For sale: 1978 Typhoon Weekender

Selling or looking for a Cape Dory? Selling or looking for used gear? List your "Wanted to Buy" or "For Sale" items here.
Ben Miller

For sale: 1978 Typhoon Weekender

Post by Ben Miller »

This has been a special boat for me and my family for the last 10 years, but it’s time for our sailing journey to go in a different direction. Dragonfly is a sturdy, seaworthy vessel in good condition. All major maintenance has been taken care of over the years. She’s not cosmetically perfect, but she could be if you want to put in the elbow grease, and besides, who looks perfect after 46 years?

Asking $4,000. Located in Traverse City, Michigan. Currently in the water but will be coming out in the next few weeks.

The Good
  • 2018 - Toerails rebedded. No leaks!
  • 2018/2019 - Rebedded most other deck hardware - cabin-top jib track and cleats, stern cleats, foredeck cleat, mast step, shroud chainplates. No moisture found in the deck during the rebedding.
  • A freshwater boat for as long as I’ve known her
  • 2019 - trailer bearings replaced, bearing buddies installed
The Less Good
  • The standing rigging is old could stand to be replaced. Still working, though.
  • Gelcoat is original and mostly in good shape, but needs a good buffing to look its best. Some minor scratches and chips.
  • Teak trim is in fair condition. Functionally gray but quite weathered. Other than the toerails most is probably original to the boat. This could also be a “good” feature, if you don’t enjoy varnishing.
Equipment
  • Single-axle trailer. Roadworthy.
  • Two sets of sails
  • Main and 135% genoa from Quantum in 2018
  • Older main and working jib. Possibly original to the boat
  • Minn Kota Endura Max 55 trolling motor
  • Group 27 deep cycle battery
  • 50W solar panel
  • Victron MPPT charge controller
  • Achilles inflatable dinghy & oars
  • Porta-potty - Never used as far as I can tell
  • Danforth anchor with rode
  • Four life jackets and throwable ring
  • Full set of cushions in good condition
  • Masthead Windex
  • Two winch handles
  • Fire extinguisher and flare set (expired)
  • Paddle
  • Toolbox with miscellaneous spares in it.
If you don’t need or want the trolling motor and associated electrical gear, I’ll knock $100 off the price. Same for the dinghy.
Attachments
IMG_2316.jpeg
IMG_2387.jpeg
IMG_2628.jpeg
IMG_3553.jpeg
IMG_0168.jpeg