Another Typhoon Weekender Question

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

sharkbait

Another Typhoon Weekender Question

Post by sharkbait »

Do any of you have a topping lift installed on your typhoon? If so how is it connected to the mast head? Do I have to replace the mast head in order to have a place for another sheave?
Have A Nice Day
Markst95
Location: 1972 Typhoon Weekender "SWIFT" Hull #289 Narragansett Bay, RI

Post by Markst95 »

On another boat I've used a cheek block riveted on the side of the mast near the top with a cleat on the same side by the cabintop to tie it off.
Serge Zimberoff
"Cloning Around"
Lake Sonoma, CA

Ty topping lift

Post by Serge Zimberoff »

Currently I have it like the previous post. I have a tiny block at the eye on the side of the mast.
However I have previously just run a continuous line from that block down to the end of the boom, which had a loop in it that was sized just right so that a shackle on the other end could be freed from the boom and attached to the loop giving the boom enough freedom. I liked this because it could be done from the cockpit.
Since rigging this year (2008) I haven't had time to get it set up with just the right size loop so took the easy way and I secure it to a cleat on the side of the mast.
However ANYTHING is preferable to using the pigtail on the rear stay!
Jim Davis
Edgewater, MD

Post by Jim Davis »

Or you can put a strap on the mast near the head and run the topping lift through a block on the end of the boom and a cleat on the boom.
Jim Davis
S/V Isa Lei
seajunkie

Post by seajunkie »

I was going to put a block up top of the mast on my CD25. After some research, and almost killing my wife by dropping the boom on her head., last night I bought a boomkicker online.

They get great reviews in different forums. I bought mine at Mauri Pro Racing. They had a coupon for $10 off. It was the least expensive I could find on the Internet for $145 for the BOOK0750.

FYI I have no financial interest in any of these companies.
Seajunkie
sloopjohnl

Post by sloopjohnl »

not sure what year your weekender is, but my masthead crane has a pin for the backstay and a pin a couple inches forward for a non-adjustable topping lift. that is the way it came when i bought from the PO. i am not sure that it was a cd installation or the idea of the PO. the topping lift is 1/4 with a snaphook and i put a tautline hitch in it to make it adjustable if need be which it has not as yet.
Ned Crockett
Location: 1972 CD Typhoon Weekender #315, LADYBUG, Irvington, Va.

Weekender Topping Lift

Post by Ned Crockett »

I installed a topping lift last year on my 72' Weekender using the masthead back stay pin. There was enough room (play) on the pin for a looped 1/16" ss cable. I installed a pulley at the other end of the cable about 3' above the boom when parallel. A line attached to the boom end, thru the pulley, down thru a pulley on the boom end, and secured at a cleat on the boom allows adjustment. It works fine but I would prefer not having it touch the mainsail when under sail. So, I am investigating changing to a Boomkicker. As I understand it, a boomvang is used with the Boomkicker. Can someone explain why a boomvang is needed with a Boomkicker?
"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust our sails."
RIKanaka
Location: 1988 CD26 #73 "Moku Ahi" (Fireboat), Dutch Harbor, RI

Re: Weekender Topping Lift

Post by RIKanaka »

Ned Crockett wrote:...Can someone explain why a boomvang is needed with a Boomkicker?
The boomkicker performs the function of the topping lift, exerting an upward force on the boom. The boom vang does the opposite, exerting a downward force on the boom to help maintain leech tension, sail shape and sai twist, especially when running downwind where the tendency for the boom to lift is greatest.
Aloha,

Bob Chinn
Ned Crockett
Location: 1972 CD Typhoon Weekender #315, LADYBUG, Irvington, Va.

Boomkicker

Post by Ned Crockett »

Thanks Bob. I asked the question thinking the boomkicker is rigid and would resist the downward force from a boomvang thereby making the boomvang useless. According to the Boomkicker propaganda it does what a boomvang is designed to do re. downwind sail shape. I assume from your description the Boomkicker is flexible and bows when the vang is tightened.
"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust our sails."
RIKanaka
Location: 1988 CD26 #73 "Moku Ahi" (Fireboat), Dutch Harbor, RI

Post by RIKanaka »

According to the Boomkicker propaganda it does what a boomvang is designed to do re. downwind sail shape.
On their website, http://www.boomkicker.com, the manufacturers say, "Combined with a block and tackle vang, the Boomkicker does everything a mechanical vang or rigid vang can do with less cost and less weight."
I assume from your description the Boomkicker is flexible and bows when the vang is tightened.
One of the pictures on the website shows this exactly as you've described it.

I use the dreaded pigtail, having no topping lift or boomkicker on my Typhoon. Works okay for me so far, but I'm mostly a fair-weather sailor.
Aloha,

Bob Chinn