like comment on refinishing the Imron hull paint that was applied over 10 years ago. It has dulled some (the hull is Mellon colored)and appears to be refinishable.
Dupont Corp cannot offer any advice on restoring the finish.
Comments on interior cabin finish would also be appreciated as the present finish is peeling off.
regards
Roger Gaby
Magic Carpet,hull #79
mashenden

Post by mashenden »

rogergaby wrote:I'm trying to keep my daysailor as close to original
as possible. I personally feel that cutting through the cuddy top would definately compromise the integrity and strength of the top even though you have shored up the slot with wood braces and through bolts. Cutting the mast and installing a mast step would seem preferable.
Just my opinion.
I am still working on the teak. The boat is on the hard, and I have assembled a gin pole that should work. I will give it a try in the next month.
I would like comment on refinishing the Imron hull paint that was applied over 10 years ago. It has dulled some (the hull is Mellon colored)and appears to be refinishable.
Dupont Corp cannot offer any advice on restoring the finish.
Comments on interior cabin finish would also be appreciated as the present finish is peeling off.
regards
Roger Gaby
Magic Carpet,hull #79
Sounds like you are making progress, Roger:)

I'd like to add yours to the list of known Model Ks. Please verify Magic Carpet's year. In an earlier post you noted it as 1979, but if it is hull #79 then it has to be in the '81 to '82 time frame.
Matt Ashenden