zinc for cd 330

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

rodcapedory

zinc for cd 330

Post by rodcapedory »

Any suggestions for zincs for cd 330. I'm in a location where there is a lot of deterioration of my zincs. Last year I had a collar in front of the prop and a perry nut that is no longer available.

Has anyone tried the Camp cc/cn 3/4 -10 2 inch length or can you recmmend something that will fit aft of the prop and have some clearance for the front of the rudder.

Thank you

Rod Croes
moctrams
Location: 1982 Cape Dory 30C,Gabbiano,Hull # 265,Flag Harbor,Long Beach, Md.

Zincs

Post by moctrams »

Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Sources of shaft and prop zincs.....

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Hi Everybody,

This question came up the other day while we were down at the boat yard and I replied via email but I guess it's a good idea to include it as part of this thread, so I've just copy/pasted then modified it in my response below:

Hope this helps,
Cathy Monaghan
Webmaster--CDSOA, Inc.
Email: webmaster@capedory.org
Last edited by Cathy Monaghan on Apr 24th, '09, 11:38, edited 5 times in total.
Russell

Post by Russell »

If you are someplace where you go through a lot of zincs, you can save yourself a lot of diving by adding additional zinc while you are in the slip to keep your prop zinc from vanishing so fast. Simply buy one of those large hull zincs, attach SS wire to it, drop it in the water and attach the other end of SS wire to some grounded point, such as one of your stays. Whenever in your marina put this in and pull it out of the water when you leave. Your prop zinc will last longer, and even when its gone for good this will still protect your boat so you can be lazy about diving down to change it. You can also buy a premade zinc "grouper" that does this.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
moctrams

Perry Nuts

Post by moctrams »

You can but Perry Nuts at this web site:

http://boatzincs.com/prop_nuts.html
Bob L

Re: Perry Nuts

Post by Bob L »

moctrams wrote:You can but Perry Nuts at this web site:
As Cathy pointed out, Perry Nuts are no longer manufactured, so prop zincs like Camp are now what you see in catalogs.
moctrams

Web site for perry Nuts

Post by moctrams »

I just bought some for my CD30C.

http://boatzincs.com/perry-nuts.html
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Re: Web site for perry Nuts

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

moctrams wrote:I just bought some for my CD30C.

http://boatzincs.com/perry-nuts.html
If you purchase zincs from Boatzincs.com, you're purchasing Camp zincs. So yep, it's a good place to get'em.

Cathy
CD32 Realization, #3
CDSOA Webmaster
CruiseAlong
Seaford, VA

"Perry Nut" for the CD31

Post by CruiseAlong »

I have had good luck with the following Perry Nut zinc on my CD31.......
http://www.boatzincs.com/p-3.html
This goes over the end of the propeller holding nut and is held in place by a retaining castle nut (wired or carter pinned)at the end of the shaft. Instructions are given from the web page above. Closest thing I have found to the original.
Dana
Bob Ohler

CAMP #ZPC1 works well on CD30

Post by Bob Ohler »

Camp makes three sizes of the prop nut zincs. I use the ZPC1 on our CD30. Larger CD's might be able to use the ZPC2 or ZPC3. I once saw a boatyard mechanic cut down a shaft collar zinc on a lathe and install it on a CD25D between the "deadwood" and the prop.

Fair winds,

Bob O.
Bob Ohler
CDSOA Member #188
CD30B, Hull # 335
sv Aloha Spirit
Cathy Monaghan

Zincs, zincs, they're everywhere.....

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Boatzincs.com is a great source for zinc anodes and they have them available from 3 different manufacturers: So nobody should have any problem finding the right zinc for the job. If you don't like the brands mentioned above, there's also Zimar, which you can get from Deep Blue Yacht Supply. And there's Sea Shield Marine zinc anodes as well as B&S Marine Anodes and Harbor Island Supply Anodes.

Other online sources for nothing but sacrificial zinc anodes, similar to Boatzincs.com, are USAzincs.com and Zincwarehouse.com.
bhartley
CD25D #184 "Pyxis"

CDSOA Member #785

Magnesium for fresh water

Post by bhartley »

Fresh water sailors should be aware that Magnesium is the "zinc" that you want.
Cathy Monaghan

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Bly's right.

Boatzincs.com, USAzincs.com and Zincwarehouse.com have zinc, magnesium and aluminum sacrificial anodes made by all the same manufacturers mentioned above. Be sure to get the right zinc for the job -- size (shaft diameter), type (collar, shaft, prop, etc.), material (zinc, magnesium, aluminum).