Improving the Cape Dory 25 bilge access.

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

brooksey4018

Improving the Cape Dory 25 bilge access.

Post by brooksey4018 »

Hi

My bilge on my Cape Dory 25 I recently acquired needs a good old sub and paint and possibly I fresh layer of fibre glass as some of the original fibers are starting to lift. However access to the bilge is shockingly limited in these boats. The deepest part of the bilge is right back under the companion way steps and what was meant to be the cool box a good few feet away from the only access hatch in the cabin sole, even putting a bilge pump down there and wiring it up presents a bit of challenge let alone basic maintenance. The existing Rule Bilge pump that came with the boats was just completely blocked with debris, I have cleaned it out and saved it but I do need to clear the bilge to ensure the pump does not get blocked when we need it the most.

From what I can make out my main options to increase access is to.

A. Cut a longer access hatch as close to the steps as possible. Possible the simplest, but does it really improve the situation.

B. Cut out the original cold storage box and steps to cut a hole through the sole above the deepest part of the bilge and replace the steps and install modern cool box that can some how be removed easily as needed for future access to the bilge. Most drastic and is a bit of work that will need careful planning is it is in the heart of the boat where we will see it every day,

C. Cut an access hatch through from the space under the cockpit where the bilge pump pipe emerges. This is on the centre point at the bottom of the bulkhead beneath the companion way hatch. Seems the best option to me.

Does anyone else feel the same about the access to the Bilge in the 25 and/or have attempted any of the solutions above. I'd love to hear your thoughts on what I am thinking and your experiences in living with the 25 bilge access.

Thank you.
Ian
1977 Cape Dory 25
Lake Ontario
NY
bgephart

Re: Improving the Cape Dory 25 bilge access.

Post by bgephart »

I appreciate your concern, but I think you are trying to solve a very unlikely problem. I have owned my current 1980 CD25 since 1984, and before that a 1974 CD25 for 4 more years, and I have never seen or heard of a significant bilge water problem. It is a relatively small bilge, and any problem would be quickly apparent, and easy to address. ButI have never had any notable problem with my boat that is in the water 52 weeks a year except one week every 3 years for bottom paint. There was another recent post making this same point about dry CD25 bilge. Don’t spend time / $ tearing up your nice boat over a very unlikely problem. Go sailing!
tartansailor

Re: Improving the Cape Dory 25 bilge access.

Post by tartansailor »

I don't understand why anyone would want to cut up the floor for more access.
There is plenty of room for a bilge pump to be placed forward of the opening to the lowest point in the bilge.
Why not leave well enough alone and go sailing?
Respectfully,
Dick
Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam