CD 36 Tiller steering. GGR

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Niko69

CD 36 Tiller steering. GGR

Post by Niko69 »

Good afternoon, all, new to forum. I was hoping someone can share information about the C36. I was reading somewhere that some of these boats also came with tiller steering. However, I have never seen one in the market. Do they actually exist? or myth? Understanding also upcoming Golden Globe race, from what I have noticed all the boats are either fitted or came with tillering steering. The C36 being one of the few qualifying boats allowed to participate. Appreciate the feedback
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Re: CD 36 Tiller steering. GGR

Post by John Stone »

Not a single CD 36 was ever built with tiller steering. Zero. Zip. However, several have now been converted by their owners. My CD 36, the Far Reach, was the first to be converted. I documented it here. http://www.farreachvoyages.com/blank-40/

Two more have been recently converted and both were accomplished without dropping the rudder. David Frederik in Connecticut (he did his own boat) and Mark Meredith from NY (James Baldwin did the work in GA). See YouTube Atom Voyager.

I can attest to the fact the boat steers beautifully with a tiller as I think Mark and David will too.

Let me know if you have more questions.
IMG_0968.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Carl Thunberg

Post by Carl Thunberg »

Russ Cambell, CD36 Nutmeg in Tenants Harbor, Maine has also converted to a tiller.
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

Carl Thunberg wrote: Sep 6th, '24, 11:16 Russ Cambell, CD36 Nutmeg in Tenants Harbor, Maine has also converted to a tiller.
👍
tvangilder

Post by tvangilder »

I intend eventually to convert my CD36 to a tiller.

I previously converted my CD30 to a tiller.

-Thad
Thad Van Gilder
CD36 #53 "NIrvana"
Home Port: Rock Hall, Md
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

That sounds great Thad. Tillers rule. Gonna take over the world.