fresh water cooling

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

jwkennedy

fresh water cooling

Post by jwkennedy »

The exhaust manifold of the 1978 MD7A Volvo engine in my Cape Dory 28 was replaced in 2002 after about 750 hours. In 2010 a clogged coolant pipe was replaced and the engine is running well. Would installation of a fresh water cooling system be practical or possible at this point?
tartansailor

Re: fresh water cooling

Post by tartansailor »

jwkennedy wrote:The exhaust manifold of the 1978 MD7A Volvo engine in my Cape Dory 28 was replaced in 2002 after about 750 hours. In 2010 a clogged coolant pipe was replaced and the engine is running well. Would installation of a fresh water cooling system be practical or possible at this point?
I don't think so.
You will still be running raw water through your exhaust.

Dick
Jim Lewis

md7a

Post by Jim Lewis »

Engine still running well.....just bump starter and it goes.....about every ten years have to do a clean out when temp gauge starts to cycle......I try and leave engine with fresh water in the system if not going to run it regular.....add antifreeze if temps cold.....otherwise just leave it as it is when shut down.....lets see 78 88 98 2008 2011 33 yrs and still going ......
Jim Lewis