Running rigging on a Cape Dory 14

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Ron Brassord

Running rigging on a Cape Dory 14

Post by Ron Brassord »

We are close to setting a sail on our newly renovated CD 14. I have only to install running rigging. There was nothing left from the original setup to guide us, and I would like to continue to rig the boat with the original plan.
Question, where does the halyard tie off, and would it be a good idea to run it back to the stern area with a turning pulley?
Question, how is the main sheet rigged. and where cleated?
Thanks again. This board has been a great help. Ron B
Tod M

details here...

Post by Tod M »

Hi, Ron

http://www.capedory.org/specs/brochures/CD10_14.pdf

Shows how it is rigged. The halyard runs down to the bow and then aft to a cleat. The sheet, as is typical on small dinghies, is not cleated but just hand-held so it can be dumped quickly in the event of a gust.
Ron Brassord

CD 14 rigging

Post by Ron Brassord »

Wow I couldn't ask for more than that. Sure is simple. A few more piecies to install, and it's sail time.
Thanks for the help. Ron B
Ed Haley

CD14 Running Rigging

Post by Ed Haley »

On the CD14 I'm restoring now, the main sheet begins at a stern traveler and then to a block along the end of the boom to another block about mid-boom. Then the sheet then heads down to a swiveling block with jaws on the board just aft of the mid-seat board. Then the sheet is controlled by the helmsman.

As was stated above, the halyard runs to a fitting just ahead of the mast and then to the starboard side to be tied off on a cleat about 3 feet aft on the inside rail.

I can't send pics since all the fittings are still off the boat.[/img]