Origo stove fuel canister

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Ann and David Brownlee

Origo stove fuel canister

Post by Ann and David Brownlee »

We installed an Origo 6000 (2 burners + oven) when we bought our CD31 in 2000. Lovely stove! But about 5 years ago, we noticed that two of the stainless steel fuel canisters had rusty spots on the bottom and were beginning to leak. We shipped one of them off to Practical Sailor's "Gear Graveyard" but never heard back. (It was shortly after this that they discontinued the feature.) Searching online, we found replacement canisters from Dometic (which seems to have taken over the Origo product line), and bought one. With it and the almost unused canister that was in the oven, we have limped along since then, with the two burners in service. But now the remaining Origo OEM canister (from the oven) is beginning to rust... And it appears that Dometic has discontinued Origo stoves and parts. West Marine and every other place I can think of says that the stoves and parts are unavailable. These stoves are so fabulously good, it's heard to believe that no one wants to supply parts to the thousands of us who use them. Any suggestions? I see that a company called CleanCook (Sweden) manufactures a stove that uses what look Origo canisters in Africa. Does anyone have some Origo canisters that they'd like to sell?

Thanks!
Ann and David Brownlee
Cape Dory 31 #1 "Windrush"
Havre de Grace, MD
Frenchy

Re: Origo stove fuel canister

Post by Frenchy »

I just checked facebook marketplace and there are a few Origo used stoves available. Unfortunately, you have to buy the complete stove.
Prices range from around $150 to $300 or so.
As a side note, I'm surprised the canisters rusted. I had an Origo 3000 on my previous boat and there was never any serious rust. The
gratings would occasionally need a wipe with a scotch brite, that's all.
Anyway, good luck with the stove - you're right, it's a treasure. - Jean
Jean - 1983 CD 33 "Grace" moored in
Padanaram Harbor
Massachusetts
Ann and David Brownlee

Re: Origo stove fuel canister

Post by Ann and David Brownlee »

Thanks! We were surprised by the rust, which appeared in a few scattered places on the bottoms of the canisters. It may be worth it to buy a used stove, since, when they were last available, the canisters cost ~$150!
Ann and David Brownlee
Cape Dory 31 #1 "Windrush"
Havre de Grace, MD