windpilot pacific on cd 27

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

marka
CD 27
Hull 219
Oswego, NY

windpilot pacific on cd 27

Post by marka »

i added a windpilot pacific to linda jean this year. after careful consideration of the gear installation details and the turning block configuration, i hooked up the control lines and went sailing on sunday with the expectation that i'd have a fairly steep learning curve ahead of me. the gear worked flawlessly with no tuning whatsoever. it held a course with less than 5 deg variation as indicated on the compass and did so on different points of sail. i'll have to tighten up the control lines a bit but that's trivial. sailing single handed is a whole different experience when you're not chained to the tiller.
Mark Abramski
Steve Laume

Re: windpilot pacific on cd 27

Post by Steve Laume »

I have found the wind vane to be the best thing I have ever done to Raven. Second best thing was the salt water foot pump. I tend to use it even on short day trips. It only takes a couple of minuets to set up and steers much better than I do over any longer period of time. I never get a sore neck from looking up at the mast head fly when close hauled either. I may be able to steer better than the vane for a little while but I eventually space a bit and it never does, Steve.
satu

Post by satu »

Is the Pacific Windpilot the "light" model, as was advertised for sale by the CD26 owner in New Hampshire? I own a CD27 (20 years today) and researched that particular unit at length. My concern was giving up access to my hardmounted transom ladder. My swim ladder gets lots of use, but I would love to have a windpilot. Good to know they work well. My Raymarine works well, but I'd never miss that electric actuator whine.

Craig Urquhart
S/V Satu
1984 CD 27 #272
Brunswick, Maine
marka
CD 27
Hull 219
Oswego, NY

Post by marka »

no, this is not the pacific light model. this is the windpilot pacific. the light model is rated for boats up to 5600 lbs displacement if i recall correctly.
Mark Abramski
satu

Post by satu »

Thank you.... I found the post that caught my eye describing the Light version of your pilot.
This windvane was originally purchased for my Cape Dory 26 but never installed, as I sold the boat shortly thereafter. I was going to hang on to it for "the next boat", but pretty much all my sailing is on big traditional sailing ships now and I don't see another smaller boat in my immediate future.

Excellent condition, all the new owner would need is 4 small blocks to run the control lines to your tiller. This vane has made two trips to Bermuda previously, for a total of a couple months use. (One on a Freedom 25, the second on a Contest 30). It is recommended for boats 27 feet or less, but reportedly performed well on the Contest 30...

The ideal windvane for a small cruising boat! Here is the manufacturer's info:
http://windpilot.com/n/wind/en/prod/lite/

The Pacific Light sells new for $2250; I'm looking for $1000 firm (or $1200 if it makes you feel good to negotiate! )
The mention of 27 feet and prior mounting on the Contest 30 made me think it might work on my CD27.

Anyway, I resisted the temptation but a windvane remains high on my short list.

I'd be curious to hear more on your experience after accumuling more hours in a variety of sea conditions.

Good luck & happy sailing with your new pilot.
marka
CD 27
Hull 219
Oswego, NY

Post by marka »

I'm very impressed with the units design and construction. John Vigor, who i've never corresponded with, and Bob Schwartz who i have also installed the windpilot pacific on CD 27s. There's quite a bit of information in the archives.

the installation on the 27 is nonstandard because the interior of the transom has a backstay support glassed in which interferes with the windpilot's factory mounting bracket. You therefore have to come up with some other arrangement. I owe Bob a report and pics on the details of my installation. once i download the pics from the wife's camera i'll try to figure out how to post them
Mark Abramski
Ldybg
CD 28 #125
Raritan YC, NJ

Post by Ldybg »

Did you look at other wind vanes before deciding on the wind pilot? The price of the Norvane seems enticing but is there a reason for it being under priced?

Thanks,
Dennis
Russell

Post by Russell »

Ldybg wrote:Did you look at other wind vanes before deciding on the wind pilot? The price of the Norvane seems enticing but is there a reason for it being under priced?

Thanks,
Dennis
Norvane is made in the US, Windpilot is made in Europe, I suspect that is primary factor in the price difference.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
marka
CD 27
Hull 219
Oswego, NY

Post by marka »

never really studied the norvane. i went with recommendations from bob schwartz & john vigor. i'm glad i did. the unit is really well engineered, performs flawlessly and the installation was straightforward.
Mark Abramski