MASTHEAD STROBE

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

sfreihofer

Re: Defender..

Post by sfreihofer »

Hey Maine Sail....

I'm not finding this price on their website. Can you provide a URL? I'd like to pick up one of these at that price!

Thanks!

Stan

Maine Sail wrote:Defender has the Matrix 2100 in stock and ON SALE for $326.79!! That price is actually $3.20 cheaper than my wholesale Defender price.

I just ordered one!
Instant Bubble-head. Just add water.
The Patriot

Re: Defender price

Post by The Patriot »

Joe Myerson wrote: ... Didn't check Ben Ellison's website for a review yet. It's awfully tempting! ...
It certainly is. At the same time it's useful to note that this field is changing almost daily. In addition to the Standard radio, there are several other units available or almost available (vaporware?) that may even outperform it. See for example ...

http://www.panbo.com/archives/2010/01/s ... .html#more

... on Panbo for more. According to Ben it won't be very long before just about any communications box on board will contain some sort of AIS chip and display. Of course at some point one just bites the bullet and makes the purchase, but this technology is so helpful and relatively simple that it may soon become one of the most important safety options available (if it already isn't).
Duncan
Montreal, QC

Re: Defender..

Post by Duncan »

sfreihofer wrote:I'm not finding this price on their website.
There is a "minimum advertised price", so you have to 'put the item in your shopping cart' to see the actual (lower) price.
John Vigor

Re: Just a thought

Post by John Vigor »

kerrydeare wrote:
Jim Davis wrote: ... I will try to use VHF 13 and 16 to contact him ... A strobe can be very valuable, but try the radio first.
Good advice. It may be worth adding that nowadays when trying to contact commercial traffic, there is really no substitute for AIS information. If you can call a vessel by name and call sign, there is little question about your intentions, and commercial traffic will routinely respond to such calls, even from recreational vessels. AIS is finally affordable, and incidentally quite easy to install and set up. I had my first "full season" with AIS last summer, and it is really quite impressive.
You might be interested in this note a friend, Jennifer Moran, sent me from Australia:

As an interim measure (and a much cheaper one), if you have an iPhone, you can download the receive version of AIS from the App Store for a very small amount of money. Alternatively, if you have a laptop with wireless broadband or some other way of accessing the internet on your boat, you can go to http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/
It's fantastic!

Cheers,

John V.