CD-25 & 2005 Mercury 9.9

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Joe Ruelle
Tern About
Lake Superior

CD-25 & 2005 Mercury 9.9

Post by Joe Ruelle »

Has anyone installed a Mercury 9.9MXL 4-Stroke 2005 in their CD-25? I am considering buying one online, but am not sure it will fit.
viv
LIBERTY

mercury outboard

Post by viv »

I bought a new mercury 6hp 4- stroke for my cd 25 and fit with no problem. It is plenty of power to get off the mooring and through the mooring field. Even on days when the wind disappears and we motor back to the harbor, it is enough power.
Illegitimus non carborundum
pete faga

cd 25 outboard

Post by pete faga »

Joe try the archives. There has been plenty of info.there
Joe Ruelle
Tern About
Lake Superior

Thank for the suggestions

Post by Joe Ruelle »

Thanks for the suggestions. I did search the archives, but didn't find any info on this specific model of motor. I think I will probably end up buying from a local dealer just in case there is an issue with fitting the motor and can exchange it. Thanks again for taking the time to help me out. till later, Joe
Roy J.
Location: The fleet: Auburn CD-25, CD-28 #255 as yet unnamed Marblehead MA

Very unlikely to fit

Post by Roy J. »

Unless you modify the well, a 9.9hp 4-stroke of any sort is unlikely to fit in the well of a CD-25. Unless you have particular need for so much power, most of us get by pretty well w 6 to 8hp motors that fit. The 8's that fit are slightly older 2 strokes from Johnson or Yamaha. Some have reported satisfaction with the Yamaha 8hp 2-stroke, which I think is a discontinued model. The key fit issues are height above the mount and size of the powerhead -- can it be turned to help maneuver the boat and can it be operated withthe lazarette hatch closed. Secondary issue many of us deal with is the motor weight. Over 60lbs or so and the motor stays in the well all the time. Less than that allows easier removal, either to keep it out of the water to keep the growth off or to improve sailing performance.

Overall it is my opinion that you won't be able to do all that with a 9.9hp 4-stroke, so if you don't have heavy tides and currents in your local area, or anticipate motoring into heavy winds and seas regularly, you will do as well with a smaller, lighter motor.

Having stated definitive opinions will likely bring out dissent -- fire away, what else is the winter for, if not discontented griping?
Roy Jacobowitz
Sea Owl
CD25 Hull#438
Monmouth Beach, NJ

Post by Sea Owl »

I have a 9.9 hp Mercury Mariner that fits in my CD25, however it is an older 2 stroke with the handle removed - I have a 'remote' throttle/shift control (1 lever) that I use with the rudder to control under power - no help from the engine in maneuvering, just thrust. Also, engine does not do well with cover closed as it has an above water line exhaust and tends to smother itself. From what I have read on this board, I suspect an 8 hp two stroke would still give me hull speed capability if I had to go with a new engine (this one came with the boat). As pointed out by others, real question is, what do you need the stinkpot for? If for docking/mooring only, in a lake environment, i.e. minimal tide effects, I would think a smaller engine would offer what you need with a lot of advantages.

I have to fight relatively stiff tides here, and need to be able to hit hull speed to often go against the tide coming and going to my favorite sailing areas.

Good luck - measure twice!
Sea Owl
CDSOA Member #1144
Sea Owl
CD25 Hull#438
Monmouth Beach, NJ

Post by Sea Owl »

Ummmm.....make that a 8 hp FOUR stroke!!! :oops:
Sea Owl
CDSOA Member #1144
Tom M

Electric outboard

Post by Tom M »

I have been researching looking for a
Electric outboard for my CD25.
Ray Marine seems like the Best, but Big Bucks!!
Has any one every made the conversation?or investment?
Pros Cons etc?
Tom M
West Wind
Joe Ruelle
Tern About
Lake Superior

Yamaha looks interesting

Post by Joe Ruelle »

I'm going to take a closer look at the Yamaha lineup for 2008. I think a 8hp 4-stoke Yamaha with power thrust may be the unit I put in the CD-25. A friend has one on his sailboat and loves it, especially in reverse gear.
drysuit2
Location: Segue, 1985 Cape Dory 26 Hull # 15 Port Washington NY

Post by drysuit2 »

I’m in the same dilemma. I need to replace my old 2 stroke Mercury 9.9. The new 4 stroke models are just too big and to heavy for the motor well in my CD26. The problem is I really want an electric start,[bad shoulder] and really need an alternator charger.

Both Yamaha & Merc don’t offer an electric start in the smaller models. I really don’t need all that power a 9.9 delivers. But I want an electric start.

It looks like I can get a Nissan, or Tohatsu 8HP 4 STK with an electric start at about 81 lbs, but no one carries them locally.
Joe Ruelle
Tern About
Lake Superior

Yamaha Catalog

Post by Joe Ruelle »

Frank,
In the 2007 Yamaha catalog they do offer electric start and alternators for the 9.9 & 8hp motors. They reduced the physical size of the 9.9 by what looks like 1/4 -- there is an image in the catalog.

They offer a 4-stroke T8 High Thrust electric with a 6A alternator in 20 or 25 inch shaft. It weighs 102 pounds. It is available with or without a tiller handle. It also has freshwater flush. This is the unit I am interested in to replace my 2001 Mercury 9.9 (its going on my new inflatable).

See if you can get yourself a Yamaha catalog called "Reliable & Innovative Outboards -- includes rigging & accessories (effective July 1, 2007)". I got it from my local Yamaha dealer.

till later, Joe
drysuit2

Post by drysuit2 »

Joe,

Do you know the difference between the F and the T models?
I was looking at the F8hp @ 83 lbs; not the T8hp @ 102 lbs.

The more I research this the more confused I get.
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Yamaha 8 HP Engines

Post by Oswego John »

You can see an on-line Yamaha data sheet at

http://www.boatpart.net/cgi-local/listi ... ist&HP=8.0

The prefix F denotes the manual start class
The prefix T stands for the electric start class.
The number 8 stands for the horse power.
The letter S denotes a short shaft-15"
The letter L denotes a long shaft-20"
The letters EX denote an extra long shaft-25"
The letter M also denotes manual start.
The letter E also denotes electric start.
The letter P denotes power tilt.

All of the 8HP engines have a 6 Amp alternator.

The 8MSH engine is a two stroke engine and only weighs 60 pounds.

All the others are four stroke.

I hope this helps some.

Good luck in your search.
O J
Joe Ruelle
Tern About
Lake Superior

Post by Joe Ruelle »

Thanks John! That info is really helpful and so is the website link you recommended -- I bookmarked it. This link is better than the official Yamaha site for getting specifications and pricing. Thanks again.

till later, Joe[/i]
drysuit2

THANKS!

Post by drysuit2 »

Thanks John

this is very helpfull