Typhoon Daysailer Mast Stepping

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

rogergaby

Typhoon Daysailer Mast Stepping

Post by rogergaby »

Just purchased a 1979 CD Typhoon Cuddy Daysailer. Having a tough time figuring how to unstep/step the mast without a crane or cherry picker. Help!
Simonr

Re: Typhoon Daysailer Mast Stepping

Post by Simonr »

Do a search at the bottom of the page. There are many posts and step by step directions. (no pun intended)You do not need a hoist . I was told by an old salt that you should go driveway sailing before you take her to water. Putting up the complete rig at least 3 times will save much time and much frustration at the dock. Best of luck
CD Typhoon Tiger Lily
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

The problem may lie in the fact that you have a keel stepped mast. If this is true, then most of the information you will find here relating to Typhoon weekenders will not apply. Some clarification on this may help others respond to your situation.

You might need to get pretty creative with a tripod and tackle to lift the mast clear and then lay it down. The deck stepped Tys are much easier to rig, Steve.
Jeff D

Post by Jeff D »

I have a Ty Daysailer and previously owned a Bullseye which can best be described as a shorter Ty DS. I was able to step and unstep the mast on my Bullseye without incident - it was never fun but no one got hurt. I have never and would never try the same thing with my Ty DS - the extra 3 - 4 feet of mast and the larger mast section would make this difficult at best and potentially dangerous. Better to spend the money on the crane than the ER. The only situation in which I might try to step the mast by hand would be if you were in an area with a good tidal range and could lower the mast down from a pier.

Several years ago there were a series of posts from a guy in the Caribbean who restored a Ty DS and reported that he was able to step the mast by hand. Just because it worked once doesn't mean its a good idea.

Good luck.
rogergaby

Post by rogergaby »

Thanks to all who replied.
The advice to have a cherry picker service do it seems to be the only practical one.
To use a gin pole would require a pole at least a few feet higher than the spreaders (which would be the safe hoist point) and very secure base stabilization of the pole and its top. I have to move the boat from where it is (the mast is up onit) right away. No time to find an 18 foot suitable pole).
I would be amazed to see how anyone can unstep the mast by themselves or even with others, without some type of mechanical help.
Thanks again.
John Martin

Post by John Martin »

Some other thoughts we have used in the past to step/unstep the mast.

Raft 3 boats together with the suspect boat in the middle. Use the main halyards of the two outside boats to raise/lower the mast of the middle boat.

Our sailing club has a gin pole monted on a telephone pole with the appropriate block and tackle. It can handle a mast up to about 50' long. If you are a member, or if you know a member of such a sailing club, maybe you could use their mast hoist.

A nearby marina, has atop their travel lift, a small crane that could handle masts up to 45'-50'. Maybe there is a simular marina in your area.

Maybe you could rig a line between two trees and rig tackle in the middle of that line. I have not tried this last method, but I have used the other above ways to raise/lower a larger mast.

Good Luck,
John & Nancy Martin
Sailing on Lake Lanier just NE of Atlanta
CD31 #85 "Carina" 1985
rogergaby

Post by rogergaby »

Thanks John and Nancy.
Unfortunately , the boat is on the hard, has been for over 3 years. It's sitting in the open far away from any tree or structure I might be able to hang a line off of. A gin pole is a consideration but it will have to be stepped in the cockpit for stability. Standing atop the cuddy top put my feet just about 7 feet off the ground. The 6 foot beam of the TY, and much narrower width of the cuddy does not leave much room for comfort once the mast starts to tilt (we know that from experience). A previous respondant said that they stepped (?) the mast without aid-a seemingly impossible task to me since the leverage forces on ones shoulder would be quite heavy,never mind having a wobble of an inch or two to really upset
the balance.
Thanks again.
Roger
John Martin

Post by John Martin »

A very interesting problem of rigging and geometary. Maybe an A-frame that reaches 4'-5' above the spreaders? Attach block and tackle at the apex. That should provide a stable hoist point? Let us all know how you solve the problem. Photos would be nice. Good Luck.
John & Nancy Martin
Sailing on Lake Lanier just NE of Atlanta
CD31 #85 "Carina" 1985
jepomer

Post by jepomer »

The Typhoon mast is probably 30' long and weighs 1.3 lbs per foot. So the mast probably weighs about 50 lbs and "a bit" with all the rigging. It is heft-able but the long pole will be awkward to keep steady.

If it is keel-stepped, it will need to be lifted several feet before tilting. You will need an A-frame with two legs going out to a stable point - preferably forward of the mast. Use a stanchion base or similar. Stabilize the A-frame with a line that goes to the bow. The A-frame legs can be made using long 2" x 4" lumber. 16' lengths are readily accessible and should work. Longer legs can be made by "scarfing" two shorted pieces together.

You will want to attach a hoisting line above the center of gravity which is typically at or above the spreaders. It should be high enough so that the top of the mast won't rotate down when the mast comes out of the deck. You could add some stabilizing lines low to help prevent the base from swinging out unexpectedly.

If set up correctly, a single person would be able to easily step and unstep the mast. Having a second or third person to hold control lines will give you more security.

RIG-RITE web site detailing the Typhoon mast:
http://www.rigrite.com/Spars/Spartan_Sp ... _mast.html
John
CD25 #622
CPDE0622M78E

"You are not going to find the ideal boat. You are not even going to have it if you design it from scratch."
~ Carl Lane
trapper
CD25D, Lake Murray SC

Post by trapper »

Go on line and look up stepping the mast for a Pearson Ensign. It is very much like a Ty DS only bigger (22.5'). A guy at my club built a contraption and he found the plans on line. I will try to describe it but I may mess it up. It works great.

He stands an old spar-- in his case 2 pieces of pipe he bought from Loews--in front of the mast hole. He secures the pipe to the turnbuckles on the chain plate by putting up line that looked like baby stays from the pole. He has a block on the top of the pole. The block on the pole is a couple feet higher than the spreaders. He then lifts the mast up with a line drapped around the spreaders and pulls it up next to the pole then drops the mast through the hole in the deck.

I am sure that I left out some parts so you should look it up. He also had a hard time keeping the pole up and resorted to using tie down straps. Anyway, it worked
mashenden
Location: "Nautica" CD-36 #84, Ty-K #83, & CD-10 #1539 in Urbanna, VA. 4 other Tys in past

Post by mashenden »

Sounds intriguing, Fran:), thank you.

If anyone finds the referenced link on raising a keel stepped mast, please post it. I could not find anything using Google.
Matt Ashenden
- I used to like boating and fixing stuff, then I bought a couple of boats and now I just fix stuff :)

Oh, and please check out my webpage... http://VaRivah.com
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Post by Oswego John »

Hi Matt,

Oy Vey, I want sooo much to sit down and draw a workable sketch of a mast raising system that I have used many times on my Ty W/E's keel mounted masts. Then I would scan it and send it in to the CD forum.

But not right now. Maybe later tonight. I have procrastinated too long on getting my Christmas and holiday cards sent out this year and tonight is the deadline to get them in the mail early tomorrow.

Rather than rush something to you now, I would rather take the necessary time to do it properly with appropriate notes and details pointed out. I experimented with several prototypes of the gin pole method before arriving at a system that was functional to use as well as being safe to work with.

Given adequate time, I think that I may even find some pictures that were taken while developing the gin pole.

So 10-4.
Catch you later. It is now card writing time.
O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
mashenden
Location: "Nautica" CD-36 #84, Ty-K #83, & CD-10 #1539 in Urbanna, VA. 4 other Tys in past

Post by mashenden »

:) No rush. Spring/sailing seems a ways off. Christmas, on the other hand, much closer. I will look for a card any day now!! :?:

This evening, I have been envisioning some designs that I think would work, but if some of the trial and error has been worked out, that would be great.

Happy Holidays
Matt Ashenden
- I used to like boating and fixing stuff, then I bought a couple of boats and now I just fix stuff :)

Oh, and please check out my webpage... http://VaRivah.com
rogergaby

Post by rogergaby »

If anyone finds a good sketch of the gin pole method please send it to me. If I manage to get the Ty fixed up enough to sail I'd like to launch it in February or March. I saw two TY's sailing on the Piankatank yesterday.
The single gin pole method seems most practical since the pole will have to be at least 18 feet in length (distance from keel step to spreaders is 14 feet). If the pole were to be held in position with 3 (or 4 ) lines off the top and extending to the bow,stern and winches ,plus a double pulley system at the top of the pole,a lift of just over 3 feet will be possible to raise the mast out of the cuddy top.
Any comments?
Roger
Markst95
Location: 1972 Typhoon Weekender "SWIFT" Hull #289 Narragansett Bay, RI

Post by Markst95 »

If your going to be raising the mast often what about cutting it and installing a tabernacle. I did this with an oday daysailer and it turned a barely doable job into an easy one. Its basically a hinge at deck level that would allow you to raise the mast as if it was a deck stepped one.