Outboard power

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Tio Pepe

Outboard power

Post by Tio Pepe »

My original 8.8 Nissan is now cranky and too heavy to heft in and out of the well on my CD25. What do you think of Tohatso 6hp long shaft? Will it push okay...is the non-electric start feature a stopper?
Are there any other options? Thanks!!
Kilgore
Sea Cliff, NY
Member #1209

Post by Kilgore »

I've got the extra-long shaft Sail-Pro and leave it in the drink (with a coat of Trilux).
It pushes fine under my conditions, but at least for me would be a pain to haul and stow every trip. The long shaft would be easier to stow but you'll have to add the charger if you want it. The pull-start has been fine. I built a new motor mount (notched and longer) so that the lazz cover would shut.

Do a forum search under Tohatsu for many other opinions.
Jay B.
Location: Cape Dory 25 s/v little Ebby Rose Haven, MD. (sadly sold)

Tohatsu 6 Sail Pro

Post by Jay B. »

Another vote for the Tohatsu 6 Sail Pro! I just put a new one on my boat and it works great. Pushed Glimmer along at hull speed with 3+ foot seas and a 20+ mph head wind...at only 1/2 to 3/4 throttle. I used to have the shorter shaft, which worked fine, but would come out of the water sometimes in large swells or when contending with swells from big old stink boats that would come by going to a fire or somewhere obviously very important.

Kilgore...I'd be interested in your motor mount. Mine has been knotched but the bottom of the mount does hang over...and the motor cover still hits the lazz cover. If you have them readily available, what are the dimensions on it?
CDSOA Member Number 1252
Kilgore
Sea Cliff, NY
Member #1209

Post by Kilgore »

I'll get down to the boat and take some pics this weekend, but in a nutshell, the new mount is longer by the same depth as the notch.
The forward/lower corner of the mount is beveled to clear the adjacent bulkhead.
Much less of the OB clamp hangs down in free air now.
tartansailor

Engine Mount

Post by tartansailor »

I had an 8 hp Honda that would positively not fit for height.
My solution was to put 2" blocks between the aft deck and the hinges supporting the engine hatch.
This insured plenty of air for the motor and avoided the notch regimen.
Sold the Honda and am now saving up for the long shaft sail pro.
Dick
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Post by Sea Hunt »

Tio Pepe:

As suggested by Kilgore, if you do a search on this board you will find several threads on recommended and not recommended O/Bs for a CD 25. This may be one:

http://www.capedory.org/board/viewtopic ... 5+outboard

I am sure there are others.

Good luck :!:
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
GLutzow

me too

Post by GLutzow »

I would be interested in this modified motor mount
Greg Lutzow
Nokomis, FL

CD25
"Beau Soleil"
sailing off a mooring in Sarasota Bay

With nothin' but stillness as far as you please
An' the silly mirage stringin' islands an' seas.
Kilgore
Sea Cliff, NY
Member #1209

Post by Kilgore »

The mount is 7.5" tall with a 2" deep notch.
Jay B.

Mount

Post by Jay B. »

Cool...the notch sounds close to what mine is. Do you run your motor with the cover closed? It sure would be quieter. Although, my motor tiller is not run through the opening. I fold it up to close the cover. I usually turn the motor alot when pulling into and out of the slip.
CDSOA Member Number 1252
Kilgore
Sea Cliff, NY
Member #1209

Post by Kilgore »

http://rapidshare.com/files/406443880/s ... 10_112.JPG

I run it with the cover closed. The motor tiller doesn't fit through the opening.
Jay B.

Mount

Post by Jay B. »

Really nice! Yea, there is a CD26 in the slip next to mine and they can run the motor tiller through the opening. It would be nice.
CDSOA Member Number 1252
jbenagh
Salem, MA

6HP Nissan/Tohatsu

Post by jbenagh »

I have the 6HP Nissan/Tohatsu in SPRITE. Works very well. No problem in up to 20kt wind, but in 4kt current you don't make much speed over land due to hull speed.
I have an inspection plate in the lazarette cover to allow access to the throttle with the cover closed -- it is very useful. I do need to open it up to shift though, and the windage of the open hatch makes a noticeable difference, usually in early spring when it's windy and I'm rusty.

Jeff
KDreese
Hingham, MA

Post by KDreese »

I too have a 6HP Nissan Sail Pro. Motor has been great. It is a lot lighter than the Merc 8HP 2 stroke I used to use and I like not having to mix the 2 stroke oil and such.

Regards,

KD
"Life begins at 2 knots."