MASTHEAD STROBE

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

sfreihofer

MASTHEAD STROBE

Post by sfreihofer »

I've seen a masthead strobe lights advertised. I'm not sure what they're used for. Are they used as a distress signal? Are they used during periods of low visibility, like fog? How useful are strobe lights?

If they are useful, here is a low-cost ($10) source:
http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-st ... R/-/1.html

Stan Freihofer
1981 CD 25 #794
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Instant Bubble-head. Just add water.
Bill Goldsmith

not approved...except for distress signal on inland waters

Post by Bill Goldsmith »

See below from the Coast Guard navigation FAQ page:

http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/mwv/navrules ... htm#0.3_13

14. Can I use Strobe Lights to be more visible at night? For any other lights beyond those specifically defined within the Navigation Rules they should be such lights as cannot be mistaken for the lights specified in these Rules, or do not impair their visibility or distinctive character, or interfere with the keeping of a proper look-out (Rule 20).

Displaying a strobe for “higher visibilityâ€
sfreihofer

Post by sfreihofer »

Thanks Bill. It's clear that a strobe light is not a good idea unless you're on inland waters, and then only as an emergency beacon. It doesn't have much utility in my situation.
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

I have heard of small vessels using their strobe to help large ships notice and or identify them. This is definitely against the regulations but might avoid a nasty situation. This would be in an offshore situation where your safety would be more important than strictly following the regulations. If you had already made radio contact there would be no chance of mistaking the strobe for a distress signal.

This technology has not been available for a very long time in the history of ocean navigation. There may come a time when we are all displaying strobes much like you see on aircraft.

For coastal cruising I see little use for a strobe and I am sure the coast guard would agree, Steve.
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Steve Laume wrote:I have heard of small vessels using their strobe to help large ships notice and or identify them. This is definitely against the regulations but might avoid a nasty situation. This would be in an offshore situation where your safety would be more important than strictly following the regulations. If you had already made radio contact there would be no chance of mistaking the strobe for a distress signal......
We actually had this very situation back in 2007 on our way to Penobscot Bay from Cape Cod. It was in the middle of the night and a large vessel, which was moving very erratically at first, so we thought it was probably a fishing vessel, decided it was time to head straigt at us at full throttle (probably heading for Cape Ann). We had tried repeatedly to contact them via the VHF (when they were still far off) and tried to stay out of it's way, but when we changed course, so did it -- right toward us. We switched on our strobe light and only then did they see us and respond to our radio calls. We only needed to switch it on for a few seconds, but it did the job.

Cathy
CD32 Realization, #3
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
sfreihofer

Post by sfreihofer »

If it prevents even one collision, I'd say it's worth the investment. I'm going to re-think the utility of it because $10 is not much to invest...

Thanks Cathy.
Cathy Monaghan wrote: ...we changed course, so did it -- right toward us. We switched on our strobe light and only then did they see us and respond to our radio calls. We only needed to switch it on for a few seconds, but it did the job.
Jeff and Sarah
Location: CD33 "Prerequisite" / CD28 Flybridge Trawler "Toboggan"; Annapolis, MD

Mast Strobe

Post by Jeff and Sarah »

Please understand that this is not an 'official' Coast Guard statement, BUT...

When I am out flying CG helicopters at night and I'm trying to identify a CG vessel among several other boats, I always ask them to energize their strobe light. I can easily see the strobe on Night Vision Goggles and can pick out the vessel I'm looking for from miles away. So, if I were out there searching for you and we actually had some form of communication established (most likely VHF), you could energize the strobe and make yourself stand out in the crowd. There are a million situations where it would not prove helpful, but probably just as many were it might save your life. For only $10, it's cheap insurance. If my purchase of a 33 goes through (if we can ever get the darn survey done), I plan to put a strobe on my mast.

Worth noting- the CG will not expect you to have a strobe light, so if you are in an emergency and you are talking to us, you should ask whether the CG wants you to energize it or not. There are times where it will be disorientating to pilots on Night Vision and we won't want it on unless we really are having a hard time finding you. Also, once you've been spotted by the helicopter, please be prepared to turn off the strobe light since it is nearly impossible to hover over a boat with a strobe light energized (it whites-out Night Vision Goggles and ruins our 'unaided' natural night vision.

Hope this helps.

Jeff
rtwhitman2

Consider a hand held light.

Post by rtwhitman2 »

The masthead light on my former CD 33 came with a strobe, but it was never used. Because I often sailed at night in areas with heavy commercial traffic, I installed a cigaret lighter-style outlet in the cockpit into which I could plug one of those powerful hand held search lights. When appropriate, it was common for me to alert commercial traffic of my presence and course intentions on Channel 13 and to shine the search light upward to briefly illuminate the sails. I never had any near misses and the commercial captains were always appreciative of the gesture.
The Patriot

Consider a hand held [STROBE] light.

Post by The Patriot »

rtwhitman2 wrote: ... When appropriate, it was common for me to alert commercial traffic of my presence and course intentions on Channel 13 and to shine the search light upward to briefly illuminate the sails ...
I have a similar arrangement and it seems an appropriate way to address this issue, particularly when one considers that strobe lights have no clearly defined status as emergency signals. It's hard to say how a maritime court would decide, should it ever come to that. I hope to avoid finding out.

At the same time I have mounted a hand-held strobe (battery-powered) on a pig stick which can, if it seems like a good idea, be hoisted to the masthead. I suppose if I were trying to attract the attention of the USCG in an emergency or rescue situation, this might be an option. Of course the strobe can also be used without the additional step of hoisting it up. It is, after all, a strobe light.
Jim Davis
Edgewater, MD

Just a thought

Post by Jim Davis »

At night if I am in doubt about a large ships intentions, or it looks like we will get ear each other, I will try to use VHF 13 and 16 to contact him. I will also briefly light my sails. If I feel the need to use a strobe I use either the one attached to my harness or the man overboard light. Both are readily at hand. If you can see his lights there is no need to have a masthead light, he will be able to see yours even if it is at deck level. For offshore work the most important light at the masthead is a tri-color. These can be seen by the big boys long before they can see anything else. I will add that based on numerous conservations with big ship drivers If they see a strobe in the middle of nowhere and have no communication with the source, they tend to change course to take a look.

As a retired "ground pounder" I can confirm from the ground point of view how fast an aviator can pick out a strobe. Even at great range. A strobe can be very valuable, but try the radio first.
Jim Davis
S/V Isa Lei
The Patriot

Re: Just a thought

Post by The Patriot »

Jim Davis wrote: ... I will try to use VHF 13 and 16 to contact him ... A strobe can be very valuable, but try the radio first.
Good advice. It may be worth adding that nowadays when trying to contact commercial traffic, there is really no substitute for AIS information. If you can call a vessel by name and call sign, there is little question about your intentions, and commercial traffic will routinely respond to such calls, even from recreational vessels. AIS is finally affordable, and incidentally quite easy to install and set up. I had my first "full season" with AIS last summer, and it is really quite impressive.
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

AIS receiver/VHF

Post by Joe Myerson »

Armond,

I'm interested in your experiences with AIS (perhaps another thread?)

I noticed that Standard Horizon now makes a very affordable new unit that combines an AIS receiver, GPS and VHF radio (GX2100 MATRIX AIS / DSC VHF / Hailer). It only requires a VHF antenna, and, if you believe the manufacturer's hype, can be set to automatically dial to an approaching ship and call it on DSC.

It looks very tempting--anybody know about it?

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
The Patriot

Re: AIS receiver/VHF

Post by The Patriot »

Joe Myerson wrote: ... I'm interested in your experiences with AIS (perhaps another thread?) ...
I just love this stuff and also love gamming about it. Later today I will try to write something to this board about our setup and experiences if that helps. Tied up just now.
Joe Myerson wrote: ... I noticed that Standard Horizon now makes a very affordable new unit that combines an AIS receiver, GPS and VHF radio (GX2100 MATRIX AIS / DSC VHF / Hailer). It only requires a VHF antenna, and, if you believe the manufacturer's hype, can be set to automatically dial to an approaching ship and call it on DSC ... It looks very tempting--anybody know about it? ...
This was reviewed on panbo.com (you may have to cut and paste this long URL) ...

http://www.panbo.com/archives/2009/11/s ... .html#more

... and it looks really good. Supposed to be available Jan 2010. It seems to meet all the requirements and is, it appears, a logical development combining VHF, DSC, and AIS capabilities (need a few more initialisms, did we?). I need this like a 10th anchor, but it is sure tempting. Ben on panbo is the only source of real info aside from hype at this time, I believe.
Maine Sail

Defender..

Post by Maine Sail »

Defender has the Matrix 2100 in stock and ON SALE for $326.79!! That price is actually $3.20 cheaper than my wholesale Defender price.

I just ordered one!
-Maine Sail
CS-36T
Broad Cove, Maine

My Marine How To Articles
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Defender price

Post by Joe Myerson »

Rod,

I saw it on a Defender sail e-mail.

Didn't check Ben Ellison's website for a review yet.

It's awfully tempting!.

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627