Garmin GPSMap 76 / BlueCharts

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

bottomscraper

FYI

Post by bottomscraper »

Dean is out sailing. He took his GPS Map 76 back and purchased a GPS Map 76Cx which has a USB port. We used my windows laptop to update the charts.

Oh the generic USB adapter I have works fine with the GPS Map 76, at least for comunicating with PC based nav software. I haven't tried downloading charts because I don't have any for
our GPS MAP 76. I can also upload and download waypoints just fine.
Rich Abato
Nordic Tug 34 Tanuki

Previous Owner Of CD36 Mahalo #163

Southern Maine
http://www.sailmahalo.com
bifcondor
Location: 1971 typhoon weekender #137, "commander's moon" Biscayne Bay, FL

not intending to hijack the thread, but...

Post by bifcondor »

I use a Mac and own a Typhoon that I only sail in Biscayne Bay, no intention of straying too far from home. But the other day I was approaching Soldier Key from the northeast and wandered into some really shallow water. It was low tide and after consulting my chart, taking time to put on my glasses and get out the compass and asking my crew to take the helm, well, I reversed course just in time, I feel, avoiding an embarrassing moment. It would have been wonderful to take a quick look at the GPS and see where I was and the best route to approach my destination (from the southeast).
Any recommendations for the casual GPS chart needs of a Mac (computer) user?
Thanks.
Joe CD MS 300
Location: Cape Dory Motor Sailor 300 / "Quest" / Linekin Bay - Boothbay Harbor

Re: Run Windows n your Mac

Post by Joe CD MS 300 »

[quote="Jeff G"]I have a Mac and a 76map GPS. .......

This configuration has worked for me. All charts and firmware updates have worked. I've never been able to figure out why Garmin refuses to support the Mac OS.[/quo

Here is a link to a Garmin page related to Mac users:

http://www8.garmin.com/macosx/index.jsp

It looks like it is supported to some extent.

Joe
Better to find humility before humility finds you.
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Re: Generic Serial-to-USB converter

Post by Joe Myerson »

bottomscraper wrote:Oh the generic USB adapter I have works fine with the GPS Map 76, at least for comunicating with PC based nav software. I can also upload and download waypoints just fine.
Rich,

This is interesting, because I bought a generic converter for my original Garmin PC cable, and it would not work at all. That's when I spoke with a Garmin service tech, who said I should purchase their product.
If memory serves me correctly--and it does so less and less every year--I was trying to add more charts from my Garmin disk, as I was getting ready to cruise into unfamiliar waters.

Anyhow, it's good to hear that Dean's sailing.

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Jeff G

Garmin Roadtrip for Mac

Post by Jeff G »

I have downloaded and tried the Roadtrip app from the Garmin web site. I cannot get it to talk to my 76map GPS. If someone else has had success please let me know.
Joe CD MS 300
Location: Cape Dory Motor Sailor 300 / "Quest" / Linekin Bay - Boothbay Harbor

Post by Joe CD MS 300 »

Jeff,

Did you call their tech support? They are usually pretty helpful. With all the different operating systems and differences between PC's and MAC's it might take someone that knows the issues. When it comes to computers if I can't figure it out quick myself, I'm on the phone with tech support. I've gone down too many wrong way streets and wasted a lot of time trying unsuccessfully to figure things out.

Joe
Better to find humility before humility finds you.
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Re: Garmin Roadtrip for Mac

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Jeff G wrote:I have downloaded and tried the Roadtrip app from the Garmin web site. I cannot get it to talk to my 76map GPS. If someone else has had success please let me know.
I think (not sure) that the Garmin RoadTrip app only works with Garmin USB devices. I don't think the GPSMap76 is a USB device, it's a serial device. Anyway, you may want to contact Garmin product support.