Replacement Teak

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Scott B.

Replacement Teak

Post by Scott B. »

The slide rails on my '78 CD 25 have seen better days (cracked, lost teak, etc.). I have been looking on-line for teak suppliers. One plank of teak to work from will cost me $400. Does anyone have a new teak supplier (whether on-line or in the Northeast) they would recommend? Or a source of used teak?
Skipd

Re: Replacement Teak

Post by Skipd »

Boulter Plywood in Medford MA is a good source. I’ve used them in the past to get teak for various restoration projects. You’ll find they have a marine focus.

https://www.boulterplywood.com/

Thanks
jfischgrund

Post by jfischgrund »

Reader's Hardwood Supply in Taunton MA is excellent.
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

Scott B. wrote: Apr 6th, '24, 10:57 The slide rails on my '78 CD 25 have seen better days (cracked, lost teak, etc.). I have been looking on-line for teak suppliers. One plank of teak to work from will cost me $400. Does anyone have a new teak supplier (whether on-line or in the Northeast) they would recommend? Or a source of used teak?
Impulse Trading Company in Newport NC is who I use. They often have shorts so you don't have to purchase a 10' plank. They also often have 8/4 shorts in 6" widths which would be ideal. Jack King is the manager. Call and speak to him. He might be able to help you. He has been helpful to me over the years.
tvangilder

Post by tvangilder »

Anchors and Oars in Grasonville, Md sells used teak. They are a great resource!!!
Thad Van Gilder
CD36 #53 "NIrvana"
Home Port: Rock Hall, Md
Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

All excellent advice. Thank you to all. I visited Readers as they are local to me in SE Mass. Nice low overhead (i.e. warehouse) operation. Stacks and stacks of exotic hardwoods. However, they have only a small quantity of Teak and are not looking to sell short/cut pieces.

They recommended Afromosia as a substitute. Does anyone have experience with this wood? Was generally a darker wood than Teak, but they indicated it had similar rot resistance and exterior use durability as Teak. Alternatively, does anyone have experience with African Mahogany which they had plenty of? Both Afromosia and African Mahogany were much less costly than Teak. Greenwood was also indicated as a good substitute for Teak.
jbenagh
Salem, MA

Post by jbenagh »

When I was at Boulter in January, prices for teak had doubled since 2020 and they told me their supplier was finished and they would not replenish their inventory (for teak, that is).
Jeff