Virus Problem

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Markst95
Location: 1972 Typhoon Weekender "SWIFT" Hull #289 Narragansett Bay, RI

Virus Problem

Post by Markst95 »

I'm getting a black hat virus message from my anti virus program whenever I go to this message board. Anyone else getting it?
Solmar
Robinhood 36
Wolfeboro, NH

Virus

Post by Solmar »

We've been getting the same message for about a week. Using AVG for Virus Protection.
Kilgore
Sea Cliff, NY
Member #1209

Post by Kilgore »

what browser?
DaveCD28

Post by DaveCD28 »

I've been getting it too from my home computer, also using AVG. Browser is Internet Explorer 8 or 9 (can't remember and can't check right now since I'm currently on different computer)

The computer I am using now doesn't show the error, but it is running an older Internet Explorer with Symantec.
Duncan
Montreal, QC

AVG Free 2011

Post by Duncan »

I had it "momentarily", the same day I was prompted for an AVG update (to AVG Free 2011). When the update completed, the warning went away.

AVG Version: 10.0.1152
Virus Database Version: 424/3220

Firefox 3.6.2, Windows XP SP2
bill2

Sat

Post by bill2 »

I too got it - it hit last Sat . It Seemed the problem picked one ( ? ) site to focus on .

I'm using firefox on ms vista but it doesn't seem they were at fault.

Cathy M and I exchanged an email or three and determined it was my pc . ( Kudos to Cathy for quick response and help ! )

So I switched out avg free antivirus software v 9. for ms' free antivirus software and haven't had any problems since.

ymmv

Good Luck
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Nothing wrong with our site....it's AVG

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Check your browser and your antivirus software, 'cause it aint us. That said, some antivirus software, especially the latest versions, consider social networks as "Blackhat SEO" threats because folks can easily embed bogus links in their postings. Just be careful before clicking on any links within postings and emails.

Are you using AVG antivirus? That software doesn't like our site. There's probably a setting somewhere in the AVG software that you can change to make it trust our site, but since I don't use that software, I'm not familiar with how it works. You'll have to see if you can find it. Otherwise, if those error messages are really bothersome, consider switching to a different anti-virus program.

- Cathy Monaghan
Webmaster--CDSOA, Inc.
Ray Garcia

Try a different browser...

Post by Ray Garcia »

You can also try (all free):

Google Chrome
http://www.google.com/chrome/

Firefox
http://www.firefox.com

Safari for Windows
http://www.apple.com/safari/

Any of these will work with our site. All website browsers including Microsoft Internet Explorer have custom security settings to keep your computer and data safe. I won't turn this into a computer help board since I'd rather think about the return of spring. Google "browser security settings for Firefox" or your favorite version to help you find the best settings for your situation.

As Cathy mentioned, our site is pretty much risk free, but some anti-virus software may pickup links, photos, and attachments as containing a virus. Look at the bright side, your anti-virus software really works.

Be safe out there.

/Rg
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

If you can't figure out how to change the settings for either your browser or AVG to mark our site as safe, and you find that virus alert bothersome, consider changing antivirus software. I know that if you're using AVG it's probably because it was FREE. There are other FREE antivirus software programs out there. And since I'm not familiar with most of them, I can neither recommend any of them nor guarantee that you won't get the same result as with AVG. Anyway, check them out at CNET.com before downloading and installing any of them on your computer. And don't forget that you must first remove (using the "Add/Remove program" Control Panel) the AVG software before you can install the new antivirus program. You cannot just drag it to the trash can.

[NOTE: Don't download anything that CNET hasn't reviewed. There are alot of bogus programs out there masquerading as antivirus programs when they are in fact viral themselves.]

-Cathy
tartansailor

No issues here because:

Post by tartansailor »

No issues here because we are using Mozilla Firefox for our browser, and Avast free anti virus.
I know I'm repeating the obvious, but IE is a magnet for every thing awful; Why? because it is so big and the degenerates get the biggest hits for their efforts.

Dick
John Vigor

Re: Nothing wrong with our site....it's AVG

Post by John Vigor »

Cathy Monaghan wrote: Are you using AVG antivirus? That software doesn't like our site. There's probably a setting somewhere in the AVG software that you can change to make it trust our site, but since I don't use that software, I'm not familiar with how it works. You'll have to see if you can find it. Otherwise, if those error messages are really bothersome, consider switching to a different anti-virus program.

- Cathy Monaghan
Webmaster--CDSOA, Inc.
Just for the record, I am using free AVG 2011 and Internet Explorer with Windows XP and I have had no problems at all on this site. I didn't tweak the AVG software -- it's just as AVG supplied it.

The mystery remains.

Cheers,

John V.
Duncan
Montreal, QC

AVG Free 2011

Post by Duncan »

John Vigor wrote:
Cathy Monaghan wrote:...That software doesn't like our site... consider switching to a different anti-virus program.
Just for the record, I am using free AVG 2011 and Internet Explorer with Windows XP and I have had no problems at all on this site. I didn't tweak the AVG software -- it's just as AVG supplied it.
Like John V., I haven't had any anitivirus problems with this Cape Dory site until last week. As I noted in my post before, the warning about Blackhat Search Engine Optimization (SEO) disappeared as soon as I updated.

I had no AVG problems with any other site on the internet except capedory.org/toolworks.org.
Markst95
Location: 1972 Typhoon Weekender "SWIFT" Hull #289 Narragansett Bay, RI

Post by Markst95 »

Just updated to AVG free 2011 and its working fine now with firefox.
Joe CD MS 300
Location: Cape Dory Motor Sailor 300 / "Quest" / Linekin Bay - Boothbay Harbor

Post by Joe CD MS 300 »

No problems with MacAfee on a Windows XP laptop or Norton on a Windows 7 desktop.
Better to find humility before humility finds you.
Randy Capstick
Location: 1980 Ty Weekender, 1984 CD36 Glen Margaret, Nova Scotia, Canada

AVG Pop-up

Post by Randy Capstick »

I had the same pop-up over the past few weeks and to stop it from appearing I opened the AVG user interface, doubleclick on Link Scanner, scroll to settings at bottom and deselect (uncheck) "enable AVG search-shield" and "Enable active surf-shield...Save changes and it never reappeared.

Updating to a newer version of AVG is probably a better option since then your link scanner would still be fully functional.

Randy