CD 22s

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

rtwhitman2

CD 22s

Post by rtwhitman2 »

I've been looking at Tys but I'm concerned they might be too small for 4/5 day excursions. Now, I'm also considering a CD 22 and ideally a CD 22D. I can't find a lot of information about the 22D (ie: how many were made, powerplant, interior layout, etc.). Any suggestions? Also, the 22 has a motor well. Is it pratical? Is there a lot of drag under sail? Will a motor run with the well hatch closed?
Jim Buck

RE: CD22's

Post by Jim Buck »

The CD22 had two power options; one an inboard Yanmar 1GM (CD22D) and the other (CD22) an outboard motor mounted on a bracket on the stern. The "22" with the outboard well is actually the Typhoon Senior. For more info on Cape Dorys, please click on the "About Cape Dorys" page located at the top of this page. You can navigate to the particular models there for more specifications. Hope this helps in your quest for one of the finest sailing vessels available.

Jim
Jim Buck
Member #1004
Markst95
Location: 1972 Typhoon Weekender "SWIFT" Hull #289 Narragansett Bay, RI

Post by Markst95 »

I've done some longer stays on my Ty and it can be done. Give me a pm if you want and I can give you an idea of what its like. Mark
GLutzow

Post by GLutzow »

I used to spend a week camping/cruising on my Weekender with my wife and my, then, 3 year old daughter. She' 29 now....sigh!!
Greg Lutzow
Nokomis, FL

CD25
"Beau Soleil"
sailing off a mooring in Sarasota Bay

With nothin' but stillness as far as you please
An' the silly mirage stringin' islands an' seas.
rtwhitman2

CD 22s

Post by rtwhitman2 »

All: The Ty and 22 are such beautiful boats, I find the outboard hanging off the back to be (a necessary, but) terrible distraction. That's why the thought of a well or inboard are of interest. The question is whether wells actually work. If they do, why so many outboard brackets? Any experience realting to drag under sail or whether an outboard engine will work with a ventilated well hatch closed? I'm generally a singlehander so I can be creative with small space. But, in nasty weather built in features such as an ice bin are much preferred over a lot of tie-down portable aparatus -- hence the interest in a CD 22.
Markst95
Location: 1972 Typhoon Weekender "SWIFT" Hull #289 Narragansett Bay, RI

Post by Markst95 »

There are advantages\disadvantages to both the stern mount and well mounted outboards. Check the archives, I believe there are a few discussions. The one main disadvantage to well mounts is you have to leave the outboards lower end in the water all the time. Be prepared to spend extra time and money on maintenance. I keep my Ty on a mooring and store my Honda 2hp inside the cabin. Its fairly easy to attach since it weighs only 28 lbs. Its also nice to be able to rotate the motor 360 degrees, I can spin the boat in its own diameter. One disadvantage is it only runs about an hour on a tank of gas and can be a pain to fill if its rough.
Gary M
1982 CD22
Marina del Rey, CA

Typhoon vs CD22

Post by Gary M »

I've owned and loved both!

Four to five day trips can be done in either but in my opinion doing a four day trip in a Typhoon is for the very young and the very skinny! (I was both back then)

A CD22 will provide much more comfort for longer trips.

As far as the outboard placement. Again, I've had both a well (Columbia 26 Mk I) and my current CD22. No one will argue that an outboard bracket on the stern looks good but the manuverablily and far more storage is very desirable.

IMHO I would go for a CD22 over a Ty and a outboard bracket over a well. For a small boat I would also go with an outboard over an inboard.

Best of luck in your search for a fine boat what ever it is.

Gary
Bob B

Outboard

Post by Bob B »

The only drawback to the outboard is in a rough chop. The outboard may clear the water and spin causing it to eventually shear a pin or something of the sort as well as not allowing much headway. I have my second Typhoon where we traveled for a few days last summer. The only drawback was the outboard. If I had a choice CD22D would be best. They are hard to find though so good luck.

Bob B.
CD Typhoon Liberty
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

I owned a Typhoon Weekender and loved her. I intended to do some limited cruising (Florida Keys, etc.) with her. Early on I spent 4-5 hours in her "cabin" to see what a few days would be like sleeping aboard. It was not comfortable for me. As I have said, if I was a skinny 22 yoa again with a young girlfriend I am sure I would have loved it. :wink:

You may also want to consider availability. There were a LOT of Typhoon Weekenders built (1900+); by comparison, only a few Cape Dory 22s (170+); and, I think, even fewer Cape Dory 22Ds.

There are always 8-10 or more Typhoon Weekenders for sale on Yachtworld.com and similar websites.
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
nhammatt

Post by nhammatt »

RT.

Last September I spent my honeymoon on a CD22 cruising the coast of Maine for three weeks, and I am still married.

I have to concur with Gary’s assessment.
Cruising on either the 22 or Ty could perhaps be better described as “water campingâ€
Bob B

CD 25D

Post by Bob B »

I addition to the Typhoon, we've had a 25D. This is the best of the small cruisers. The problem is the trailerability. The 25D is not really a trailerable boat like the 25 is.
It was great for cruising though and while bigger boats were heading back to the docks because the weather had piped up some, we were still sailing.
ronkberg

nhammatt, CD22 motor mounting?

Post by ronkberg »

"The motor is currently mounted in an aft well and any performance loss due to drag is unnoticeable."

Hi Nat, I thought that the TySr had an aft well but the CD-22 only had the outside motor mount. Is this true? If so, then did you do a modification for well mounting?

What year is your CD-22 and where are you moored in Maine? I sail out of Saco Bay on a Typhoon and have been thinking of going up to a CD 22 footer and the TySr looks more appealing because of the aft well.

Regards from another Mainer, Ron
Ron Kallenberg
Old Orchard Beach, Maine
Sailing in Saco Bay, Maine
Gary H

Ty and 22D

Post by Gary H »

I purchased my Ty Weekender 5 years ago with the fantasy of spending some weekends on her. Being 6 ft tall and over 60 years old, sleeping in the Ty turned out not to be that much fun. My wife spent one night in it and refused to do so again. I am now restoring a 22D which will replace my Ty when complete. There is a very big difference in cabin size between a Ty and a 22. I am looking forward to spending nights on the 22.
rtwhitman2

CD 22s

Post by rtwhitman2 »

All: The views have been very helpful. I'm now headed toward a CD 22D. Its inboard is only about 100 lbs heavier than a typical outboard, delivers more efficient power, and is much less bother from a fuel perspective. I want a boat I can trailer and the 22 seems the best compromise between sailing/living space and mobility. An inboard also offers a number of colateral benefits: cabin heat/drying on cold wet days late into the season, a source for generating hot water, reliable populsion in heavy weather, a good way to keep batteries up, etc. I also like the added ventilation on a CD 22 (hatch, ports, etc.) This is all a big experiment as my last vessel was a CD 33, which I adored. Now, finding a good 22D is another matter.
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Re: CD 22s

Post by Joe Myerson »

rtwhitman2 wrote:I'm now headed toward a CD 22D. Its inboard is only about 100 lbs heavier than a typical outboard, delivers more efficient power, and is much less bother from a fuel perspective. I want a boat I can trailer and the 22 seems the best compromise between sailing/living space and mobility. ... Now, finding a good 22D is another matter.
Good luck in your search.

You might want to consider the 25D, if you can't find a 22D (both are in relatively scarce supply, but the 22D is a rare bird indeed).

I've found my 25D almost ideal--but it is NOT really a trailer boat.

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627