Typhoon in light air?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

SurryMark

Typhoon in light air?

Post by SurryMark »

My son is going to sail on a South Carolina lake, and I recommended a Typhoon. The only time I visited the lake was in the winter; the wind was stiff and it looked like perfect Typhoon water. But people who sail there say the air is light in the summer. What do you think? Is Typhoon still the boat? Any southern lake sailors out there? The Chesapeake can be pretty still in the summer, can't it? Advice appreciated.
Mark Baldwin
Surry, Maine
www.borealispress.net
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Average wind speed

Post by Neil Gordon »

I found a chart of average wind speed by month, based on years worth of data:
http://www.sercc.net/climateinfo/histor ... gwind.html
A more robust search might get you more. Obviously, beware of "average" speed.

By the way, I was advised at one point to avoid Boston and Cape Cod Bay due to a lack of wind in the summer. What I've found (which might not apply to your son) is that wind is not required to enjoy a nap on my boat.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Klem

Post by Klem »

What is your son looking to get out of sailing? If they want a relaxing time sailing around without much worry and not trying to race, a typhoon would be great. However, if he is a fit and agile guy, he might like something a bit sportier.

Another way to look at it is what is the lake like and where is he going to keep it? If the lake has a lot of shallow spots, a centerboarder might do better with its built in depth sounder that retracts. If he is planning on dry sailing the boat, then something lighter and easier to get on and off the trailer is probably easier.

The first thing they say in all marketing classes is to ask your customer what they want and listen. Then you try to come up with a product that matches their needs and wants.

The typhoon is obviously a great boat but in my opinion it isn't ideal for all situations. It is up to your son whether it is in this case.
hughesw

Southern Lake Sailing

Post by hughesw »

Mark,

FWIW I sail my CD-22 year-round in Georgia on Lake Sinclair. Obviously the sailing conditions are best in the spring and autumn, but sailing in the summer is not so bad.

Looking over my log for the last couple of years, I've recorded average winds in the range of 8-12 mph, and generally logged 15-25 miles each trip.

It can be pretty brutal when the temperature gets into the upper 90's. Having a bimini makes a world of difference.

I suppose it's all about choices; I don't have much affinty for the BeneHuntAlinas, although they may be faster or whatever. I am very pleased with the CD-22 and I'm sure a Typhoon would be a great boat as well.

Cheers,

Warren H.
GLutzow

Post by GLutzow »

The Typhoon is a great low maintenance, first, last or anytime boat. I sailed my Typhoon Weekender in Sarasota for over 20 years. In the summer, our winds can be very light indeed. That said, I found it to be a more than acceptable light air boat with just a few changes.

1) change to a loose footed main sail for improved light , and heavy, air performance and upgrade the outhaul
2) get a 150% genny for the boat
4) a spinnaker is a nice addition but not necessary unless racing
3) a whisker pole is a must for down wind sailing
4) install a Boom Vang to control boom hop
5) a motor is nice but I used a set of long oars to propel the boat in a no wind situation.
6) and most important, "Keep the bottom clean"
Greg Lutzow
Nokomis, FL

CD25
"Beau Soleil"
sailing off a mooring in Sarasota Bay

With nothin' but stillness as far as you please
An' the silly mirage stringin' islands an' seas.
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

On our TY we had hank on jibs. I believe this is a far better arrangement for a boat this size than having a jib on a roller furler. We had a working jib, a 135 and 165. It was easy enough to judge what jib was needed for the day. On only a few occasions did we need to change jibs as the day went on. They were all kept bagged in the V berth. The 165 would move the boat very nicely when the winds were light. We were often able to overtake much larger or racier boats on days like this.

Not that anyone was ever racing, Steve.
Bob B

Sailing in light air

Post by Bob B »

We've sailed Typhoons in SC for a number of years. I think it is an ideal boat for our area. We are out there sailing while everyone else is sitting at the dock saying it is too rough. We have a great time. When it gets calm in the summer, we plan our sails around the wind. If it is a dead day, we can spend part of it in the water holding on to a line off of the boat just drifting along. If a breeze comes up, we hop in and off we go.
He'll love it. Which lake is he thinking about?

Bob B.
SurryMark

thanks

Post by SurryMark »

Thanks for all this. Rob is an experienced sailor, with young kids to teach. The extra-light sails are an interesting idea. The lake is Keowee, near Clemson. It seems plenty deep enough. The Typhoon would be one of the smallest boats in the club, and one of the prettiest.
Mark Baldwin
Surry, Maine
www.borealispress.net
Ned Crockett
Location: 1972 CD Typhoon Weekender #315, LADYBUG, Irvington, Va.

Typhoon

Post by Ned Crockett »

You can't go wrong getting a Ty, if you can find one reasonably nearby with a trailer. I sail LADYBUG in winds from 3 to 25. It becomes a matter of choosing the right head sail and reefing if necessary. The Ty ghosts along nicely in light air with a 150 and keeps up with larger boats. Your grandkids will enjoy learning on a Ty. Mine ask to go sailing whenever a visit is planned during sailing season. If a weekender (small cabin) is selected, it can be fun to overnight with kids. Good luck with your search.

Regards, Ned Crockett
Sailing and racing LADYBUG on the lower Chesapeake Bay (Rappahannock River)
"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust our sails."
dcfairclough
Location: Herreshoff lapstrake sailing dinghy, Narwhal, Newport, Rhode Island

Typhoon

Post by dcfairclough »

I just picked up my first Typhoon. It holds the hull plate number #33. It says Typhoon but it doesn't say Cape Dory. It reads Naugus fiberglass Industries Typhoon. It looks identical to all the other Dory typhoons but with minor differences. Can anyone tell me what year this one might be and is it the same boat ? if you go to the link below I have a picture of it.
http//.sailboatsailboat.com
"Let's travel the world"
Ned Crockett
Location: 1972 CD Typhoon Weekender #315, LADYBUG, Irvington, Va.

Pre-Cape Dory Typhoon

Post by Ned Crockett »

I believe your Typhoon was made in the late 1960's. Cape Dory apparently purchased the molds, made some changes, and marketed them as Cape Dory Typhoons. My Ty is a 1972 Weekender and is hull #315. The major change that Cape Dory (Carl Alberg) made for the Weekender (with small cabin) is they made the cockpits self-bailing by installing a sub-floor. I believe the older ones had small wenches on the cabin top for the jib sheets. I'm sure there were more changes, but I don't recall them. Good luck with your new Ty. They are great boats!!
"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust our sails."
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Pre Cape Dory Typhoon

Post by Oswego John »

Ned is right on the money. Your Ty was probably made in 1966, before Naugus Fiberglass Industries sold their interests to Cape Dory. Yours is an oldie but goodie, one of the first batch of Tys made.

Besides lacking the raised cockpit sole that allows self draining, yours probably has wooden slat, open benches in the cockpit. The early Tys have no windows in the cuddy cabin. They have a wooden bulkhead between the cockpit and the cuddy cabin, not fiberglass. Most of the early Tys had no winches at all, with the exception of those that were pre ordered from the factory. In that era, the only Tys made were Weekenders, no open Daysailers. Several versions of Daysailers came later.

You will find more natural teak brightwork on the older Tys in comparison to the newer versions which went to plastic. Unless changed by the previous owner, your mast is probably keel stepped rather than having a tabernacle mount.

One thing worth noting, thoroughly inspect your rudder blade. The older rudders were constructed with three vertical pieces of wood. They often loosen up and work against the rudder post. This causes the long everdur bolts that hold them together to part from the post and just fall off the boat while sailing. It has long been the Ty's Achilles heel. Otherwise, they are splendid boats when used for what they were designed for.

Good luck and enjoy your new (to you) boat.
O J
Last edited by Oswego John on Feb 6th, '10, 01:02, edited 2 times in total.
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
dcfairclough

Naugus typhoon

Post by dcfairclough »

Thanks Ned, thanks John. Both of you seem to be correct. John you seem to have owned one like mine . Small cabin, keel stepped mast, and rotted bulk heads. Hey I have a question for you both. If Andrew V. Bought the the typhoon molds and started the company in '64 how could this be a '66 ? I guess I am wondering if the man he bought the molds from made any boats prior to his purchase of the design ?
"Let's travel the world"
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Early Typhoons

Post by Oswego John »

dcfairclough wrote: Hey I have a question for you both. If Andrew V. Bought the the typhoon molds and started the company in '64 how could this be a '66 ? I guess I am wondering if the man he bought the molds from made any boats prior to his purchase of the design ?
DC, that is the 64 dollar question. I have been trying for an awful long time to find out when Andy V actually did buy the rights to the Typhoon.

I don't mean the rights to all the various sizes of Cape Dories, but in what year did Andy obtain the rights to produce the Typhoon from Naugus Fiberglass Industries?

According to my reasoning, your Ty as well as mine (#42) were made by Naugus before Andy obtained the rights to build them. Since Andy and CD began to build them, then the changes began.

To the best of my knowledge, Cape Dory (probably with Andy V) started building Cape Dorys in 1964, but that was limited to two models, CD-10 and CD-14.

The CD Specs state that the first CD Typhoon Weekender was built in 1967. Now, that is the first CD Typhoon, not the first Typhoon.

Good luck. Keep us posted if you find out anything new in this matter.

O J
Last edited by Oswego John on Feb 6th, '10, 01:04, edited 1 time in total.
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
dcfairclough

Naugus Typhoon

Post by dcfairclough »

John, If you ask me it comes down to simple math. Oh and by the way I have a friend who is storing his Cape Dory Built Typhoon in my barn. Guess what number the hull is ? yup you got it #33 just like my naugus industries typhoon. She is #33 also so if Andrew V bought the molds in 64 and he built ten boats a year that would peg my friends boat at 1966 or 1967. But if you used my math then you would have to count backwards from 64 and that would make my boat a 1959 or 1960. Here's another piece of this puzzle. Alberg supposedly designed the tritan for Pearson in '59 or 60 I think so he must have already had the typhoon on the drawing board. I bet he'd been thinking about it for a long time. Something is missing in the history of these little boats. I woud love to know what else you know.
"Let's travel the world"