Looking f/pics CD30 Staysail Roller Furler

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Bob Ohler

Looking f/pics CD30 Staysail Roller Furler

Post by Bob Ohler »

I’ve made the decision… I’m going covert the staysail on our CD30B to roller furling. What I’m look for is pics of how you lead the lines aft and cleated them. I want to keep the boom but I haven’t figured out how to rig the out haul. Any pics or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Bob Ohler
CD30B #335
Bob Ohler
CDSOA Member #188
CD30B, Hull # 335
sv Aloha Spirit
Jim Walsh

Re: Looking f/pics CD30 Staysail Roller Furler

Post by Jim Walsh »

Here are a couple photos showing how I’ve rigged the furling staysail on Orion.
After my first trip to Bermuda I had to drop the staysail several times in squalls and heavy sustained weather. A couple times I found myself in mid-air waiting for the foredeck to rise to my feet, it was then I decided a furling staysail would be a big improvement.
I bought a Harken furling unit and had a new stay made so I was starting off with all new components. I assembled the furling unit and everything went fine following the detailed instructions. Measure twice and cut once is the way to go.
For the clew outhaul I have a single block shackled to the clew ring. I have a single block with a becket attached to the clew end fitting of the staysail boom. Where the staysail boom attaches to the pedestal I have a dyneema continuous loop with another single block. The clew outhaul line is attached to the becket then runs to the block on the staysail clew, then back to the becket block at the clew end of the staysail boom, then it runs along the staysail boom to the block at the pedestal, then it runs to another single block attached to the bow pulpit, then it runs aft through a series of blocks at each stanchion and is cleared to a cockpit coaming cleat.
The actual furling line in similarly led to a block attached to the bow pulpit, thence through a series of blocks at each stanchion before terminating at another cockpit coaming cleat.
It only appears complicated when written.
The methodology is the same regardless of the size of the boat. Hopefully you can expand the photos I’ve attached and you can see the way the lines are rigged and led aft.
You will find the staysail will be used much more frequently as you now have an infinite number of adjustments you can make to increase and decrease sail. All from the comparative comfort of the cockpit.

Expand the photos to see them more clearly.
IMG_6326.jpeg
IMG_5890.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time