Water under bildge

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

John Golden

Water under bildge

Post by John Golden »

I think I have water under my bildge floor and in the Keel. I have a capedory 28 1974. Should I grind out the Bildge floor and see how big the void is? Does anyone know how big the void is under the bildge floor?
Anthony P. Jeske
FLYING CIRCUS

Water under bilge

Post by Anthony P. Jeske »

Hi John:
I'm not sure just where you suspect the water is coming from. The lead ballast is encapsulated in the keel. There shouldn't be any voids in the encapsulation, but there may be a manufacturing flaw that left one on your boat.
There is no void under the sump (deep part) of your bilge, that's just solid fiberglass.
I'd be certain to eliminate all other possibilities before grinding the hull.
Do a search on this website for "water in bilge", you'll discover a lot of hints and suggestions.
Good Luck,
Tony Jeske
CD-28 #365
NO REGRETS
San Diego
paul marko

Post by paul marko »

I have a CD 28/77 the only place I found some voids and water in the bilge area was from the area nearest the rudder. There was some weeping from the fairing at the rudder attachment to the keel. I put some epoxy putty from out side,faired,painted and have had no problems for 7 years. Next time your boat is out of the water,Look on the outside,in an area nearest the bilge, and see if there any moisture on the surface.