Dickerson Newport solid fuel stove installation

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Droofus

Dickerson Newport solid fuel stove installation

Post by Droofus »

We are looking at installing a Dickerson Newport wood burning stove on our Cape Dory 26.
Has anyone installed one?

Any and all comments, advice and suggestions will be greatlly appreciated.
Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

My brother and I did in 2002. On our 33 we placed it on the bulkhead next to the mast. We used an ABI deck fitting and stack/charlie noble, heavy bronze. It works well though it will not hold a fire overnight. You will need small sections of wood about the size of your fist. I dedicated a locker under the starbd berth for the wood bin.

Installation seemed pretty straightforward, my brother put in the stove and I installed the deck ring. He used a piece of 1/2" concreteboard covered with a sheet of copper for the backing on the bulkhead then bolted the stove right through. I installed a teak deck ring he made along with the bronze fitting which was tough to fit the camber of the coachroof. I got it wrong at first and the stack leaned a bit forward for the first two seasons, then I got sick of it and belt sanded the top down to fit the heavy deck ring better and thus the stack.

Every few years I need to pull it off and re seal the deck ring but next time I may use a fireplace sealant as I think the heat shrinks the sealant and then we get leaks in heavy rain. It has been fine for the last few seasons. Every few years I polish the copper as well with neverdull or similar.

If like us you are in a northern climate, I recommend it. A few weeks ago I spent a wonderful night afloat on a chilly night with the stove burning some of my old oak tree trimmings from the year before, found some scotch a friend left aboard, a good book, a little Telemann - perfect. Below is a shot of most of the installation.

Paul
CDSOA Member
Klem

Post by Klem »

The PO of my boat did a very similar install to the one pictured above. It seems to work well and didn't look that hard to do. I don't have a camera so I can't help with any pictures, sorry.
Duncan
Montreal, QC

Post by Duncan »

Paul D. wrote:... a sheet of copper...
The copper looks great! If I ever get around to installing my kerosene heater, I think that would look much nicer than the usual steel.

With reference to burning overnight, L. Francis Herreshoff left instructions on how set up a coal stove to burn overnight (The Compleat Cruiser, p. 21, available on Google Books).

I don't know if anything there would be helpful for you, but I always like reading what he says anyway.
RIKanaka
Location: 1988 CD26 #73 "Moku Ahi" (Fireboat), Dutch Harbor, RI

Same boat, different heater

Post by RIKanaka »

Here's a picture of a Force 10 propane Cozy Cabin Heater installed in my CD26 by a prior owner, using ceramic tile on backer board (I believe), the upper 6 inches of which are obscured by the folded table in the picture.

I have not used this heater and don't know if this is a proper installation or if it is applicable to your proposed installation.
Aloha,

Bob Chinn
SurryMark

Post by SurryMark »

Has anyone put this stove in a 27? Any pictures, or a description, of the placement in the cabin and the stack on deck?
thx
Mark Baldwin
Surry, Maine
www.borealispress.net
Duncan
Montreal, QC

Re: Same boat, different heater

Post by Duncan »

RIKanaka wrote:I... don't know if this is a proper installation
It's nice and low, which is good for heat, right?

I think the bulkhead-mounted table is an issue, though. The heater and table don't look well-integrated to me, and it generally looks like the table and the heater are in each other's way. I've never seen a heater installed this way.

I don't see any scorch marks on the underside of the table, but that's what I would be worried about: I don't think I'd want to try operating the heater with the table down. On the other hand, the top of the table may be vulnerable to heat from the chimney when the table is up. Is the bulkhead behind the table protected by a heat shield, or is it bare?

In short, it looks like the table could move from the bulkhead. It could be mounted on removeable legs, like on the CD 27.