Cape Dory 25

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

woodisgood

Cape Dory 25

Post by woodisgood »

Well, I finally found a boat that I am going to purchase. It is a Cape Dory 25. My question is will my vehicle pull it? My truck is a Toyota Tundra V8. The stated gross weight recommended to tow is 5000lbs. However, I cant find the gross weight of the cape dory mentioned anywhere. I see mention of 4000lbs of displacement but don't know if you can convert this. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

The displacement is the weight. But you also have to figure into the equation the weight of everything in the boat as well as the weight of the trailer.

Cathy
CD32 Realization, #3
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
barfwinkle

Post by barfwinkle »

wouldnt the 4000 lbs be the "Empty" gross weight. Then you'll need to add the weight of the trailer and any stores/sails/fuel etc.

Or at least that's my take.

Congratulations of your new to you little yacht.

Fair Winds

Oh and FWIW, in the past I towed my 25d (as much as 6oo miles & 5150 dry weight) with an F-150 ford. It did the job just fine.

See yawl in Havre de Grace
Bill Member #250.
woodisgood

Post by woodisgood »

Thanks
GLutzow

Post by GLutzow »

We have an absolute weight limit on our hoist at the Sailing Squadron here in Sarasota so I was required to weight my CD25 before using the hoist. The ship with rigging, motor and gear came in at 4875lbs. Keep in mind that this is a 1979 ship with a 5hp Honda outboard and that weight does not include the trailer.
I hope this helps.
Greg Lutzow
Nokomis, FL

CD25
"Beau Soleil"
sailing off a mooring in Sarasota Bay

With nothin' but stillness as far as you please
An' the silly mirage stringin' islands an' seas.
shavdog

Post by shavdog »

your tundra with a v8 will be just fine...be safe and allow plenty of space for braking...congrats
Carl Thunberg

Shavdog is right.

Post by Carl Thunberg »

The Tundra won't even feel this boat. But your hitch might, if it's not of the correct class. If you just have a ball on your bumper step, you will need to upgrade the hitch. 5,000 pounds is a Class III hitch. A Class IV hitch will go up to 12,000 pounds. Check out this link for more information.

http://hitches4less.com/trailer-hitch-classes.html
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
shavdog

Post by shavdog »

I don't know how far you are towing this boat but do yourself a big favor and check the bearings and be very skeptical about the tires if they arent brand new...I learned this the hard way and spent 1700 replacing tires and service calls on a 1000 mile trip...
barfwinkle

Important Note Shavdog

Post by barfwinkle »

I was within 100 miles of home last summer returning from the Chesapeake (2500ish miles round trip), had stopped for fuel, and heard a hissing?????

What the Crap? I looked and the tread was separeting on one of my trailer tires. Sure glad it happened where it did. Wouldn't even like to have that happen driving 60 mph (which is what I drive with the boat).

And every time I travel any distance, the trailer wheels get repacked. Here it is only $25 a tire. Cheap insurance. Also Trailer Assist for Boat US very affordable in the grand scheme of things. My AAA will only cover the tow vehicle so I would have to leave the boat and trailer behind if something happened to the truck.

Thanks for reminding me shavdog. Oh and make sure your spare tire has the same rating as the tires on the ground!!!!! Dont ask :oops: Oh and everytime you stop (at the very least for fuel) check your trailer!!!!!

Fair winds and I hope to see you in Havre de Grace
Bill Member #250.
s calder

trailering a 25

Post by s calder »

I've towed my 25 up over the Continental Divide [Berthaud Pass Colorado] several times with a F-150...no sweat...a little slow going up but plenty fast coming down. [Trailer brakes are good insurance.]
S. Calder sv Falcon
viv
LIBERTY

displacement vs. mass (weight)

Post by viv »

Displacement is the mass of the water that the boat displaces when placed in water. The mass of the boat is the actual weight of the boat. The difference between the mass of the boat and the displacement of the boat gives it its bouyancy and allows you to put sails, gear, people and provisions on board. If the mass and displacement were the same, you would not be able to add any of these to the boat. Displacement can also change depending on the shape of the boat.
To concur with others, your Tundra should be fine towing the CD25. The weak link in towing is the hitch, tongue and ball. Make sure those have a 10,000 lb or 12,000 lb rating.
Illegitimus non carborundum
gpb102030

Post by gpb102030 »

I have a Tundra v-6 extra cab. I use it to tow my CD26D and it dose a great job. The surge breaks on the trailer help. Your mileage will be affected in a negetive way. Greg
gpb102030
woodisgood

I made it!!

Post by woodisgood »

Well I made the Trip. No big problems. I made about 10 mpg (there goes the college fund for the kids) It took around 22 Hrs. The only problem that I had was that the boat was slipping forward and I couldnt figure out why until I got about an hour from my house. The boat is on a cradle that is bolted to a trialer. I didn't feel comfortable with the fiberglass to steel connection so I jacked the boat up and placed plywood to cushion the blows. Once the plywood worked itself out the boat stayed still. You live and you learn. Thanks for all of the replies.
Duncan
Montreal, QC

Re: displacement vs. mass (weight)

Post by Duncan »

viv wrote:Displacement is the mass of the water that the boat displaces when placed in water. The mass of the boat is the actual weight of the boat.
Correct in both cases, since
1) Archimedes' principle states that a floating boat will displace its weight in water, and since
2) mass=weight (on the Earth's surface).

So, for a floating boat, mass=weight=displacement
viv wrote:The difference between the mass of the boat and the displacement of the boat gives it its bouyancy and allows you to put sails, gear, people and provisions on board. If the mass and displacement were the same, you would not be able to add any of these to the boat. Displacement can also change depending on the shape of the boat.
None of this is true. The reason boats float is that they are less dense than water. The reason you can load up a boat and still have it float is still because of this difference in density. The shape of the boat has nothing to do with this.

The buoyant force acting on the boat is equal to its displacement. This is just a fancy way of saying that it floats - the weight of the boat is exactly counteracted by the greater density of the water.
mgphl52

Re: displacement vs. mass (weight)

Post by mgphl52 »

Duncan wrote:
viv wrote:Displacement is the mass of the water that the boat displaces when placed in water. The mass of the boat is the actual weight of the boat.
Correct in both cases, since
1) Archimedes' principle states that a floating boat will displace its weight in water, and since
2) mass=weight (on the Earth's surface).

So, for a floating boat, mass=weight=displacement
viv wrote:The difference between the mass of the boat and the displacement of the boat gives it its bouyancy and allows you to put sails, gear, people and provisions on board. If the mass and displacement were the same, you would not be able to add any of these to the boat. Displacement can also change depending on the shape of the boat.
None of this is true. The reason boats float is that they are less dense than water. The reason you can load up a boat and still have it float is still because of this difference in density. The shape of the boat has nothing to do with this.

The buoyant force acting on the boat is equal to its displacement. This is just a fancy way of saying that it floats - the weight of the boat is exactly counteracted by the greater density of the water.
Hmmm...
Question 1: How does a boat go from a 14,500 lbs "stated displacement" to a "travel lift weight" of 22,000 lbs?
Question 2: Why are objects easier to lift will they are submerged?
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!