Moving or transporting a Ty Weekender

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Lang

50 miles day in TY is possible.

Post by Lang »

Sea Hunt,

A few years back, I was looking to buy a used hunter216 but I ended up with a TY. It surprised me in many ways. I found it to be especially sea worthy for its size of 18.5 ft.

To transport it back to Singapore, I paid approximately 2000USD on packaging and freight forwarding in a 40ft container. This is just a little background information relating to the next part.

My basic intent of buying a small sailboat was to sail from Singapore to Phuket singlehanded. I am a small sized person and I wanted something very simple to sail. BTW, I have a 5HP Suzuki 4stroke engine on her with a 6gallon tank.

In Dec 2005, I embarked on this trip. My 1st stop was a marina that is 70miles away. I anchored off a beach for the 1st night. It was a easy 35miles in 7hrs.

Next day, 1hr into my journey, I turn around the southern most point of Singapore Southern Islands and into one of the worlds most used shipping route. It was nasty out there as I lost weather protection from the islands. 20 to 30 knots and very choppy 5-9ft waves. I motor sailed with a double reefed main. I sat way back for better motor control and still the prop was in and out of water as we rode the chop. It was a 6hr struggle until I got into protected waters again. And another 5hrs before I reach the marina. So it was a 12hr day for 35miles.

On my trip, I did not felt that I was in danger at all. Sure I had lots of big ships and big waves and big wakes, but Eleanor was doing her job like she knows best. At the marina, I decided that I was not ready for the trip up to Phuket (600miles more to go). I needed to make some more improvements so that I can handle those same conditions again more comfortably.

One week later, my husband and I sailed Eleanor back to her berth. We departed 430am so that we could ride the current most of the way. It was a less windy day and no chops. We motor sailed all the way back on the 6 gallon tank and still have a quarter to spare. Thats 70 miles in 13hrs, but only because there is 2 of us.

I am still working on my next attempt at sailing to Phuket in Eleanor. Work commitments kept me from getting at it, but I think Dec2008 is a possible next try.

My recommendations for you are,
1) take on a crew.
2) find a marina within 50 miles and go there.
3) Start your day early.

If I were in your in area right now, I would volunteer to crew with ya. Hope this is helpful to you.

Have a good one.
Lang.
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Post by Sea Hunt »

I apologize for the delay in responding to many of the above posts. It’s been a tough few days.

On Friday, I learned a friend who is my age died of a rare illness (88th on the list of illnesses that kill). He was the grandson of a United States Supreme Court Associate Justice and a really nice down to earth guy. I attended his funeral this afternoon.

I got home from this funeral only to receive a phone call telling me that a good dive buddy and friend who is many years younger than I died this afternoon while breath hold diving in Key Largo. His wife is expecting their first child. For those familiar with breath hold diving he apparently suffered “shallow water blackout”.

None of the above has anything to do with sailing or Cape Dory sailboats. I sincerely apologize. It just all brings home to me things I rarely think about. Life is a lot shorter than we think it is.

Oswego John, John Vigor, Trapper, Gary, Neil, Dick, Joe, Jim, Bill, Eleanor and all. I know your posts are all meant with the best of wishes for me and offered in good humor. I am most grateful for your friendship and your good wishes.

Right or wrong, the trip for me has nothing to do with safety or anxiety issues. I long ago got over the concepts of fear and death in places far away from the Good Old US of A. For me, it is simply about looking like an embarrassed fool. I just don’t want to look like a fool in the process of dying. I could not stand the idea of being stranded and adrift in Florida Bay hoping for someone to rescue me or being found adrift in the Gulf of Mexico in 2-3 months -a suborned skeleton. That would be embarrassing. Or losing my Cape Dory that I bought with very limited funds to King Neptune because I did not know what to do to protect her in a sudden storm. That would be an embarrassing financial disaster.

I am grateful for everyone’s thoughts, suggestions, etc. My plan as of today (it could change tomorrow) is to pursue a truck transport or buy/rent a trailer. Unfortunately, this will obviously affect what I can afford to offer for this CD Ty Weekender. "The Admiral" having departed, boat funds are significantly reduced. :(

Does anyone know of a trailer designed for a Ty Weekender that I could rent or borrow for 4 or 5 days :?:
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
Gary H

Just do It

Post by Gary H »

Sea Hunt,
Having followed your tale of woe for the past year like a tragic novel, the time has now come for me to offer my two cents. Buy the boat!
I purchased a Ty last winter with less kowledge of boat repairs and sailing than you have and have enjoyed learning about and doing both all spring and summer. You will have no regrets and your future messages will take a new tack - upbeat, excited, positive, and energized. Seize the moment.
novotny
Location: 1977 Typhoon #1453 and 1966 Pearson Electra #330 "Imagination" in Buffalo, NY

Post by novotny »

Sea Hunt I second Gary H's sentiment. All things worth doing in life carry some risk, some real some imagined. You will NEVER find a perfect situation and a perfect boat. Perfect rarely exists in life and when it does it never lasts. Typhoon is a great boat for you, buy it, put it temporally in a marina close by and you will figure out how to get it to where you live. It is a very solvable issue (not a problem). And it's not like you are buying a $300 000.00 yacht, ITS A $3-4000 TYPHOON, AN 18 FT BOAT, GET IT, PLZ. Small boat small problems. Good luck
darmoose
Mystic Rose

transporting a ty

Post by darmoose »

seahunt,

when i bought mystic rose seven years ago, i had not sailed a boat larger than 14 ft. she is a cd30k and i had to get her back from indiantown, fl about 100 miles down the east coast.

i grabbed a neighbor, a cooler, some gear and away we went. we did get in a storm and survived all. i think you can do this safely, slowly.

cant a ty be beached if need be? and cant a ty be hauled on a flat rented trailer from uhaul a short distance like that?

i think i would put her on a flat trailer, brace her a bit remove the mast and anything else in the way and get her home.

good luck

darrell
Ron M.

Post by Ron M. »

If you guy's keep scaring him he'll never shove off......let alone own a sailboat.
Hear, Hear, John V. and Bill in Ok. Be safe....be prudent and learn to be...... a sailor.
________
B platform
Last edited by Ron M. on Feb 11th, '11, 05:43, edited 1 time in total.
trapper
CD25D, Lake Murray SC

transporting a Ty

Post by trapper »

Doesn't someone have a suitable trailer for a Ty in Fl? I'm in SC and I would go (and its a long way) but my only trailer has a boat on it with a 5 1/2' keel. I'm trying to buy a smaller trailer but that could take a while.
Tod M

If I were free, I'd jump on the chance!

Post by Tod M »

It's a long haul down to Florida from Ohio!

A couple of friends of mine (who live closer to Florida) sailed their 15' and 17' boats over to the Dry Tortugas a couple years ago and had a grand time!

http://alt.coxnewsweb.com/palmbeachpost ... /marooned/

Have fun! Life is not a dress rehersal!

Sorry about your buddies.
Keith Wood

Typhoon purchase

Post by Keith Wood »

Sea Hunt:

Buy the boat. Buy a trailer. Drive it yourself to your destination. Thereafter you have a means of transporting the boat when you need to take her home for repairs, for storage, or to move out of storm's way. My 20 year old daughter has driven my 1/2 ton p.u. with Typhoon in tow cross country with me. No big deal. Go for it, and start enjoying sailing, life is so short. You will have a trailerable boat, so take advantage of its trailerability from the very beginning.
Tracuman
Location: Callipygian 1982 Cape Dory 25D Hull #9 Treasure Island Fla

I have a suitable trailer

Post by Tracuman »

Seahunt,
I'm coming into the conversation a little late, but maybe I can help. I move my CD25D last year on a trailer I purchased. I'm in a slip, so my trailer sits on the side of the house. I'd be happy to rent it to you for $100. Since I'm in the Tampa Bay area, I'm probably closer than most. PM me if this is an option for you.
It's not what you have, but what you do with it that counts.
rtbates

Post by rtbates »

sooner or later you'll need to get out of your comfort zone...

Believe me when I say, you'll be glad you did.

Best of luck with whatever you chose.
Randy 25D Seraph #161
trapper
CD25D, Lake Murray SC

Ty trailer

Post by trapper »

SeaHunt,

Tracuman's offer seems very reasonable. It's not that far. You will probably want your own trailer, but for now rent his, move the boat and start SAILING!
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Post by Sea Hunt »

Tracumen:

Thank you for your kind offer. I sent you a "PM" yesterday evening.

Does anyone know what modification, if any, would have to be made to a trailer built for CD 25D to be able to accommodate a Ty Weekender :?:

I assume the 4-6 "jack stands" (or whatever they are called on a sailboat trailer) are angled and welded for a CD 25D. They can raised and lowered (screwed up and down) but only at the preset angle. Because this is my "assumption" I have a high degree of confidence that it is WRONG :!: :oops:

I am exploring the probability of a transport truck and having her delivered either to Miami (initially) or Key Largo. If to Miami, my thought would be to motor/sail her down Biscayne Bay, through the ICW and into Blackwater Sound. All of this is reasonably protected water, close to shore and I assume (again with that word :!: ) a reasonable amount of boat traffic.

Any thoughts on the CD 25D trailer issue and whether it can be used to haul a Ty Weekender :?:
Last edited by Sea Hunt on Oct 17th, '07, 19:37, edited 1 time in total.
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
Jim Davis
Edgewater, MD

Excellent solution

Post by Jim Davis »

I am exploring the probability of a transport truck and having her delivered either to Miami (initially) or Key Largo. If to Miami, my thought would be to motor/sail her down Biscayne Bay, through the ICW and into Blackwater Sound. All of this is reasonably protected water, close to shore and I assume (again with that word ) a reasonable amount of boat traffic.
All things considered this will be the easiest, a good adventure and not leave you having to anchor in out of the way places. Miami to Largo is a good learning trip.
Jim Davis
S/V Isa Lei
trapper
CD25D, Lake Murray SC

CD25 Trailer

Post by trapper »

SeaHunt,

As you know, my day job is not messing with boats. Add to that, my Ben is the real sailor in this family and I depend on him to fix everything--which I think he can.

I asked him about the trailer. I will pass on what he said as best I can--he thinks it is very doable. He thinks you just put the little boat on and pack in (with boards) and tie it down lots of tie downs).

Hopefully, there are others out there with more specific instructions.

Maybe even someone with a picture of Ty on a CD25D trailer! That would help.

One time I bought a San Juan 24 in Savannah, about 150miles away and I had no trailer. Ben rigged up my brother's McGregor 26X trailer to carry the San Juan 24 (keel boat). That was a much larger difference than an Ty 19 and a CD25. I am sure it can be done.

In that case, the hauler wanted $1,000., which was more than it was worth to me at the time. If you have a hauler that you think is reasonable and it all works--then do that. If she is your boat, grab her and it will all work out. Good luck!