best cruising music ever

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

wingreen

best cruising music ever

Post by wingreen »

Opening theme from Star Trek 3, and the end credits. There's also some good stuff in-between, but the beginning and end is a sailor's soul.

No debate is necessary - I'm right about this...
SeaBelle
Sea Belle
Hail port: Rockland, ME

My Favorite

Post by SeaBelle »

is Vivaldi's Four Seasons.

In matters of taste there is no right or wrong.
Sail on,
Jack
CD28 Sea Belle
Hailport - Rockland, ME

There are old sailors and bold sailors, but there are no old, bold sailors.

Reef early and often. It's easier to shake out a reef when one is bored than it is to tuck one in when one is scared.

When your only tool is a hammer, all your problems look like nails.
Carter Brey
City Island, New York

Or...

Post by Carter Brey »

I suggest you try the Second Orchestral Suite from Maurice Ravel's ballet, "Daphnis et Chloe". The opening five minutes, although they are intended to paint a sunrise, are for me the most poignant evocation of the magic of setting sail from a secluded anchorage or mooring early in the morning. Every time we play this at the NY Philharmonic I close my eyes and imagine that.
plumber

Post by plumber »

Yellow Submarine
darmoose
Mystic Rose

Post by darmoose »

IN TO THE MYSTIC by Van Morrison, will rock your soul, and was made for sailing, lyrics and all

darrell
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: Or...

Post by Neil Gordon »

Carter Brey wrote:Every time we play this at the NY Philharmonic I close my eyes and imagine that.
Nice.

So the conductor is okay with you not looking?
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Chris Reinke
Location: CD330 - Innisfail (Gaelic for "A Little Bit Of Heaven on Earth"), Onset, MA

Post by Chris Reinke »

The music selection is pre-determind by the wind speed and sail selection:
0 - 5 knots - light jazz, perhaps a sax
5 - 10 knots - a bit more lively New Orleans jazz, perhaps a trumpet
10 - 15 knots - Jimmy Buffett or Van Morrison (brown eyed girl)
15 - 20 knots - Bruce Springsteen (born to run album)
over 20 knots - Bon Jovi, Rolling Stones, U2...played loud!
wingreen

ravel?

Post by wingreen »

Carter, you don 't just play cello - you're also a conoisseur of fine music.

Is the Second Orchestral Suite the one that begins with "Lever du Jour"? It reminds me a little of Debussy's Faun. That's pretty good stuff - thanks for the suggestion - but I still like the opening of Trek 3 better.

Plumber...

AHAHAhaha... for you, I'd like to recommend the timeless, "Popeye the Sailorman". I think I can also make room for "Octopus' Garden" in my cruising library.

If you all want to hear what I'm talking about, I think you can download a copy from napster.
wingreen

Post by wingreen »

Chris Reinke wrote:The music selection is pre-determind by the wind speed and sail selection:
0 - 5 knots - light jazz, perhaps a sax
5 - 10 knots - a bit more lively New Orleans jazz, perhaps a trumpet
10 - 15 knots - Jimmy Buffett or Van Morrison (brown eyed girl)
15 - 20 knots - Bruce Springsteen (born to run album)
over 20 knots - Bon Jovi, Rolling Stones, U2...played loud!
In my little Ty, anything over 20 kt and 4 ft seas feels more like "Night on Bald Mountain", but the Stones are also a good choice. "OOoo, a storm has threatened my very life today. If I don't get some shelter, oh yeah, I'm gonna fade away..."
Warren Kaplan
Location: Former owner of Sine Qua Non CD27 #166 1980 Oyster Bay Harbor, NY Member # 317

Post by Warren Kaplan »

When its just a nice, easy beautiful sailing day I always here Christopher Cross singing Sailing. Nothing special about it but for some reason that song is inside me and I hear it in my head when the boat is slightly heeled over and "she's sailin' in the groove."

Now, when the wind pipes up and there's howling aloft in the rigging and spray is coming over the bow, my man Carter already knows what music (besides the natural music of heavy weather sailing) is going through me.....Wagner's Ride of the Valkyries.

When the bow hits those waves and spray hits my face I can hear the cymbal crashes from that piece!!! I love it!! :D
"I desire no more delight, than to be under sail and gone tonight."
(W. Shakespeare, Merchant of Venice)
Judith

You HAD to keep going!!

Post by Judith »

I resisted this thread so stalwartly for the first few posts. But, nooooo, you-all had to add on and on. . . :roll:

OK, I give! Music + sailing: irresistible!

Peaceful early-morning/light air: Erik Satie "Gymnopedie No. 1" Also, opening of "Le Mer" (Hey, somebody had to say it :) )

Nicely grooving along: Charles Lloyd "Forest Flower," something from Villa-Lobos "Bachianas Brasileiras" (I forget the name : Little Train of the. . .??)

REALLY nicely cookin': Koko Taylor "Wang Dang Doodle," Allman Bros. "Jessica"

Spray over the bow: You're right, Warren: Ride of the Valkyries does it! I would also suggest the Ode to Joy AND the end-of-song, really-into-it choruses of Led Zep's "Ramble On," which always just make me wanna shout along! Maybe even the Stones "Satisfaction" :D
To unpathed waters, undreamed shores.
The Winter’s Tale. Act iv. Sc. 4.
dasein668

Post by dasein668 »

Passagemaking at night: Pink Floyd's Darkside of the Moon

General: Most anything by The Decemberists Castaways and Cutouts is my favorite, but all of it is excellent.
Nathan Sanborn
Dasein, Pearson Triton 668
dasein668.com
barfwinkle

Celtic Woman

Post by barfwinkle »

"Orinoco Flow"
Bill Member #250.
Warren S

Cape Dory 270 Hull #5

Washington, NC

Judith twisted my arm

Post by Warren S »

Sailing became enough of an obsession last year that I put aside my then-passion of Appalacian music - the roots of which can be traced back to Celtic and Scottish tunes that literally came over on the boats. Guess I'll be dusting off the open-back banjo this weekend for our usual boat-trip.

Maybe fire off a few shots of Bay of Fundy Reel, Durang's Hornpipe, and of course Road to Lisdoonvarna (a jig. Jigs = designed for dancing where there isn't much room, as in, deck of a ship).
"Being hove to in a long gale is the most boring way of being terrified I know." -Donald Hamilton
Didereaux

for Carter...NOT for when sailing...

Post by Didereaux »

I have a bit of the eclectic in my musical tastes and so cannot settle on one particular piece or genre while sailing. BUT I am pretty much convinced of one thing, you do not play Bartok's 6 String Quartets unless you want some excitement in the area.

...I swear any one of them will cause dis-ease amongst the various elements and you're apt to become the center of attraction for a teapots tantrums or worse.

;)
Didereaux- San Leon, TX
last owner of CD-25 #183 "Spring Gail"
"I do not attempt to make leopards change their spots...after I have skinned them, they are free to grow 'em back or not, as they see fit!" Didereaux 2007