Moving or transporting a Ty Weekender

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Moving or transporting a Ty Weekender

Post by Sea Hunt »

I looked at a CD Ty Weekender today located on the SW coast of Florida. The owner is a very nice gentleman and his Ty seems to be in good condition. We went for a brief sail in 1-2 kts winds. :(

I am considering making an offer. In addition to a few other issues I will have to work out on my own, there is an issue of how to get this Ty to SE Florida/Key Largo.

At present, I believe I will be able to establish a mooring in Key Largo, Florida, on the bay side at minimal monthly cost. I see the following options:

1. Sail/motor her to Key Largo. While the trip would not be "offshore", I do not believe I have the experience, etc., to do this trip in any sailboat, let alone a small sailboat - albeit a Ty Weekender. The current owner has suggested he may be willing to sail with me but much will depend upon his "better half". Assuming he will not be able to go, how much of a risk would I be taking by doing this solo. This Ty has a 2004 6hp 4 stroke Suzuki. It's only apparent flaw is that when you stand at the bow the shaft and prop come out of the water. If the motor is running, it then does not get any raw water cooling. I am guessing the trip is about 90-100 miles. I have NOT yet plotted a course, calculated distances, routes, etc. I am just playing this out in my brain - what little is left from years of Jack Daniels and Budweiser. :wink:

2. Borrow or rent a trailer. Because I will be on a mooring with access to a small tender/skiff, I really have no long term need for a trailer except to transport this Ty from SW Florida to Key Largo. In the event of a hurricane my plan is to do what sailors in the Keys have done for a hundred years - run her into the mangroves and tie her up with as much line as possible.

Does anyone know of a Ty Weekender trailer that I could borrow or rent :?:

3. Buy a trailer. This does not make sense because I really have no long term need for a trailer except to transport this Ty from SW Florida to Key Largo.

Nevertheless, does anyone know of a trailer mfg. in SE/SW Florida for a Ty Weekender :?:

4. Hire a transport co. to move this Ty Weekender from SW Florida to Key Largo. I have not yet obtained estimates, but based upon prior estimates of other CDs in Atlanta, St. Augustine, Sarasota, Niceville, Charleston, etc., I am guessing the price will be about $1,800 - $2,200 plus a fuel surcharge. This will not include costs to haul and load the truck in SW Florida and unload and launch in Key Largo.

Any suggestions, recommendations will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
Dick Villamil

ty weekender transport

Post by Dick Villamil »

what is your timeframe? The motor should be a longshaft model to avoid cavitation. I would trust the Ty with no reservations. Just pick your weather window and leave 4 days for the trip and enjoy the scenery and the camping. The shallow draft is ideal for the area. Store the boat until hurricane season is over then post this site for helpers - I and 1000 others might jump at the opportunity to help sail her over.
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

It Sounds Like You Found A Keeper

Post by Oswego John »

tHi Robert,

A question or two need answers in order to balance the total equation.

It's granted that. you don't have to put the Ty on the hard for several months each year as other owners have to do. What facilities or methods do you have in order to periodically clean the bottom of marine growth and repairs. I understand that you scuba dive.

#1 Will you have to store the boat on the hard at times?

#2 If you do have to store the boat, do you have facilities at home or at a friend's place for storage?

#3 Is the mooring at or near a marina or boatyard?

#4 Is there a ramp convenient, municipal or otherwise, that you can use?

Based on the info that you gave us, I think that all things considered, you should buy or rent a trailer and haul the Ty to it's new home. If you should buy a trailer, new or used, there is always a demand for a boat trailer and it would be fairly easy to get all or most of the purchase price back if you resold it.

If you keep the trailer, the Ty can be stored on it rather having to pay boatyard lifting and storage fees. Should a hurricane come, load the boat on the trailer and get out of town. By moving the boat yourself on your own trailer would be a lot cheaper than having a boat hauler transport the Ty to Key Largo and the next crane or boat lift fee.

My 2¢
O J
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Post by Sea Hunt »

Dick:

I do not have a time frame exactly. IF (a big if) we come to an agreement on price, etc., I would "own" her and be responsible for care, maintenance and damages. I would not want to leave her on the SW coast until 30 November (the technical end of hurricane season) and would want to move her (one way or another) to South Florida/Keys ASAP.

John:

The mooring area offered by a friend would be temporary for a year or so. I had not given any thought to haul out from the mooring. There are no marinas close by for haul out that I am aware of.

I could store the Ty at my house. However, I am not sure that is a good idea. Having experienced Hurricane Andrew (24 August 1992 @ 0412 hours landfall) I would not want to worry about a sailboat getting thrown around my yard by 140 mph winds. Stuffing her in the mangroves is strongly recommended in this area - assuming your are near mangroves.

The downside to this is getting access to the Florida Keys after a hurricane. It can be logistically difficult. I am sure my dive friends would be able to assist in the short term.

The mooring is near a ramp (privately owned by my friend) but it is old and has a lot of "slim" (technical word, sorry). Because the Ty is a full keel, I assume any trailer would have to go pretty far into the water. Doable but risky.

My thought was to put her on the mooring, sail her in the sound for a year, get comfortable with her and then move her up to Miami if and when dock space hopefully becomes available.

Never having owned a trailer and never having trailered anything in my life, I am leery of trailers. It just seems like another big ticket item requiring a lot of maintenance and care that will eventually (if not sooner) rust.

As an aside, regardless of any hurricane, I would not leave town. I rebuilt my home after Hurricane Andrew to my own stringent building code - much higher than Dade County at the time. With a supply of canned goods, some MREs, a few cases of Jack Daniels and a few cases of Budweiser, I am set for at least a week. :)

I am trying to determine the model of the Suzuki O/B and the shaft length. Being the dummy I am I forgot to obtain this information earlier today. :oops:

Fair winds,
Fair winds,

Robert

CDSOA #1097
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

Unless you have an ongoing need for a trailer, don't buy one. Your best and most enjoyable option is to sail home.

I'd agree with about 4 days + a weather window for doing 100 miles. Plan carefully and know where you can tuck in for an unsceheduled stop. Probably best not to try this trip solo... I suspect you could round up some decent crew by asking on this board.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Ron M.

go for it

Post by Ron M. »

Seahunt,
good luck on this one.......This would be a fantastic opportunity to get some experience and get to know your ( if you make the decision) boat. The distance you mention isn't that far. If your time frame allows, break the passage up over a few stops, stay close to shore and have a ball.
________
History Of Bmw History
Last edited by Ron M. on Feb 11th, '11, 05:43, edited 1 time in total.
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: go for it

Post by Neil Gordon »

Ron Musk wrote:... stay close to shore and have a ball.
Close to shore?! That just increases the chance that you run into the land.

Seriously, I think I understand your advice but I'd state it differently. Mostly, it's about keeping options open if things go badly... close to a safe harbor is a good idea but close to (or in) open water with sea room can be a good idea, too.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Dick Barthel

Sail

Post by Dick Barthel »

Sea Hunt:

Seems like a no brainer - SAIL! After your experiences in Maine this should be cake.

Is the Sea Hunt's hunt really over? That's such great news. And you've certainly picked out a perfect boat to get your feet wet....let me rephrase that!

Good luck!

Dick
John Vigor

Don't hex it

Post by John Vigor »

Dick Barthel wrote:Sea Hunt:

Is the Sea Hunt's hunt really over? That's such great news. And you've certainly picked out a perfect boat to get your feet wet....let me rephrase that!

Good luck!

Dick
Good grief, Dick, don't say it out loud. You'll put a hex on it. The hunt's not really over until the hunt's really over, and I'm sure a lot of us are now biting our lips over the latest obstacles involving trailers, and outboard motors that come out of the water when you stand on the foredeck.

Silent prayer is what's called for here. May the gods of the sea and the wind grant Sea Hunt the power to purchase a boat, any boat, even a less-than-perfect boat . . . and soon, please.

Yours on bended knee,

John Vigor
Sea Hunt

Post by Sea Hunt »

Mr. Vigor:

I have now read your post five times. I cannot stop laughing :D :D :D

It is obvious why your books are so successful.

In my defense, allow me to state that I believe I contribute a certain sense of levity (albeit however unintended) to the erstwhile "formality" and "sanctity" of the CDSOA Board. :wink:

I have NOT committed to this CD Ty Weekender although I do remain interested. I want to carefully consider all of the potential issues. I would welcome your insightful (if also rapier-like :wink: ) comments as well as those of other CDSOA participants.
Fair winds,

Robert

CDSOA #1097
Gary M
1982 CD22
Marina del Rey, CA

Next step is plan your route

Post by Gary M »

Sea Hunt,

From my experience your likely to get a lot of "go for its" from this board, I'm a little more cautious!

I've been sailing for many years but next to some members here I'm a "Tad Pole!"

I've never been off shore except for trips to Catalina (twice in a Ty) I've never weathered a storm except for one trip back from Catalina.

So if I were contemplating this trip I'd want to know what marina's are available along the way, and how far apart. I would probably give myself a window of 7 days and hope to make it in 5. (a 25 mile day, a 25 mile day, a day off, and two more 25 mile days for example)

If I had longer then 7 days, I'd be looking for a marina I could spend a day or two for some shore luxuries and tourist things.

For example, what if I found out there were nice marinas every 10 to 15 miles along the trip with facilities and guest slips! Well what more could you want, you could stop almost anywhere and if you stopped at every one you'ld still be home in 10 days!

Although 8 and 10 hour days are very possible, I wouldn't want two of them back to back. I'd prefer an easy day backing up a long day. Don't forget days are getting shorter and shorter.

Fuel has to be a consideration. If you carry 3 gallons and your boat gets 1/2 gallon per hour, that's 6 hours. If you consider you always need reserve you need to carry more fuel or plan on getting fuel every 4 hours.

If you have no self steering I think crew is a good idea. If you don't have local knowledge of the area crew with local knowledge is a good idea.

Thats a few of my thoughts.

All the best!
Gary
trapper
CD25D, Lake Murray SC

getting home

Post by trapper »

You know SeaHunt, I agree with Gary--you should excersie caution. I don't think that I would sail 100 miles in an 18 (or 19?) foot boat that I just met.

Do you have a friend with a stinkpot? A stout motor boat could make short work of that 100 miles. It would take a lot less time than sailing her but it would take more people.

If 3 people could trailer the motor boat up and one take the vehicle and trailer back then the other 2 could take the boats down. I've never towed a full keel boat, but sailboats in general can be tricky to tow. You have to make sure that you either have someone in the sailboat at the helm or the tiller tied off just right. I lost steering on a sailboat once and it had to be towed along side the tow vessel.

For the kind of money you were talking about hauling--I bet SeaTow would take you during the week :D and they are not cheap :!:

I will pm with some other alternatives with lots of ifs :)
Neil Gordon

Re: getting home

Post by Neil Gordon »

trapper wrote:A stout motor boat could make short work of that 100 miles.
What about the concept of Hull Speed?

Sea Hunt, buy the boat, then get a qualified friend or two and sail yourself home. By the way, what are the prevailing winds like? On your nose, light and you'll be motoring, or what?
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
John Vigor

One thing at a time

Post by John Vigor »

Sea Hunt wrote:Mr. Vigor:

I have NOT committed to this CD Ty Weekender although I do remain interested. I want to carefully consider all of the potential issues. I would welcome your insightful (if also rapier-like :wink: ) comments as well as those of other CDSOA participants.
Sea Hunt, if you don't stop calling Mr. Vigor I'm going to stop praying for you. Nobody I know calls me mister, not even the cops.
Just call me John, okay? That's plenty formal enough.

As for the outboard problem, it is as naught. I had a Santana 22 that did exactly the same thing. If I wended my weary way to the foredeck, the bows would go down like a duck taking a drink, and the ass-end would poke up in the air, taking the outboard with it. It didn't matter, except that it made a strange croaky gurgling noise as the exhaust came out of the water. You can let it do that for several minutes at idle without overheating it. I don't know what damage it does to the impeller, but I did this pretty regularly and my old 1976 Evinrude never overheated or missed a beat.

Of course, if you have a crew who stays in the cockpit, the stern doesn't rise in the water so much, and it isn't a problem.

I would always hank on the jib before I left the dock or a mooring, leave it on the foredeck, and pull one sheet or the other in tight to keep it from getting out of control. If your jib halyard is led back to the cockpit, you can raise the jib without going forward.

The other answer is never to motor-sail. Either sail, or motor, not both together. Motor out into clear water, stop the engine, and raise the sails. Coming back, douse the sails before you start the motor. Voila! No more croaky-gurgle paranoia.

My advice to you would be to concentrate on one problem at a time. First, buy the boat. Worry afterward about outboard gurgle, a trailer, and the method getting her home. Do this one thing at a time, otherwise your poor head is going to explode.

So, first the boat, OK? A little gurgling from the transom is absolutely no reason to turn down a Typhoon, I swear to you.
Likewise, once you have a boat, the other problems will resolve themselves in no time. They shouldn't have any influence on whether or not you buy the boat.

I'm not a religious man, Sea Hunt, but I've just lit a giant candle for you because I want to see you succeed. I'll blow it out when you buy the boat. If it burns the house down meanwhile, you're going to be in a lot of trouble.

John Vigor

"Hope swells my sail." -- James Montgomery
Dean Abramson

Post by Dean Abramson »

Dear Mr. Hunt,

I personally don't think you ought to plan to singlehand a new-to-you boat that far initially. Put me in that camp.

I also agree with John about not making your brain explode. Do what most of us did: buy now, think later.

Here is an idea: if you are determined to go by sea, tell the owner that crewing on the delivery is part of the deal. No go, no dough. He gets the farewell cruise, and you get the benefit of his experience and a doubling of crew size. And it it's part of the deal, his wife will have to think about how much she wants him to sell the boat...

Good luck. Go for it, mon.

Dean
Dean Abramson
Cape Dory 31 "Loda May"
Falmouth, Maine