best cruising music ever

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Carter Brey
City Island, New York

Re: Or...

Post by Carter Brey »

Neil Gordon wrote:
Carter Brey wrote:Every time we play this at the NY Philharmonic I close my eyes and imagine that.
Nice.

So the conductor is okay with you not looking?
Neil,

Ask any orchestral musician and they will tell you the same thing: NEVER look up! I'm sure my buddy and opposite number in the BSO, Jules Eskin, will tell you the same thing.

Fair winds,
Carter
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Carter Brey wrote:
Neil Gordon wrote:
Carter Brey wrote:Every time we play this at the NY Philharmonic I close my eyes and imagine that.
Nice.

So the conductor is okay with you not looking?
Neil,

Ask any orchestral musician and they will tell you the same thing: NEVER look up! I'm sure my buddy and opposite number in the BSO, Jules Eskin, will tell you the same thing.

Fair winds,
Carter
Okay, so then why do you need that wild-haired guy waving the baton? I guess he's just there so we having something to watch while we're listening.

Cathy
CD32 Realization, #3
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

I admit to strange tastes as well but I suggest according to mood

1) Almost anything by Correlli especially D major
2) It may be about a desert but Ferde Grofe's Grand Canyon Suite is a musical landscape that can transend to suggest the sea
3) Chopin is good for cloudy weather
3) 1960's Bob Marley
4) Bach Concerti
5) Ryan Adams Love is Hell
6) Bob Hoddes
7) Johnny Cash
8) Bryan Ferry
9) And for late at nights aboard, Tom Waits of course

Sincerely,
Paul
Carter Brey
City Island, New York

Post by Carter Brey »

Cathy Monaghan wrote:[

Okay, so then why do you need that wild-haired guy waving the baton? I guess he's just there so we having something to watch while we're listening.

Cathy
CD32 Realization, #3
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
Cathy,

He or she is there to siphon off excess dollars from the institution, which might otherwise be harmed by internal pressures resulting from operating surplus.

CB
drysuit2
Location: Segue, 1985 Cape Dory 26 Hull # 15 Port Washington NY

Favorite sailing music

Post by drysuit2 »

1-The song of the water as my hull slips through its viscous grip.
2- The symphony of the wind as it resonates my rigging.

I save the traditional music to mask out the drone of those other boats that always seem to think the entire anchorage wants to listen to whatever they are listening to.
henry hey
Location: Former owner: CD25 - 'Homeward Bound' hull #711. Now sailing with C. Brey aboard Sabre 28 Delphine

music

Post by henry hey »

Amen Frank,

No music while sailing, unless the wind is very very light. . and then I have the music (sweet music) of bottles of cold brew being opened.

I like my time on the water to be an escape from all other facets of life -- including music.

h
Warren Kaplan
Location: Former owner of Sine Qua Non CD27 #166 1980 Oyster Bay Harbor, NY Member # 317

Post by Warren Kaplan »

Henry,

I don't play music when I'm sailing either. I don't need to. Under certain sailing conditions the music just wells up in my head. I don't need my "ears" to hear that music. The perfect selection for the sailing conditions just seems to materialize out of nowhere!!

Most of the time there is no music...but sometimes its there punctuating a particular set of sailing conditions!
"I desire no more delight, than to be under sail and gone tonight."
(W. Shakespeare, Merchant of Venice)
Joe CD MS 300
Location: Cape Dory Motor Sailor 300 / "Quest" / Linekin Bay - Boothbay Harbor

Post by Joe CD MS 300 »

I'm assuming all this music is played on hand cranked Victorphones (is that what they are called). Of course all CDer's know how failure prone electronics are, that's why we all shun chartplotters over sextants, have no electric bilge pumps, oil lamps not electric, no VHF radios, only whistles and megaphones, etc.

Actually one of the nicest additions I have made to Quest was upgrading the radio and adding a Sirius satellite receiver, plenty of choices of music (I like it all, and variety the best) and all NFL games in the fall.

If any of you are into jazz and / or steel drum music check out Andy Narell, very nice mellow steel drum light type jazz.
Better to find humility before humility finds you.
wingreen

Post by wingreen »

Joe CD MS 300 wrote:I'm assuming all this music is played on hand cranked Victorphones (is that what they are called). Of course all CDer's know how failure prone electronics are, that's why we all shun chartplotters over sextants, have no electric bilge pumps, oil lamps not electric, no VHF radios, only whistles and megaphones, etc...
:D :D :D
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Hand Cranked Whatcha-macallits

Post by Oswego John »

Hi Joe,

When I was a boy, we had one of those music makers in the parlor. Did I say parlor? I wonder what a parlor is? Hmmmm.

Well anyway, this hand cranked music machine was called a Victrola. It had the logo of the RCA dog looking into the speaker cone. It was a riot when the windup spring was getting low and the music would start to moan and growl.

I think that the "records" that they played were 76 or 78 RPM. The records had a paper dust sleeve to store them in. When a new "must have" record came out, people raced to the music store to be first on their block to own the latest masterpiece.

I remember to this day some of the records we enjoyed. Just about everyone had several John Philip Sousa marches. Another popular series was Enrico Caruso singing popular arias of famous operas. My mother's favorite was John McCormack singing "The Tumbledown Shack In Athlone"

My all time favorite was Rudy Vallee (Rudy Vallee?? Who in blazes is that?) singing The Maine Stein Song, the official drinking song of the University of Maine, holding his everpresent megaphone. He was a true Damn Yankee.

The next problem at hand is how to tie this gem of wisdom into the topic of music for cruising.

Whatever, I'll think of something.
O J
drysuit2
Location: Segue, 1985 Cape Dory 26 Hull # 15 Port Washington NY

music in my head

Post by drysuit2 »

Good point about the music in your head.
I have on occasion started to sing the music in my head, out loud, at the top of my lungs, while sailing. So earnest apologies are in order for anyone who was in ear shot.