CD 22 winch rebuild /replacement

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

BillyO

CD 22 winch rebuild /replacement

Post by BillyO »

Currently have #6 Lewmar on 1981 22'
If I were to replace them, would it be better to go up to a #8 ?
Also Harken or Lewmar-- ?? I hear that Harken makes very nice stuff.
OR ,,, Shuold I repair the old Lewmars ?
Bob Ohler

If possible, clean, lubricate and replace

Post by Bob Ohler »

Billy, you can purchase Lewmar kits for servicing your winches. The kits come with springs, paws, lubricant, etc. The instructions are readily available on how to disassemble and clean these winches. I would check the Lewmar website. One bad spring or lubricant that has dried-up may very well be your problem. In fact, I would bet on it.

If you are smart enough to sail a boat, you are smart enough to disassemble, clean, and re-assemble your winches. You will be amazed how much smoother and quieter they operate after you do this project.

One idea I like is to build a box with a hole cut in the bottom that slides over the winch during the dis assembly. Using this technique, your less likely to have pieces that did NOT come in the service kit to go kerpluke!

Bob O.
CD30
sv Aloha Spirit
Bob Owens
City Island, New York

Servicing Winches

Post by Bob Owens »

Dear Billy,
For the first time, last year I disassembled, cleaned, and lubed my main #6 genoa winches. I was petrified--had visions of thousands of parts springing out when I lifted the drum, never to be put together again. If it is any encouragement, I found the whole process fairly easy. And my 1977 vintage winches spin like nobody's business now; they seem brand new. Maybe you want new winches in order to get 2-speed or to get self-tailers. But if it is just because of poor perfomance, by all means clean and lube them before giving up. (But try to do it while hauled out if possible.) FWIW
Bob
Tod M

It is amazing how few parts there are...

Post by Tod M »

I have #6's on my 17' boat. Here's a step-by-step I shot once when servicing them:

http://www.htmills.com/Lewmar6.html
Bob Owens
City Island, New York

Lewmar Chart

Post by Bob Owens »

Lewmar winches do change a bit through the years. The chart here might be helpful; I cannot personally confirm its accuracy. http://www.oysterbayboatshop.com/lewmar_winches.php