Hose connection-Cockpit Scupper to Seacock on Ty Weekender

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Hose connection-Cockpit Scupper to Seacock on Ty Weekender

Post by Sea Hunt »

I have continued my research for a proper hose to use for the connection between the cockpit scuppers and the seacocks on my 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender.

As discussed on another post, the prior owner had installed a hose that, while somewhat flexible, was rigid enough to require making a 360 loop in order to properly line up from the scupper fitting to the seacock fitting.

I removed this "rigid hose" and installed a much more flexible hose. However, it is so flexible that it "kinks" in two places and partially restricts water flow from the scupper through the seacock. It was, and is, a temporary solution.

I have found a product called "flexible PVC pipe" (or hose). It appears to be more flexible than the hose that was on my Ty but does not appear to "kink" when bent.

The website is:

http://www.flexpvc.com/PVCPipeSize.shtml

The website has a lot of information, charts, etc. and provides very detailed information about applications, etc.

I plan to order 5'-6' of the following flexible PVC pipe (1" ID) and see if it will be flexible enough to connect the scupper drain with the seacock without "kinking"

http://www.flexpvc.com/cart/agora.cgi?p ... y_The_Foot

My plan is to attach it with two s/s hose clamps at each nipple.

Question: Given the fact this hose will be a critical piece of equipment to keep out the Atlantic Ocean, from its description, etc., does it appear to be a satisfactory application :?: Is there any reason I should NOT use this particular type of hose in this application :?:

Thanks in advance for any and all assistance, suggestions, thoughts, etc.
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

Hi Robert,

You might also want to check out McMaster-Carr (http://www.mcmaster.com/), but I must warn you that it's easy spend half a day (or more) strolling through their online catalog! I have found these folks to be extremely helpful, quick and honest! When helping my son get parts for a science fair project, they shipped one item in-correctly. A single phone call took care of it and after I sent them the part back, they credited my CC with the shipping cost I spent as well (without me even asking!). BTW, my son won his division in a regional fair and now has a two-year scholarship awaiting his graduation! (Yep! One very proud Dad, here...)

I've also wondered about using clear tubing for the Typhoon cockpit drains, especially since there's no diesel in the way causing excess heat. Would make spotting blockages a lot easier...
OJ, any thoughts on that one?

Have Fun & Sail!
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
Jim Davis
Edgewater, MD

NAPA

Post by Jim Davis »

Any car parts store and "heater, or radiator hose".
Jim Davis
S/V Isa Lei
Bob Owens
City Island, New York

Scupper Hose

Post by Bob Owens »

Sea Hunt:
For the scupper--seacock hoses on my CD27, I used this wire-reinforced stuff from WestMarine: "TRIDENT RUBBER 1-1/2" Flex Marine Exhaust." It is very rugged, and does not kink in making the small angle from seacock to scupper. That offset is only about 3" on my 27; maybe it is greater on the Ty. This ain't cheap--about $9/ft--but I never worry about it failing. They also sell a slightly more flexible type which uses a synthetic reinforcer instead of wire. FWIW
Bob
Serge Zimberoff
"Cloning Around"
Lake Sonoma, CA

Ditto Napa or Equivalent

Post by Serge Zimberoff »

Jim has my vote for the easiest way. I studied the geometry (and studied it etc) and found a preformed hose that only took some careful cuts that had the exact bend molded in and voila! Beauty is that it looks like it was meant to be.
Just my 2¢...
Serge
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Post by Oswego John »

mgphl52 wrote:
I've also wondered about using clear tubing for the Typhoon cockpit drains, especially since there's no diesel in the way causing excess heat. Would make spotting blockages a lot easier...
OJ, any thoughts on that one?

Have Fun & Sail!

Hi Michael,

I have used clear tubing several times with good success. The stuff I have used is like a heavier walled surgical tube. It's pretty flexible, sturdy and easy to view for clogs or stoppages.

I'm in the same camp as Jim and Serge. I mentioned to Sea Hunt early on to check out preformed hose at the auto supply. Cut and use the part of the curve that does the job.

I also like to use the type of hose that Bob mentions, with a spiral wound wire that's buried in the outer skin. It's sort of kink free. The only problem is that so far I cant find that type of hose in 1" ID, the size needed for Typhoons.

There is another type of hose that I sometimes use, well, used to use. It is very flexible, very tough and easy on the wallet. It is the suction hose for an industrial shop vac. It has a reinforced circular ring wound the length of the hose. Most of it comes 1 1/4" ID but I have found 1" ID

Some people are gun shy to use this type of hose, maybe because it doesn't say "marine" on it. In my opinion, it is as good as some hoses and better than others. But using this type hose is a personal choice that the boat owner makes for himself.

A few things going in its favor are its flexibility. It is concealed below the deck and not subject to physical abuse. There are no hot or caustic chemicals passing through it to cause deterioration. As we hopefully realize, the only liquid passing through the hose is rainwater or accumulated spray. Because it is a scupper hose, there is no real pressure being applied to it as is a bilge pump or coolant pump discharge.

This type hose might be used as a last resort by those skinned knuckled owners who are tired wrestling with the other stiff type hose material. I've never had any problem using this type of hose

What type of hose a person uses to protect his investment is a personal thing. Use the type that gives a person peace of mind.

O J
Ron M.

Post by Ron M. »

I have to agree with Bob, Trident or Shields marine water or exhaust hose is what I use for this application. It is indeed rugged stuff but has flex. I believe it is available down to 1/2". I have replaced all the hose in my boat with this stuff - I wouldn't fool with lesser material here.
________
VAPORIZERS
Last edited by Ron M. on Feb 11th, '11, 05:53, edited 1 time in total.
Gary H

Pre-formed Automotive Hose

Post by Gary H »

The automtive hoses that I used on my Typhoon are marked as follows:
Gates
ECR
A selected section of this hose has the proper shape for the connection from scupper to sea cock on my boat. Despite the fact that the diameter is a bit larger than the specified 1 inch, hose clamps secure it adequately.
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Post by Sea Hunt »

Hello Gary:

Thank you VERY MUCH. I located this part # on the Gates website. It is 1" ID which is what I need. The shape looks like it may fit the angles on my seacocks, etc.

Last week I ordered two different hoses from a company in Arizona. They should be delivered early this week. I will first try these hoses (both reinforced and supposed very durable) and see if they are sufficiently flexible without "kinking". If not, I will go to a local auto parts store and order the Gates ECR 21057 and try that.

I really appreciate everyone's help and support.
Fair winds,

Robert

CDSOA #1097
Jim Davis
Edgewater, MD

Before West.

Post by Jim Davis »

Some of us remember that before West and its ExSpurts we bought most of our boating supplies from hardware and automotive stores. This wasn't being cheap, it was that they often carried the maintenance supplies we needed. Marine chandleries often handled the same parts and hoses but at a significant markup.

Fuel hoses, since the USCG standard requiring alcohol resistance do require "marine hose" Heads, since the holding tank need a better hose. For most of the other plumbing work involving seawater good old fashioned heavy walled heater hose is fine. Exhaust hose has been wire reinforced for as long as I can remember.

If you look on page 521 of the West three of the four hoses shown should neer be used near or below the water line. Series 135 is in reality old fashioned heatrer hose. (NAPA will have it in red). Gates prebent radiator hoses also do a fine job when you need a tight bend.
Jim Davis
S/V Isa Lei
D Rush

Post by D Rush »

Hello Sea Hunt;
What was your solution to your Hose connection-Cockpit Scupper project?

I think the suggested solutions:
"flexible PVC pipe"
"TRIDENT RUBBER 1-1/2" Flex Marine Exhaust."
clear tubing
suction hose for an industrial shop vac
Trident or Shields marine water or exhaust hose
Gates ECR 21057
Denis
Sea Hunt

Post by Sea Hunt »

D Rush:

At present my Ty Weekender has 1" ID clear flexible reinforced PVC tubing I bought at West Marine. Since I installed this tubing I have not had any water accumulate in the cockpit, although there are two minor "kinks" in each hose because of the severe bends necessary to go from the male scupper connection to the male seacock connection. I have two hose clamps at each connection.

I am sort of persuaded that the water accumulation in the cockpit was caused by the 360 degree loop made by the other hose, which created an "airlock" of sorts in the upper part of the hose line.

I have ordered a different type of flexible PVC hose from a company in Arizona (the website is referenced in an earlier post in this thread) and the owner has volunteered to also include yet a different type of hose for me to try because he says he gets a lot of requests for hose from boaters and would like to supply what they need. He has offered to send it "gratis" with the understanding I will provide feedback. He does not know I am a "tadpole" with less than limited experience. :( However, I will try to provide him with candid info - assuming I decide to change from what appears to work.

I will also visit an auto parts store and look at the Gates hose. From the photo on the website it looks like it my have the correct angles to work.

I went to several auto parts store. Unfortunately, none of their hoses were available on display racks. They were all "behind the counter". I would have had to request a specific parts number just from the photo. Not really doable - at least not for me. With Gary's help, I can now request to look at a specific hose model, part number, etc.
Fair winds,

Robert

CDSOA #1097