CD 22s

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

shavdog

sailboatlistings.com

Post by shavdog »

a cd22 with trailer, motor and rf showed up today for 8900...price is good..
rtwhitman2

size- compromize

Post by rtwhitman2 »

Joe: If I go beyond a 22, I'll probably end up with another 33. I've sailed 25s and I think they are very good, in fact all the CD's I've sailed (through 36) are about the best boats I've been on. I'm not off-shore as much as when I was a bit younger so a smaller boat I can bring home in December is attractive. The first boat I looked at, a long time ago, was a Bristol 24D, which I think is very similar to the later CD 25D. I ended up restoring a Bristol 30, which I then upgraded to a new CD 33 sloop. Not sure where all this will lead but I'm at least moving in a direction.
Johnd

Re: CD 22s

Post by Johnd »

rtwhitman2 wrote:I've been looking at Tys but I'm concerned they might be too small for 4/5 day excursions. Now, I'm also considering a CD 22 and ideally a CD 22D. I can't find a lot of information about the 22D (ie: how many were made, powerplant, interior layout, etc.). Any suggestions? Also, the 22 has a motor well. Is it pratical? Is there a lot of drag under sail? Will a motor run with the well hatch closed?
The 22 is a great little boat. We have a 9.9 mounted on our stern. While not real attractive, it powers her nicely. Our Mercury has an electric start with a built-in alternator to repower the battery. I've seen the motor well on the 22 adapted out of the rear storage area, but it looks like an expensive fg job. My wife and I have spent several nights on her and at 5'5'' it's fine for us.

Best of luck hunting for your new CD, whatever size it may be.

John d
Godspeed 27
Chesapeake Bay
CDSOA member # 1325
shavdog

Holy Cow...Another One Is Listed

Post by shavdog »

Two cd 22's in one day??..that will never happen again...14k for this one...the exterior looks nice..of course mines nicer, I dont care what the ad says..lol
Bill Moore
Portland, ME

Simplicity?

Post by Bill Moore »

I have been thinking about this post--the original entry struck me that the poster is looking to simplify his sailing. I value that aspect of owning my 22, and one of the simplification aspects I value the most is the outboard. True, there is extra weight on the transom, and rough seas will kick it out of the water.

Against that, consider some of the most common threads on the board:
1) Steering in reverse. I can turn on a dime, forward and reverse, and the boat goes where I expect. Every time.
2) Prop drag. I chuckle when I read the 'free wheeling' vs. 'locked' discussions. The only real solution is zero drag--lift the prop out of the water.
3) And the big one for me: $. Engine problem? Pull the engine off the transom and fix it. It's easy, quick, and a lot cheaper than getting someone to visit the boat.
shavdog

For what you want

Post by shavdog »

I would look at a cd25 with an outboard...theres plenty around and I am positive you can find one cheaper than a 22
Jack Carr

CD22D

Post by Jack Carr »

Before I got my 22D I looked at similar options and with some advice from a friend I went with the 22D because I planned on a lot of solo sailing and I did not want to be concerned when the wind picked up. I made the right choice.

Outboard motors are fine for some boats but there will be times when reaching over and pushing the button and hearing the diesel roar to life will remind you why the inboard motor was a good idea.

I also suggest putting on a 3 blade propeller. You might not win any races but when the strong tides in Maine pull on your boat at the worst time you will be happy to have more bite in the water.
Jack
rtwhitman2

22D

Post by rtwhitman2 »

Jack:
I think I'm heading in your direction. I'm also a single-hander and tend to be under sail for extended periods of time. The security and accommodation offered by an inboard are tough to discount. There is no bad CD from my perspective and choosing one is just a matter getting the best fit. I like the three-blade prop idea -- which is what I had on the 33. I'm curious about the "drive" of the original motor, it sound as though it's pretty strong. What is your typical rate of speed under normal conditions? How easy is it to get out of the way of potential trouble (tide, shipping, etc.)/
Jack Carr

CD 22D

Post by Jack Carr »

Normal crusing speed is between 4-5 knots. I asked how far I would go on a tank of fuel and was told 'You'll never know'. At cruising speed a tank will take you as far as you want to go.

The toughest test I ever put on the boat is going though the gut entering Bidderford Pool's inner harbor at full tide run. The motor has always handled it but it can be a slow process.

The 22 can turn on a dime. I would avoid trying to steer in reverse. Full keel boats don't back up well.
Jack