Length of Jib Sheet(s) on Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Length of Jib Sheet(s) on Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender

Post by Sea Hunt »

I was out sailing yesterday. Yet another beautiful day on Biscayne Bay :!: I am getting a lot of practice single handing and becoming more comfortable tacking, jibing, etc. As someone said many months ago "It ain't pretty but it gets done". :)

I have a question about the length of the jib sheet(s). I am currently using what I believe is the original Cape Dory 100% jib. I installed new jib sheets (port and starboard). According to the Cape Dory Owner's Manual at page 94 ( :?: ) it says the sheet should be 32' in length. The Manual says "sheet" not "sheets" suggesting to me they were referencing one continuous jib sheet. 32' seemed VERY long to me and I thought this was for one jib sheet secured in the middle at the jib clew and then 1/2 of it (16') run aft for the port jib sheet and the other 1/2 of it (16') run aft for the starboard jib sheet, but I believe someone suggested to me that the specs for jib sheet length in the manual were for each sheet (port and starboard). So, I currently have a port jib sheet (red) secured to the jib clew with a bowline that is 32' long and a starboard jib sheet (green) secured to the jib clew with a bowline that is 32' long.

Soooo, now I always have a LOT of line in the cockpit. In the sailing I have done so far (on all points of sail), I have never let out more than about 10'-12' of either the port or starboard jib sheet.

I am beginning to think that the 32' measurement in the CD Owner's Manual was for one continuous jib sheet.

I think I could shorten each jib sheet to 20' and it would be more than enough line to adjust the jib in all points of sail.

However, I am a rookie/tadpole sailor and reluctant to start cutting up quality jib sheet lines without getting the benefit of this board's wisdom.

When using the 100% jib on your Typhoon Weekender, what is the length of your jib sheet(s) :?: :?:

Thanks in advance for any and all advise, recommendations, etc.

P.S. I again tried to raise "S/V Bandolera II" while sailing yesterday. I was out about 3 1/2 hours and never got a response.
Zeida, where are you :?:
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
Chris L
Harbor Beach, MI

Try using one

Post by Chris L »

SeaHunt,

If you have 2 32' lines already why not try using one to form both of your jib sheets. You can use a cow hitch to attach it to the clew of the jib and end up with 2 16' sheets without cutting up the line. This would let you see if that is enough line. I think it would be plenty. Hope this helps. Chris
mgphl52

Save the red & green sheets...

Post by mgphl52 »

First, use Chris' suggestion to see if you're comfortable with 16' on each side (I'm guessing you may want 18 or so, just to have a bit left over). Then get exactly what you need for the jib sheets and save your red & green lines for your future genoa sheets. They will need to longer (but probably not quite that much)!

On my prior Typhoons, I have used a single line with a 'bowline-on-a-bight' (working jib only!) - basically two loops, adjusted so one fits thru the clew cringle and the other thru that loop, locking it in place. It was then easy to rig and de-rig and only one line to keep up with when off the boat. For a genoa, you want some thing more secure so that a sudden, gusting header cannot flog the thing loose (or just a less than "graceful" tack...).

Glad to hear your getting more sailing time and solo is a great way to learn and hone your skills!!!

-michael
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
shavdog

Post by shavdog »

seahunt...I don't care for all the extra line in the cockpit area when sailing our little typhoon...after one sail on it, I shortened our jib sheets to about 11 ft...its our middle sail and i'm assuming its 100%....we tested it out a couple days ago the length is fine..by the way our lines go thru the loop by the cleat on the cabin top when using this sail..and cleat off on the wash boards behind the winch...

another topic..whats the third haylard for?...theres one for the main one for the jib and I have a third one on a pully aft side of the mast...whats that one for?...thanks..craig
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

Hi Graig,

That third halyard is for flying a spinnaker. It can also be used as a whisker-pole topping lift, which can be very handy going wing-n-wing in choppy water when combined with a vang and/or a preventer.

-michael

[oops! just saw the typo.]
Last edited by mgphl52 on Jun 30th, '08, 16:37, edited 1 time in total.
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
Niceville FL
Zeida
Location: 1982 CD33 "Bandolera II" Hull #73Key Biscayne-Miami, Florida

Post by Zeida »

Ahoy, Sea Hunt!

Glad to hear from you, even if it's only via the computer :oops:
I was sick in bed all day yesterday with a stomach virus and could not get to the boat. I've been fixing my dock these past few days to make it stronger against the future possible hurricanes. :roll: Have not gone out sailing in the past two weeks and am having withdrawal symptoms. I just had to replace my old A/C unit, and that was another delay :cry: , plus some other minor health issues which by now have finally been resolved.

Bando is at her slip, nobly waiting for me. When is the next day you think you may take S/V Tadddy out? Maybe I can meet you out there... It is terribly hot these days, so it's good to be in the water :D Cheers,
Zeida
CDSOA Member
Serge Zimberoff
"Cloning Around"
Lake Sonoma, CA

Third Halyard

Post by Serge Zimberoff »

If it goes to the top of the mast, and is on the aft side, and is just a small block with 1/4" line in it, could it just be a topping lift?

Serge
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Post by Sea Hunt »

Chris, Mike, Craig and all -

thanks for the good advise. I had thought of using just one of the jib sheets and running it through the jib clew with a cow hitch. I will give it a try and report back on the appropriate length, etc.

Zeida, sorry about delay in responding to your post. I am sorry about your stomach flu. Possibly tomatoes :?: I hope to be on S/V Tadpole tomorrow late morning through afternoon. Wed. and Thur I am diving.

If you are out tomorrow, try hailing me on 16. I will also try. If no answer, try 78 (the sailing club's hailing channel of choice). Sometimes I forget and leave it on 78.

If not tomorrow, I hope to be out again on Sunday. Weather permitting I plan to sail over by No Name Harbor - maybe :wink:

Whether we hook up or not, remember to bring a LOT of water. Yesterday I went through 8 bottles of water in 3 - 3 1/2 hours :!: :!:
Fair winds,

Robert

CDSOA #1097
Sea Hunt

Post by Sea Hunt »

Was out sailing today on Biscayne Bay. First day in a week. Went down to the Keys for some diving just before the 4th of July and wound up staying to party away the 4th of July and a few days after as well. The fireworks on the bayside of Key Largo were outstanding :!: :!: :!: Great fun :D I dutifully assisted in increasing the financial assets of Guinness Brewery :D

As suggested by several today I tried using just one jib sheet (16') secured to the jib tack with a cow hitch. It worked well on most points of sail. I did not sail directly downwind but even on a broad reach, there seemed to be sufficient line available. It has made the cockpit a lot less "spaghetti-like" although as a Sicilian I am fond of spaghetti. :wink:

The winds were projected at 8-10 SE today. Once in the Bay, they escalated to 16-18 with some higher gusts that really heeled Tadpole over. S/V Tadpole performed admirably. I was reluctant to reef the main, in part because I have not done so in calm conditions and because I have not yet installed a reefing line/sheet. My bad. :(

I also practised heaving to and found that, once again, in some situations with a backwinded jib and a free to roam main, she is comfortable with the tiller amidships. Other times, for reasons I cannot presently understand, she is comfortable with the tiller lashed to leeward. Strange and puzzling. :roll:

Once settled in though, she pretty much stays on tack with a slight forward motion.

I was able to spend 2 1/2 hours on the Bay and very much enjoyed the sail.

While hove to and day dreaming, it occurred to me that when I single hand there is a lack of "adult supervision" on S/V Tadpole. This may be why I seem to get into situations that I should not, and then have to figure a way out of the embarrassing situation.

I really need adult supervision :oops:
Fair winds,

Robert

CDSOA #1097
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Advanced day dreaming

Post by Neil Gordon »

Sea Hunt wrote:While hove to and day dreaming, ...
Do it on a starboard tack. That way if your day dreaming turns into snoring, you at least have the right of way.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

Sea Hunt wrote:While hove to and day dreaming, it occurred to me that when I single hand there is a lack of "adult supervision" on S/V Tadpole. This may be why I seem to get into situations that I should not, and then have to figure a way out of the embarrassing situation.

I really need adult supervision :oops:
Not really! Making mistakes and then figuring your way out is how we learn the best lessons! Even if they are sometimes " :oops: "... :D
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
Niceville FL