CD Typhoon "Chiquita"

Don't forget to snap some photos while you work on that boat project, then share them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Tim D.

CD Typhoon "Chiquita"

Post by Tim D. »

I thought I would post some photos of work I have done to the Typhoon that I picked up last fall.

I installed Aqua Signal #33 LED Nav lights, trying to keep them as subtle as possible. The sidelights stay protected and yet visible from the front mounted on the cabin side.

The stern light still needs a mounting block to level it, but I thought I would go ahead and install it temporarily as it will take some work to fabricate.

On the interior since the sidelight wiring had to be surface mounted, I faced them off with a plastic wiremold.

I also had a boom tent made out of "Shur Last a Glenn Raven Mills material that is waterproof, breathable,lighter and more packable than Sunbrella. I often camp out in her and will be doing a two week trip to the Canadian Gulf Islands this fall.

David van den Burgh

Looks Great

Post by David van den Burgh »

Looking good. Love those Ty's.
sfreihofer

Post by sfreihofer »

Be proud. Be very proud. And keep up the good work! The results are their own reward, aren't they?
Instant Bubble-head. Just add water.
Tim D.

The reward

Post by Tim D. »

is that she is such a sweet sailing boat :)

Thanks
Markst95
Location: 1972 Typhoon Weekender "SWIFT" Hull #289 Narragansett Bay, RI

Post by Markst95 »

Great Ideas! Nice out of the way place for the running lights.
Tim D.

A little more on the electrical

Post by Tim D. »

I installed a 12 volt system using a 35a/h AGM battery place forward of the battery switch in this photo.

The fused switch panel controls the Nav lights, depth gauge and two ACC. plugs. I use a 5.5W portable solar charger that either plugs into the outside ACC. plug or can be hardwired to the battery.

I use a Bebi "Owl" anchor light that plugs into the outside ACC. plug also.

akerj

typhoon

Post by akerj »

Nice
Tim D.

Traveler

Post by Tim D. »

Finally getting around to posting about some things I have done with the Typhoon. I have never been happy with the mainsheet system so finally went out and bought the hardware and teak to put in a traveler.

I used the smallest sized Garhauer traveler and a 3/1 Garhauer mainsheet block set-up.

I then cut and shaped the base to the curve of the deck.

And then a shot of it completed and mounted.

Last edited by Tim D. on Sep 22nd, '12, 20:50, edited 2 times in total.
Tim D.

Storage

Post by Tim D. »

This last fall we took the Typhoon on a two week cruise in the San Jauns and Gulf Islands. We were able to pack enough by maximizing space and minimizing needs.

Cookbox

Hatch board storage bag

I used plastic containers stowed under cockpit seats for food

My anchor is also stored under the cockpit in a bag

Additionally we used a pump spray shower and small inflatable dinghy that were stored forward of the mast

Last edited by Tim D. on Sep 22nd, '12, 20:48, edited 1 time in total.
Keyscaptainadam

Re: CD Typhoon "Chiquita"

Post by Keyscaptainadam »

to the poster who had the custom tent designed for his cape dory.

any chance you still have the templates or the name of the designer.

i'd like one built for my ty.

adam
S/V Velella .... CD 25 moored in Cold Spring Harbor, Long Island, NY
Sailing long island waters since 2009
http://www.adam-waywell.squarespace.com/
Tim D.

Post by Tim D. »

Keyscaptainadam wrote:to the poster who had the custom tent designed for his cape dory.

any chance you still have the templates or the name of the designer.

i'd like one built for my ty.

adam
Hello Adam, I am out sailing in the PNW for the next month, so the short answer is I designed it myself and did not make a template. When I return home I can do some measurements and post them, but it will be awhile.
Tim

PS the nav lights are LED's Aqua Signal 33
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward
Keyscaptainadam

Post by Keyscaptainadam »

Much appreciated chicquita! Good sailing!
S/V Velella .... CD 25 moored in Cold Spring Harbor, Long Island, NY
Sailing long island waters since 2009
http://www.adam-waywell.squarespace.com/
Skeep
Location: Previously CD Typhoon #729, now Alberg 30 Hull #614

Post by Skeep »

Great stuff. I'm in the "process" on my 1974 Ty Weekender and would like more details on your 12 volt system. I would like to install a solar charging system etc too, but have not idea how to proceed on the battery, amps, wiring, etc. More details the better, thanks!

skeep
Skeep
Supporting Member #1576 of the CDSOA
Current Vessel, Alberg 30 Hull #614 to be named yet
Formerly S/V Hull #729 "Baggy Wrinkles"
Blogsite for Alberg Ty and Alberg 30 continues athttp://baggywrinkles.blogspot.com
Located at Lake Murray Sailing Club, Chapin South Carolina
Tim D.

Post by Tim D. »

Skeep wrote:Great stuff. I'm in the "process" on my 1974 Ty Weekender and would like more details on your 12 volt system. I would like to install a solar charging system etc too, but have not idea how to proceed on the battery, amps, wiring, etc. More details the better, thanks!

skeep
If you have not done any boat wiring before, I highly suggest a good book on the subject. Don Casey's or Nigel Calder's will give you the basics. The first thing you will need to do is determine what your needs are. Here is a link to a a calculating form. http://content.westmarine.com/documents ... ecbugt.pdf

I kept my needs minimal with LED Nav lights, a digital depth sounder and two 12volt plugs one inside and out. I have a LED anchor light that plugs into the outside socket when needed. These circuits run through a combi switch/fuse panel and a battery switch seen in this photo;

None of these see much use, so I get by with a 35 amp/hr AGM battery which is placed behind the battery switch under the VBerth, strapped down.
I use a simple 5watt solar panel that plugs into the 12 volt outlet and doesn't need a controller.

I hope this helps

Tim
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Tim:

Thanks very much for the amp usage chart. I think I will probably need something like that eventually. First, I have to figure out the difference between the little black wire and the little red wire. :)

Also, I reread your post from last year. I am still amazed that you spent two weeks on your Typhoon. When I had my Typhoon Weekender (S/V Tadpole) I spent about 4 hours in the "cabin" to see if it would be OK to overnight in. I had planned to spend longer. After 4 hours I ended my test. I was really uncomfortable. Admittedly, I am old, fat and out of shape. When I was 21 I am guessing it would have been a blast.

Thanks again for the photos and the amp chart.
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil