Typhoon in light air?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Early Typhoons

Post by Oswego John »

DC,

You have mentioned several times that Andy V bought the rights to manufacture the Typhoon in 1964. I would like to learn the source of that information. It would be key in solving some unknowns. As I stated earlier, Cape Dory was producing some CD-10s and CD-14s in 1964. The CD specs clearly state that the first Ty produced by Cape Dory was in 1967.

You stated that both you and your friend own Typhoons and both have a hull number #33. I could be wrong, but I bet your bronze hull plate is square with an inverted "U" notch cut out of its bottom. Check the hull plate on your friends Ty and note if it is oval shaped.

The Naugus hull plates were the square shape and to the best of my knowledge had their own series of hull numbers. The Tys made by Cape Dory had the oval plates and their hull numbers were a separate entity from Naugus'. I'm definitely uncertain of, and trying to ascertain the veracity of these hull numbers. Maybe, having access to both Tys, you could shed some light on the subject.

Think spring,
O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
dcfairclough
Location: Herreshoff lapstrake sailing dinghy, Narwhal, Newport, Rhode Island

naugus Typhoon

Post by dcfairclough »

oj.. the name plate is cast and wrapped around the tiller on the rear bulhead. the other cape dory is not like that as you have said. I will go back and see what other information i can find so we can get to the bottom of this. Oh by the way did you go to the website for sailboatsailboat.com ?
"Let's travel the world"
Scott Launey
Naugus Fiberglass Mfg. Located: San Diego

Naugus vs Cape Dory

Post by Scott Launey »

Oswego and DC,

I just bought a Naugus built Typhoon Hull #36 with the square name plate over the rudder post. She also has round port lights on the cabin that look original. The title says 1966 and I'm only the third owner and I think I can get in touch with the original owner who maybe can answer some of our questions. I'd love to learn more from both of you about these boats as I love them. Mine's a Weekender, fractional rig and the mast used to be stepped on the keel, but the previous owner changed it to a tabernacle stepped on deck. That's the only major change I think made to her. She lived in Fairhope, AL for her early life and now is in San Diego, CA. Her name has been "Angelina" from the begining and I'd love to get a conversation going with you both and others about the Typhoons. Is your first name Oswego or John?
Scott
Scott Launey
San Diego, CA
1966 Typhoon Weekender
"Angelina"
Naugus Mfg. #36
Oswego John

Re: Naugus vs Cape Dory

Post by Oswego John »

Scott Launey wrote:Oswego and DC,

Is your first name Oswego or John?
Scott
Hi Scott,

My first name is John. I live in a Garden of Eden like city called Oswego, NY which lies on the east shore of Lake Ontario.

I, personally, have never seen a Typhoon that was made by Naugus that had port windows in the cuddy. Since the previous owner changed the way the mast is mounted, perhaps he also had ports installed in the cabin? I don't know the answer.

By the way, I presently own two Naugus made Tys and am hoping to pick up another one in two weeks or so. They are getting pretty scarce lately.

Keep in touch,

John from Oswego :D
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
Scott Launey

Thphoon

Post by Scott Launey »

John,

Thanks for your reply and I know I'll have many questions. I'm glad this board is available for new Ty owners like me. If I can figure out how to put pictures on it, I'll do it soon. One quick question. I sailed with 4 people in the small cockpit and it really seems down by the stern. Even with two it's down a little. I was wondering if the forward bulkhead which completely seals the forward two feet or so of the bow could be opened and a hatch installed to access the space from the cabin so anchors and such weight could be put farther forward?
What do you think?

Scott

p.s. Oswego would be a great first name!
Scott Launey
San Diego, CA
1966 Typhoon Weekender
"Angelina"
Naugus Mfg. #36
dcfairclough

Naugus Tyhoon

Post by dcfairclough »

Scott, I picked up my typhoon last fall and have been fixing it up over the winter. The for and aft bulkheads were rotted and the cock pit floor too. I replaced all three and now I'm just fairing and getting ready to finish her. The more I work on her the more I like her. By the way my boat has four port lights too. Since I replaced the main bulkhead I haven't put two of them back in yet. Good luck with her. They are getting to be rare.

DC
"Let's travel the world"
Scott Launey

Naugus Typhoon

Post by Scott Launey »

DC,

Just wondering what you found forward of the forward bulkhead. Mine's completely sealed off. I assume it's been that way since it was built. I'd like to open it up to get some storage forward and also to have enough length to store some oars down below. I could put a hatch or compression strut to keep the structural integrity.

Scott
Scott Launey
San Diego, CA
1966 Typhoon Weekender
"Angelina"
Naugus Mfg. #36
grajmahal

Typoon anchor locker

Post by grajmahal »

Scott - I have kind of done what you are talking about. I have an older Weekender, and there was no forward bulkhead, just open cabin all the way to the bow. I added a 1"foam and fiber/epoxy sandwich bulkhead about 20" back from the bow, and cut an anchor locker into the foredeck. (purists take note: this deck was in such bad condition as to need extensive re-coring, so in this case a little modification was no sin) A couple of concerns if you are going to try this are :

1) you will have to add a bit of floor to the locker area in order to ensure that it is above the water-line for drainage purposes. Mine drains back to the cockpit drain through-hulls. You don't want a chainlocker that fills with water. and

2) whatever hatch you engineer will need self-draining and a pass-through for anchor rode while at anchor (so that you can pay out whatever scope you need and leave the rest below with the hatch closed.

My approach to getting the hole cut was to use a small circular saw set to the full depth of the deck and to cut a hole that was 1" smaller on all sides than I want the finished hole to be. Then, I set the depth on the saw to the depth of just the top layer plus the core, and cut the finished opening. This left me a nice 1" lip of lower core material to glass up and build a 'stop' for the hatch.

I don't know how to get photos up, but if somebody points to a tutorial, I can post a couple of what this looks like.

John Braun
Minneapolis
Scott Launey

Typhoon Locker

Post by Scott Launey »

grajmahal,

I was actually thinking about putting a plastic hatch in the bulkhead so I could access the bow area from the cabin and not the deck. I don't anchor all that much and it would be just a little lunch hook so I thought I'd stash it up there. Right now I've got about 2' of a void up there. My weekender is an early Naugus built with a wooden bulkhead back about 2' from the bow and no access up front. My deck's in good shape so I don't want to cut into it. I also wanted to get any dead weight farther forward as my Ty seems to ride a little down by the stern.
Thanks for your help.

Scott
Scott Launey
San Diego, CA
1966 Typhoon Weekender
"Angelina"
Naugus Mfg. #36
dcfairclough

Naugus Typhoon

Post by dcfairclough »

Scott, Here's my take on it. I am also going to cut in a watertight hatch or something. Just haven't gotten that far yet. When I got the boat I changed the Aft transom bulk head so that it wasn't open.It is completely sealed up now. In the process I discovered why cape dory made the modifications to their design. I want the forward and aft bulk heads water tight in an effort to create some buoyancy if she ever rolled but I don't know for sure if that will work or not. Hey here is my website Link if you care to see her. sailboatsailboat.com
"Let's travel the world"
Scott Launey

Typhoon Bulkheads

Post by Scott Launey »

DC,

Nice looking Naugus Ty! Your teak looks super. My wood has all been painted except for the rails. I like the idea of opening up the forward void for storage. I plan on putting a water tight hatch in the opening, but there already is a limber hole at the bottom so it's not air tight anyway. Below my rear deck I've got speakers which provide good sound to the cockpit so I can't close that up. I've got a garden tractor battery under the V between the berths to power the CD player and a small solar cell keeps it charged; works great on those lazy sailing evenings. I'll let you know how the hatch install goes and pictures when I figure out how to put them on the board.

Scott
Scott Launey
San Diego, CA
1966 Typhoon Weekender
"Angelina"
Naugus Mfg. #36
Oswego John

Naugus Typhoons Vs Cape Dory Tys

Post by Oswego John »

Going through my magic shoe box, on command photo filing retrieval system, I came across this oldie but goodie.

This is the hull ID plate for the older Naugus Fiberglass Co., makers of my original Ty which I still own. I estimate that it dates back to maybe late 1965 or early 1966.

On afterthought, this plaque is older than some of the members reading this. Wow. The horseshoe shaped cutaway straddles the rudder post.

Best regards,

O J

"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
Scott Launey

Naugus Plate

Post by Scott Launey »

OJ,

That's exactly the plate I have on mine # 36. I put on a jib downhaul line this weekend and had a sail in San Diego Bay where we've had a Grey Whale in the harbor for a week or so and I was able to spend about 15 minutes in it's company; what a thrill.

Scott
Scott Launey
San Diego, CA
1966 Typhoon Weekender
"Angelina"
Naugus Mfg. #36
jhutchison

Interesting research....

Post by jhutchison »

I stumbled upon this post doing some research, and find it very interesting. I am hoping to purchase an older model Typhoon in the coming weeks. There is a rectangular bronze plaque at the rear of the cockpit that says hull #50. "Alberg Typhoon...Built by Cape Dory Co. Inc...Bridgewater, Mass". The current owner states the registration documents it as a 1968...I have not seen the registration yet though...so can't vouch for accuracy. It has round, fixed spartan ports on BOTH sides. Deck stepped Mast (not Keel fixed). Cockpit has two drains that lead to round holes on the hull. Inside, there is one MASSIVE berth that extends all the way from the companion way to the bow. The middle cushions come out so that you can stand in the middle. There is NOT a drop in berth height as you go towards the rear...later Typhoons had 2 quarter berths under the cockpit lockers, that were lower in height than the forward V-berth (so a person would have room for the legs under the lockers. That being said, although there is not enough room for berths under the lockers, it is still open all the way back, including about a foot of space directly under the cockpit floor. The boat clearly had a head at one time, with direct discharge overboard, through the hull. The head is no longer there, but the piping is. The are (2) reinforcing brackets, each side, at the gunwale (above the births), and there is (1) reinforcing bracket, each side, toward the bow, that runs continuous (vertical) though the cabin, and projects about 8" in from the hull. Other than that, the cabin is completely open all the way to the bow. The cockpit is all glass, as is the companionway bulkhead. If I end up buying the boat, I am sure I will learn more, and will post additional info. as I do.

Best,

John
Scott Launey

Old Typhoons

Post by Scott Launey »

John,
OJ is definitely the expert on Typhoons, but I'll add my two cents and he can correct as necessary. Mine is a Naugus #36 (square build plate as pictured) built in 1966 and the rights to the design were sold to Cape Dory somewhere around 1968. If yours has a oval plate with #50 on it, it was definitely built by Cape Dory. They started the numbering over again with # 1 in their line. The Cape Dory's also had self bailing cockpits like yours; the Naugus models drained into the bilge which allowed for deeper cockpits. Everything else you mentioned are examples of how Cape Dory changed the design over time. There's all kinds of history you can find on this site by searching; it's actually fun to explore to find out the Ty's history.

Enjoy the Ty,

Scott
Scott Launey
San Diego, CA
1966 Typhoon Weekender
"Angelina"
Naugus Mfg. #36