Rust in chain locker

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Dixon Hemphill

Rust in chain locker

Post by Dixon Hemphill »

Has anyone experienced finding rust in his chain locker? On my CD28 the rust is on the steel plate located under the bowsprit. In order to repair this condition my boatyard repairman tells me he must first chip away the rust to see how much damage exists. If over 20% of the plate is gone a major repair is required involving chipping, installing a second plate, fiberglassing and painting. But if less than 20% chipping, fiberglassing and painting are the basic requirements.

I anxiously await some helpful comments from you savvy sailors.

Dixon Hemphill
Within the the unlocked homes of the Swedish villages on the shores of the Baltic around the rocks sings the sea.
Steve Kuhar
Pensacola, Fl.

I hate when that happens

Post by Steve Kuhar »

I too have often been accused of having a little rust in my chain locker, and my wife claims that my plate is way too far gone for a little bit of chipping and painting to do any good.

Sorry I couldn't be of any more help.

Steve Kuhar
Russell

Post by Russell »

The mild steel plate in the bow rusting is a common CD problem, I have been fortunate so far to not run into it myself, but you will find a lot of info about it searching the forum. This is a major issue that you need to take seriously, and not an easy one.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
Duncan
Montreal, QC

S/V Fenix site

Post by Duncan »

I recall seeing a description of how Fred Bickum removed and reinstalled the steel bow plate on his CD28, but I can't find it on his S/V Fenix site anymore. All I can see now is a verbal reference to reinstalling, but I think I saw photos of the plate before, and some description of the removal process.

You might want to PM/Email him, or perhaps Fred will notice that I'm fingering him on this post :)
JimMc
Sarasota, FL

Bow Plate

Post by JimMc »

There are some pictures and an explanation on his site if you go to this link and then click on "General Pics" on the left hand column...

http://www.sbastro.com/FeNIX/Projects/P ... riorFS.htm

Jim.
-------------
Rebinva

I checked my bowplate and it

Post by Rebinva »

was pretty rusted. I scraped off the hunks and painted it with a rust converter that had been suggested by the surveyor (can't remember the brand). I am still somewhat concerned, however, and have been considering reinforcing it with a piece of marine plywood. The bolts are long enough for maybe a 3/4 inch piece and some heavy washers. (That would suit my skill level) I suspect that there is some reason this is NOT a good idea, however, and would appreciate any thoughts.
Russell

Re: I checked my bowplate and it

Post by Russell »

Rebinva wrote:was pretty rusted. I scraped off the hunks and painted it with a rust converter that had been suggested by the surveyor (can't remember the brand). I am still somewhat concerned, however, and have been considering reinforcing it with a piece of marine plywood. The bolts are long enough for maybe a 3/4 inch piece and some heavy washers. (That would suit my skill level) I suspect that there is some reason this is NOT a good idea, however, and would appreciate any thoughts.
Its a damp area with the anchor rode and all, plus rain getting in thruogh the hawse pipe, which is why the plate is prone to rust. Even marine grade ply I think would rot faster then one would like in this spot. I would probably replace using aluminium if it was my boat. Though I guess if just reinforcing rather then replacing and you want easy to work with, perhaps starboard?
Russell
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

I believe the later boats have aluminum backing plates. This must have been something they discovered as a problem as time went on, Steve.
Bryce Wentworth
"Gypsy Lady"

Post by Bryce Wentworth »

I went through this issue a few years ago. On my boat the backing plate was connected to some re-bar that was glassed in to the bow of the boat. The backing plate can be removed fairly easily from the the bottom of the deck, but the re-bar requires removal of a fair amount of fiberglass.

I removed the entire assembly and took it to a fab shop. I had an identical assembly made out of stainless steel for approximately $300. The re-installation is pretty simply if you're savvy with either fiberglass and resin or epoxy. If you do the work yourself make sure you have very good ventilation in the bow. It's a small space and you can easily be overwhelmed with dust and vapors.
Rebinva

Thanks to all

Post by Rebinva »

I'll probably try the starboard method then. As I said, the backing plate isn't totally gone and this just a belt and suspenders approach.
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

My bowsprit backing plate was also covered in rust. Water entered between the hull-deck joint under the bottom edge of the bowsprit. It was a difficult job to remove it but I am very happy to have it gone. I'll use G10 as the backing plate when I reinstall.

Here is the link documenting how I took it out.

http://www.farreachvoyages.com/projects ... ement.html

Best of Luck.
Russell

Post by Russell »

I have never come across your site before, wow, you have undertaken quite an impressive restoration/redesign of your CD36! I really like your ideas.
Russell
Dixon Hemphill

rust in chain locker

Post by Dixon Hemphill »

If you want to read what I found regarding the rust and what I plan to do about it refer to the topic "Old Sailors, Bold Sailors". Somehow my message ended up there.
Within the the unlocked homes of the Swedish villages on the shores of the Baltic around the rocks sings the sea.
Angela and Tom
prev. Typhoon "Dog Star"
Duxbury, MA

Post by Angela and Tom »

Wouldn't water and moisture get trapped between the plywood/starboard and the backing plate and cause the steel rust even worse than if it were left exposed?

I bought a can of pricey metal primer six years ago with the intent to clean and paint our rusty plate but it seems like such a nasty, intimidating job that I've been procrastinating ever since.

What kind of scrapers do you use? Do the rust chips tend to go flying when you chip them off? What about goggles and a respirator? And how does rust converter work--does it eliminate scraping? Can you prime right over it?

Thanks. This thread's convinced me to not let it go any longer.

A
Dixon Hemphill

Rust in chain locker

Post by Dixon Hemphill »

Tom and Angela,

Go to google with "How to paint over rust" and you'll find all sorts of info. I plan to wear a respirator and goggles while I spray a softening solvent, next scrape with a long handled metal scraper, then prime and finally paint with a POR (paint over rust) solution.

If your rust is not extensive I would take the above approach rather than spend thousands having a boatyard do the work.