The Search Begins Anew

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Keeping The Typhoon?

Post by Oswego John »

Hi Robert,

Here I go, thinking out loud again. Two different subjects, kinda related though.

You had mentioned that the mooring field where you moor your Ty is pretty compact and congested. Would this present a problem if you moor a larger boat? Are there facilities for mooring a larger boat?

It was wisely mentioned that if you dry store your boat, make it hurricane proof as best as you can. Carl mentioned that you should block up the trailer to take the weight off of the tires. I'd like to add a little to that advice.

Sun is a mortal enemy of tires. Secure covers on the tires to shield them from the sun's UV rays. Reduce maybe half of the air pressure in the tires. Direct sunlight plus the normal heat of the day can raise the tires' air pressure to a very high amount. Make sure to leave enough pressure to maintain a good seal in the tires' beads.

Do whatever it takes to prevent water from accumulating in your Ty's bilge.

Good luck in your boat hunt,
O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
Judith

(Yet) Another option

Post by Judith »

You might even consider looking for a 270. Not many of them, but the accommodations for overnighting--and more--are stellar. And the centerboard/shoal draft feature is awfully nice if you're often in shallower water. Plus, as Warren recently discovered, single-handing is surprisingly easy (on the first solo, he emailed from the boat "She sails herself!").

Then again, I'm Little Miss PR for the 270: I can't tell you the number of times we've said, "We were SOOO lucky to stumble onto this particular boat!" :D

Having gone through your previous search with you ( :wink: ), I'm sure you'll investigate thoroughly and come up with something you adore.

Best wishes.
Judith
To unpathed waters, undreamed shores.
The Winter’s Tale. Act iv. Sc. 4.
mahalocd36

Re: (Yet) Another option

Post by mahalocd36 »

Judith wrote: I'm sure you'll investigate thoroughly ...
Now that is the understatement of the year.
Melissa Abato
www.sailmahalo.com
Dick Villamil

tadpole

Post by Dick Villamil »

Please - don't start looking until winter - or late fall at best! That way we can all enjoy the non-sailing time reading and commenting about what boat and gear you are going to ponder! It makes great winter reading..... In summer we want to sail rather than rush back to see the latest posting about Tadpole II. Only kidding -After many years with the 6-foot itis I bought my last boat - a 34 foot C&C - a really sweet sailing boat. However when I saw the old beat up Typhoon in the back of the boatyard I had to have it. Victoria will probably be my last sailboat after Victory becomes too much to handle. I vote for keeping tadpole because you can still touch the water while sailing! Get the bigger boat but Tadpole is a classic and will not break the bank to fix/sail or mothball. You can rent a trailer and then jack the boat off the trailer and leave her covered in a barn - if you have the room or perhaops modify an older trailer to haul her the short distance. Make sure the wheel bearings are greased and that you rust proof all fasteners and light grounds so the trailer works 5 or 6 years later. As for the cost of owning a larger boat ---- It was really a shock when I put new halyards on Victoria for $35 each - rather than $150 each on the 34. The ugrade list continues and Victoria will be better than new when she is 40 years old! While you can - enjoy the cruising and sailing on a bigger boat - but remember - it is not a linear relationship between boat size and cost of maintenance.
Judith

Re: (Yet) Another option

Post by Judith »

mahalocd36 wrote:
Judith wrote: I'm sure you'll investigate thoroughly ...
Now that is the understatement of the year.
Indeed! I was aiming for, ahhh, restraint :D
To unpathed waters, undreamed shores.
The Winter’s Tale. Act iv. Sc. 4.
CruiseAlong
Seaford, VA

I am smiling at this one

Post by CruiseAlong »

If one looks at the relative simple systems of the Ty and the search length..then factor in the need to find a larger model with very little to be done but more complex systems....and that there is always something that needs to be done....this is going to be a long long search....I'm smiling :)
Dana
Jerry Hammernik
Lake Michigan

Anti storage

Post by Jerry Hammernik »

I'm gonna take a different tack here from many of the responses. I just have a problem with a boat sitting on the hard. I know many people believe they're inanimate objects that don't have feelings, but I think anyone who spends time with a boat grows to feel that they do. They take care of us when it gets bad, they respond to our hand at the tiller better than a strangers. And I can't help but feeling their sadness when I see one sitting on the hard season after season.

If you make a move, let her go. Someone else will love her and sail her. It's what she was made to do. Don't take that away from her. Your new boat will give you enough to do as you care for her and learn how to mesh your talents into a team.

Just my .02 worth.
Jerry Hammernik

"Money can't buy happiness, but it sure can buy a lot of things that will make me happy."
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Post by Sea Hunt »

Thanks to all for the continuing votes of support and encouragement. As several have observed, it may well be a long, and at times "bumpy", journey. It is nice to now I have friends like all of you for support and friends like you who have a great sense of humor about all of this. :D

Many helpful suggestions about the idea of keeping S/V Tadpole. I am truly reluctant to part with her. Carl, thanks for the suggestion about tires. Never having owned a trailer I probably never would have thought of this issue. OJ, covers for the tires are a good idea.

Jerry, your comments are very well taken. A large part of me agrees with you. I am reluctant to put her on a trailer for 4-6 years. It's like a prison. S/V Tadpole was built to be sailed not stuck on a trailer. My only reason for wanting to keep her is selfish - when I sell my CD 25D or CD 27 I want to have a Typhoon Weekender for day sailing.

As an aside, a good friend of mine who has taught me a lot about sailing owns an absolutely beautiful O'Day 33. She has sailed all over the world in all kinds of sailboats. She has been out on S/V Tadpole and called today to ask if we could go out on Tadpole this Thursday for 2-3 hours. I doubt this would happen with any of the current "plastic" sailboats on the market.

My initial post mentioned only the CD 25D. This is, perhaps, because I believe a CD 25D is probably the ideal size for me to single hand in the near future and would still be a good size should I again be fortunate enough to have an "Admiral" on board.

I did not mention the CD 27 in my initial post although that is also one I have on my very, very short list. I looked at a CD 27 several months ago in Palm City and a CD 27 in the Florida Keys last week. The one in Palm City has been sold and the one in the Florida Keys has what I believe may be some "significant potential issues".

Tomorrow I am driving over to the Tampa/St. Petersburg area to look at a CD 25D.

If I recall correctly, there were about 185/190 CD 25Ds mfg. and about 275/280 CD 27s mfg. so by expanding my search to include CD 27s I have more than doubled the potential "pool".

Judith, the CD 270s are indeed very pretty sailboats. However, someone (an old salt) told me that centerboard boats have the potential to have the centerboard "stuck" in the down position from several different causes. I doubt it would happen to me, but I don't have the experience (or crew) to be able to deal with it. I think a simple full keel is safer for me, particularly in Florida waters. If (when) I run aground hopefully nothing gets too damaged expect my pride.

OJ, good point. The mooring field accepts boats up to 40'. From talking with the dockmaster, and others, a portion of the problem with S/V Tadpole is her light weight and reduced size. When other larger sailboats nearby are being pulled/pushed in one direction either because of wind or tide, Tadpole is often on a "tack" of her own because she weighs much less and presents less hull area to the wind and tide. I am told a CD 25D or CD 27 would "easily" rest on my current mooring. Of course, this comes from someone who has a lot more faith in my abilities than I do. :wink:

The adventure continues :!:
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
bill2

25, 26, 27 or 28

Post by bill2 »

Robert

All good advice and I would add 26's - rare and expensive but in your * size * range. And as for 28's - many about - not much bigger but has a bigger boat ride and cabin - at not much more money than a 27 for an earlier one.

Without going out on a limb - I predict a happy ending to a ( short ? :wink: ) story in the making .

Good Luck
seajunkie

Post by seajunkie »

I think looking and dreaming about a new sailboat is as much fun for some as buying one. I think the dreams and fantasy of something a little different or a little better can be fun and interesting. If the quest for a different boat isn't what you really enjoy, would you consider keeping Tadpole and Charting a larger boat for the occasional overnighter or cruise? That might be a cost effective option. With a Charter you could try different boats and see if you really enjoy a larger boat.
Seajunkie
Joe CD MS 300
Location: Cape Dory Motor Sailor 300 / "Quest" / Linekin Bay - Boothbay Harbor

Post by Joe CD MS 300 »

Robert,

If you have the $$$ now is probably a great time to be looking for a boat. Isn't there a 30K on the sales board for $16,500? You'll take less of a hit on the Ty than the discount you should get on a larger boat.

Don't let the size of a boat be an issue, I think I made the same comment before you goy the Ty. Is the 30 the smallest CD with a cutter rig? Cutters can be very easy to sail and single hand. If there is the possibility of a new admiral down the road, factor in her comfort as well. You don't want to be wanting to move up again in two years. How big is your yard?

Joe
Better to find humility before humility finds you.
Sandy D.
Grosse Pointe,Mi

Larger search area....

Post by Sandy D. »

Hey Robert,

If I were you I would also consider a boat from the Great Lakes.
You are talking about purchasing a vessel that is perfect for bringing through the Erie canal system ( be sure to stop and say hello to O.J. ) and than down the ICW to her new home port. What a great adventure!!

If you are ever in the Detroit area I would be happy to put you at the helm of my 27, even maybe a night on the hook to give you a good feeling for her size and capabilities as a home on water.

Time is on your side, don't be in a hurry. Good luck with your search.

-Sandy
Paul McCary

Look at 27s

Post by Paul McCary »

Robert, as you can see from the responses, we all love the boat we have. Having recently moved from a Ty to a 27, we are delighted with the upgrade. Decent head, V-berth, good room in the salon, reliable inboard, nice dodger and a simple joy to sail. It's even fun to overnight on the mooring! And, in my very biased and subjective opinion, it's got nicer lines than the similarly priced 25D.

Regarding your Ty, sentimentality aside, if you decide you want a Ty in 3, 5 or 10 years, they're easy enough to find (though you had quite the odyssey your first time around). So why keep it on the hard for what could be 10 years? I agree with those who say that's a bit unfair to the vessel. Sell it as soon as you buy your next boat.
Paul McCary
Impromptu
Pine Island Marina
Sea Witch

Less Competition

Post by Sea Witch »

Sea Hunt,

If you're set on a 25D, I have good news. I'm scaling up in my search to a 28 or 30. I've been actively looking at CDs over the past couple of months, and since there are three of us the 25D was a little tight for more than an overnighter. I want enough boat for some extended coastal cruising and maybe a hop over to the Bahamas.

If you are interested in looking at something larger--just for a look--there is a sweet 1981 CD33 in Jacksonville that could be a real bargain. The owner is deceased, and the family don't want the boat. It's priced a good 10K under market for the condition she's in. I looked and fell in love, but my head tells me I don't want quite that much boat right now. You know--son going to college fairly soon.

Good luck on your search!
Ron
Amgine

Not right away!

Post by Amgine »

A new boat takes time to get ready, and to get to know. Having Tadpole to hand for an afternoon getaway from fiddling in the bilge on the new boat, or a morning drift just because, can really help the peace of mind while getting used to the new boat.

And then, when you've come back from a few nights on the new boat, you feel comfortable aboard and you admit to yourself you're feeling guilty about the varnish on the Ty, or wondering where to stow its sails... Then it's time to share Tadpole with someone new who will love her.