Virus Problem

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Larry McAnally

AVG

Post by Larry McAnally »

I am having the same problem with my home computer. Using IE and AVG. Get the same message and cannot access the board.
I will try some of the suggested fixes and provide the info in hope that someone will find the cause. I had made no changes to my browser or antivirus sw.
Also: I received a message on my personal EMail from a
" BLACK MoSHANNON" who said he got my name from the board.
I did not open it as it looked suspicious!
TKS to all
Duncan
Montreal, QC

New "Black Hat SEO" warning from AVG

Post by Duncan »

The page you are trying to access has been identified as a known exploit, phishing, or social engineering web site and therefore has been blocked for your safety.
This just popped up again this morning.

Has something changed on this site? I know there have been hacking problems here before.

I don't wish to change my anti-virus program, as has been recommended previously: I have used AVG for years and found it to be very reliable.

This site is the only one which generates this warning. What is being done here to cause it to reappear?
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Re: New "Black Hat SEO" warning from AVG

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Duncan wrote:
The page you are trying to access has been identified as a known exploit, phishing, or social engineering web site and therefore has been blocked for your safety.

Has something changed on this site? I know there have been hacking problems here before.

I don't wish to change my anti-virus program, as has been recommended previously: I have used AVG for years and found it to be very reliable.

This site is the only one which generates this warning. What is being done here to cause it to reappear?
Nothing, which is exactly why it appears. We are still using the original phpBB message board software that we installed back in 2005. It was extensively modified making it difficult to update. So it has never been updated and that means that no security updates have been implemented either and so AVG doesn't like it.

We are planning to install the latest version of phpBB in the very near future. When we do that, we will NOT apply all of those modifications that give the board that look and feel that it has presently. We'll keep it as close to the standard "out-of-the-box" installation as possible so that the volunteer web team can more easily manage it and keep it as up-to-date as possible.

Cathy
Webmaster -- CDSOA, Inc.
Message Board Admin. - CDSOA, Inc.
CDSOA Associate Member #265
Founding member of Northeast Fleet
Former owner of CD32 Realization, #3 (owned from 1995-2022)
Greenline 39 Electra
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
Duncan
Montreal, QC

Security Updates

Post by Duncan »

Cathy Monaghan wrote:
Duncan wrote:

Nothing, which is exactly why it appears. We are still using the original phpBB message board software that we installed back in 2005. It was extensively modified making it difficult to update. So it has never been updated and that means that no security updates have been implemented either and so AVG doesn't like it.

We are planning to install the latest version of phpBB in the very near future. When we do that, we will NOT apply all of those modifications that give the board that look and feel that it has presently. We'll keep it as close to the standard "out-of-the-box" installation as possible so that the volunteer web team can more easily manage it and keep it as up-to-date as possible.

Cathy
Webmaster -- CDSOA, Inc.
Thanks, Cathy, for the very prompt response. Good luck with the security updates!
MFC
Hull No.128

Using AVG 2012

Post by MFC »

Hi All -
I am using AVG 2012 and I was receiving threat reports and unable to access the site. I disabled the surf shield which is a subpart of the "link-scanner" menu in the AVG interface. Its purpose appears to be to filter out websites (sites) that are nefarious. I do have my doubts about some of you, but I think this site, on the whole, is probably not a threat . . .. Anyway, that is what worked for me. I will probably see if I can limit the privillege to just this site.

Best,
Matt
Duncan
Montreal, QC

Temporary AVG Workaround

Post by Duncan »

Hi Matt

I can't find a way to selectively disable the Surf Shield, just for this site. I don't want to disable it globally all the time, so what I do now is open AVG and disable the Surf Shield whenever I visit capedory.org. I turn it back on after I visit here.

Needless to say, this is very inconvenient, so I am hoping the security updates will soon be applied to this board.
MFC wrote:Hi All -
I am using AVG 2012 and I was receiving threat reports and unable to access the site. I disabled the surf shield which is a subpart of the "link-scanner" menu in the AVG interface. Its purpose appears to be to filter out websites (sites) that are nefarious. I do have my doubts about some of you, but I think this site, on the whole, is probably not a threat . . .. Anyway, that is what worked for me. I will probably see if I can limit the privillege to just this site.

Best,
Matt
Scott Launey
Naugus Fiberglass Mfg. Located: San Diego

Post by Scott Launey »

I'm using AVG 2012 on Firefox also and have had the same problem for about a week. I'm doing what Duncan is; disabling AVG while on the Cape Dory Board and then turning it back on. Has anyone contacted AVG about this to see if any updates are in work?
Scott
Scott Launey
San Diego, CA
1966 Typhoon Weekender
"Angelina"
Naugus Mfg. #36
Scott Launey
Naugus Fiberglass Mfg. Located: San Diego

Post by Scott Launey »

I'm using AVG 2012 on Firefox also and have had the same problem for about a week. I'm doing what Duncan is; disabling AVG while on the Cape Dory Board and then turning it back on. Has anyone contacted AVG about this to see if any updates are in work?
Scott
Scott Launey
San Diego, CA
1966 Typhoon Weekender
"Angelina"
Naugus Mfg. #36
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

TO: All of you computer "geeks".
(And I use that term in a kind and loving way) :D

SUBJECT: Virus

Are all of these "AVG 2012", "Surf Shield", "phpBB" "Firefox" things that those of us who are "computer challenged" need to be worried about :?:

Cause if not, you are scaring the BeeJeezus out of this computer challenged dummy.

So far, I only had one problem. It was about 1 month ago, maybe the end of Sept more or less. I got some crazy screen message. Cathy later said the problem was fixed.

Is there something I should be doing to my computer BEFORE I log onto the CDSOA website :?: If so, please explain it in very, very simple words.
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Sea Hunt Video wrote:TO: All of you computer "geeks".
(And I use that term in a kind and loving way) :D

SUBJECT: Virus

Are all of these "AVG 2012", "Surf Shield", "phpBB" "Firefox" things that those of us who are "computer challenged" need to be worried about :?:

Cause if not, you are scaring the BeeJeezus out of this computer challenged dummy.

So far, I only had one problem. It was about 1 month ago, maybe the end of Sept more or less. I got some crazy screen message. Cathy later said the problem was fixed.

Is there something I should be doing to my computer BEFORE I log onto the CDSOA website :?: If so, please explain it in very, very simple words.
Nope. If you're not using AVG, you won't have a problem and don't need to worry.

Cathy
Webmaster - CDSOA, Inc.
Message Board Admin. - CDSOA, Inc.
CDSOA Associate Member #265
Founding member of Northeast Fleet
Former owner of CD32 Realization, #3 (owned from 1995-2022)
Greenline 39 Electra
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay