The Search Begins Anew

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

The Search Begins Anew

Post by Sea Hunt »

I have received several e-mails from friends on this board asking if I am really thinking about buying a larger Cape Dory, specifically a Cape Dory 25D. They apparently recall the pain and anguish of my search for S/V Tadpole, my 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender.
As several on this board many months ago said would happen when I was in the middle of the long process of searching for my first Cape Dory, I have apparently acquired the "six footitis" disease. Back then several suggested I buy the largest CD I could afford, counseling that I would grow into her. Several others suggested I start out small and work my way up to a larger CD - if I wanted to. I fully agreed with the latter. In my judgment, I first needed to determine if I liked sailboat ownership and if I liked "cruising sailing" versus "racing sailing".

I became the caretaker of S/V Tadpole, a 1977 Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400), in April 2008. I have sailed her a lot in Biscayne Bay over the past year and I have enjoyed her more than I could have imagined. Most of my sailing has been as "racing" crew (more accurately - "rail meat") on Harbor 20s around the markers on Saturdays. However, "day cruising" with no specific direction, no time factors, etc., is very enjoyable. The only disappointment has been the lack of female companionship to enjoy her with. :(

I would like to be able to extend my cruising with overnighters. To this end, I spent a little more than four hours nestled in Tadpole’s cabin a few months ago to get an idea what it would be like to spend one or two nights aboard. Unfortunately, at my age, curled up in Tadpole’s cabin was not a particularly pleasant experience. The cabin is just a little too small for my old, pampered body. When I was 20, it would have been a grand adventure, especially with a lovely "first mate". :wink:

So, I have decided to think about beginning the journey of searching for a Cape Dory 25D. As was true with my initial search for a Ty Weekender, I want to focus on a well-maintained CD 25D that will not require any significant restoration or refit efforts.

I am conflicted about S/V Tadpole - my first love. I came to sailing late in life. I know that at some point I will have to sell the CD 25D as I get even older and even less agile than I am now and no longer able to do 2, 3, 5 day cruises single-handed or with a future "Admiral". I think I would like to have S/V Tadpole so that I can return to 3-4 hour day sailing on Biscayne Bay. For this reason, part of me wants to buy a trailer and put S/V Tadpole in my backyard well covered for a few years. However, I am reluctant to do this because of my perception this may cause her to deteriorate from lack of use, etc. Thus, the conflict - hold on to her or reluctantly sell her :?:

I would welcome the thoughts of this board on the downside to storing a Ty Weekender on a trailer for 4-6 years in my backyard.

My initial thought is that it will probably take me some time to find a CD 25D that meets my requirements - it took me two years plus to find Tadpole!!! During this time, if someone at the local sailing club or on this board is interested in S/V Tadpole, I may be willing to sell - assuming I know she is going to a very good home. Of course, once I find my CD 25D I will then have to make the hard decision - put S/V Tadpole up for sale or buy a trailer and store her.

So, the journey begins anew. Everyone on this board has been very gracious and helpful to me, despite the tortured search process that I know caused many to wince in pain at my posts. I thank you all for your kindness and encouragement over the past several years. I am open to any and all suggestions, recommendations, etc. for this new adventure.

If someone owns, or knows of, a CD 25D that is, or may be, for sale, please let me know.
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Do not sell s/v Tadpole!

Post by Neil Gordon »

Under no condition should you sell s/v Tadpole first and then search for your next Cape Dory. That would be more than those of us on this board could handle.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

How many times must we go through this? I believe you should forget about the CD-25D. You should be searching for nothing smaller than a CD-33. That might be a boat that you would be satisfied with for the long term. Sell Tadpole and put the time and effort you would spend on searching for a progression of larger boats into looking for a worthy first mate. You could sail around the bay in your CD-33 and your mate would be very happy to have a formal head. She might even hand you up a cold beer while making you a sandwich in the galley if you are a good boy. Now doesn't that sound like a much better plan?

Seriously, I feel your pain and have my Typhoon sitting on a trailer under the overhang in the barn.

It wasn't so much the TY that I was having a hard time justifying getting rid of as the trailer. I paid much more for the trailer and only used it for a few years. I already had a solid roof to slip the rig under. I had a young son who I would have let cruise her if he was interested. I also wasn't sure I could afford to own and maintain a CD-30.

It would be great to sail the old TY but I don't see myself making the effort as long as Raven is floating, ready to go. Daysailing a CD-30 is almost as easy and fun as the Typhoon. More so in some ways.

So it has been 4 years since the TY has been wet. I don't think she is going down in value and the fact that I have a secure space for her is the only reason she is still with me. If I had to keep messing with tarps she would not be worth the effort in my opinion.

If I hear of any sweet CD-33s for sale I will let the owner know of a guy who will be looking for one sooner or later.

Please don't take me too seriously, Steve.
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Two birds with one stone

Post by Neil Gordon »

Steve Laume wrote: Sell Tadpole and put the time and effort you would spend on searching for a progression of larger boats into looking for a worthy first mate.
What he needs to do is search for a mate that already has an appropriately sized Cape Dory.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
John Danicic

from one who is picky

Post by John Danicic »

I went directly, with out stopping at GO or collecting $200.00 from my little pocket cruiser Typhoon to a Cape Dory 36. I felt I didn't have the time to do the six foot step ups that most boat owners do. I know that this will be the last boat I own and that's ok. The learning curve was steep but like anything you try at, you learn or break something and if you break something, you fix it.

I kept the Typhoon for two years until I determined that I could no longer care for two wives, I mean two boats. I do miss that Typhoon a lot especially when I get the dock bill of $55.00 a foot. But I like to stretch out in the cabin and the first mate loves to use the oven. By the way she too likes to stretch out and appreciates how dry the bigger boat is in 36 degree, five foot waves.

Above all, don't sell your Typhoon until you have your new craft and are at least comfortable with her. Is bigger better? Absolutely. Better to sleep in, better to handle big water with. Better to entertain in. But better to sail? That Typhoon sailed as well as the 36. Back to the MG comparisons. Typhoon = MG Midget CD36 = BMW 7 series.

You can't go wrong with anything in-between as long as it is a CD. In retrospective given the economy, I should have gone smaller but now I wouldn't change it. Good luck in your search. May it be as easy as it was for me. Mariah was the first and only boat I looked at when I decided it was time. This from a guy who looked at over 50 houses before he bought one and then tore that one down and built another.

Sail on

John Danicic
CD36 - Mariah - #124
Lake Superior - The Apostle Islands
CDSOA # 655
Jim Evans

You Should Take Steve Seriously!

Post by Jim Evans »

Sea Hunt,

I certainly understand your desire to move up to a bigger CD. I had a Typhoon for a couple of years on Chesapeake Bay, but grew to feel as though I had done as much as I could do with her. Like you, I could not imagine spending a night below on my Typhoon. I sold her w/o having to advertise, and went straight to a 33. I have no regrets at all - even though I'm in the middle of a fuel tank change with engine removal.

When you consider moving up, I strongly urge you to get a boat large enough for a bimini. I'm not so sure a bimini would work well on a 25. You'll especially enjoy having it in that Florida sun.

I think Ariel (for sale by Neil Kozlowski in Annapolis) has to be one of the nicest 330's around. If you're up this way, she's worth a look.

Folks told me to buy my last boat first. While I did not understand that advice at the time, I understand it now!
Jim Evans
Sea Owl
CD25 Hull#438
Monmouth Beach, NJ

Bigger Boat

Post by Sea Owl »

Sea Hunt:

Some people have advocated you jumping big in your quest for a bigger boat. I have sensed in your writings that you are somewhat on a budget, so I would urge caution in jumping too big if that is the case. Not because you couldn't sail it, but because the cost of maintenance is not linear - it seems to go up as the square of the increase in length!

Reading your missive about short cruises however, I would suggest, if you can stand the freight to pay for it, considering a CD27 or 28. Great boats, much more room than you have, but not so big as to break the bank to maintain. Don't forget (at least around here!) mooring/slip fees are paid by the foot. Bigger means bigger sails, bigger lines, bigger winches, etc. So when something breaks or wears out, a bigger bill!

I know if I were to jump up, I would not want bigger than what I have recommended, not only for those reasons, but because while you can single hand a CD30 and up (I personally know people who do that) the size begins to beg crew to make it really fun and not a lot of work to manage your sail plan single handing.

In any case, like always, I know that your vast following of known and unknown friends on this board will do all they can to help (confuse? :D ) you with advise and comments, and pointing to available boats.

As with most folks on the board, I wish you the best luck in your search...and may the new boat fit your dreams!
Sea Owl
CDSOA Member #1144
tartansailor

Re: Two birds with one stone

Post by tartansailor »

Neil Gordon wrote:
Steve Laume wrote: Sell Tadpole and put the time and effort you would spend on searching for a progression of larger boats into looking for a worthy first mate.
What he needs to do is search for a mate that already has an appropriately sized Cape Dory.
ROTFLMAO :)

Dick
GLutzow

Post by GLutzow »

If I had it to do again I would have purchased either a CD 30 or a CD36 when I upgraded from my Typhoon Weekender. The CD25 is a tad small for my taste.
That said, I still miss the ease of sailing the TYW and the minimal maintenance that it had. Consider this step carefully before proceeding.
Greg Lutzow
Nokomis, FL

CD25
"Beau Soleil"
sailing off a mooring in Sarasota Bay

With nothin' but stillness as far as you please
An' the silly mirage stringin' islands an' seas.
marka
CD 27
Hull 219
Oswego, NY

Post by marka »

It's been said the amount of use you get out a boat is inversely proportional to its size. I agree with this statement.

Every spring when I'm getting the boat ready for launch and buying all the stuff I need/want for it, I'm thankful I didn't get something bigger than suits my needs.

That being said, I single hand most of the time and do an occasional weekend with my son. The '27 is perfect for us. Bigger would certainly make those evenings at anchor more enjoyable but 90% of the time we're out for a 4-6 hour day-sail and you can't beat a smaller boat for that stuff. The '27 is big enough to handle a 6 foot chop but not so big that coming into the dock by yourself with the wind blowing is a terrifying experience.
Mark Abramski
shavdog

My Opinion

Post by shavdog »

My first was a 26 for three yrs then a 34 for nine yrs then a typhoon for one yr and now a cd 22...I currently own the ty and the 22...I've read alot of your posts and I think you can buy a 27 for about the same price as the 25d...the extra room will be well worth it...I wouldn't be at all afraid of going from a 19 to 27 either...it'll be more expensive yet if you go from a 19 to 25d to something bigger ...I just think the 27 would offer alot more boat than the 25...but still not break the bank..you should be able to buy a 27 for 12k?...good luck..
Clay Stalker

Keep the Typhoon

Post by Clay Stalker »

Sea Hunt,

Your finding a boat was like my coming to the end of a series of books....no more to read, story over. Your newest project renews my faith in never saying never.....go for it!!

1. Don't sell the Typhoon. It will age just fine in your yard if you keep her covered, and clean her up once in a while. My Townie sat on a trailer for 6 years when I found her and she cleaned up to look like a new boat.

2. The 25D is a great boat and will do fine if daysailing, overnighting, weekending, and an occasional trip is all you ever plan to do. If you have plans to go further and longer, buy at least a 30, the 33 would be even better. I recommend this rather than a 36 because the 33 is a bit easier to single-hand, can be purchased for a lot less $$, and will do nearly anything the 36 will do. Smaller is better for whatever you want to do.

Good luck!
Clay Stalker
Westmoreland, NH and Spofford Lake, NH
Carl Thunberg

Get the weight off the tires

Post by Carl Thunberg »

I don't have anything to add to what the others have said already about your main question. BUT, if you store a boat on a trailer for an extended period of time, you should jack the trailer and rest the frame on concrete blocks to get the weight off the tires. We don't have to worry about the H-word up here, but you may need to anchor the boat to the ground using helical ground anchors for hurricane protection if the location is at all exposed.
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
novotny
Location: 1977 Typhoon #1453 and 1966 Pearson Electra #330 "Imagination" in Buffalo, NY

Post by novotny »

This is more than I can bear...I am placing myself on suicide watch and 24 hr observation...Sea Hunt PLEASE dont look for another boat, sigh.
As far as storing a TY, these are very sturdy boats, many have sat for years, through winters, such as mine, with no serious ill effects.
I would clean it, cover it and once a year uncover, let it dry out open for a couple of weeks, clean it again and cover. Rinse and repeat. The should be no problem. Good luck.
Russell

Post by Russell »

I am going to chime in and agree with those suggesting you look at a 27 or a 28. The 25D is terrific, but you may find yourself with 3 footitis again rather soon. The 27 or 28 is not much more boat to handle but will be considerably more comfortable for overnighting and price wise not a huge difference. Though I disagree with those advocating even larger, I know how timid you were about considering larger boats before and I fear if you go too big you might not use the boat out of fear. But I think you will gain confidence very quickly in a 27 or 28. Personally the 36 is perfect for me for what I do, but if I was just weekending or the ocational week long trip, its far more then I would need, I would probably chose a 28 if I did the kind of sailing you plan on.

Opening your options to the 27 and 28 will also give you lots more boats to look at and chose from, we all know how picky you are.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)