Cape Dory 25 folding door for the head

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

brooksey4018

Cape Dory 25 folding door for the head

Post by brooksey4018 »

Hi

We have a 1977 CD25 project on the go. We noticed in the original brochure that there was a folding door that closed off the head and also the bulk head between the salon and the v-berth/head area. Over the years our door has been removed, we know it was once there as we still have the screw holes in the starboard bulk head. We would like to install a new door/blind for privacy reasons and we are wondering if anyone has a photo of the original door or an aftermarket re-fit of one to help us with our design process.

Thanks
Ian
1977 Cape Dory 25
Lake Ontario
NY
fmueller

Re: Cape Dory 25 folding door for the head

Post by fmueller »

Clearly there was one originally but typically folks remove them ... I have same problem in my 27 ... no privacy between head and vberth ... never thought of it when I bought the boat ... there is a door between the head and salon on my 27 tho ...

https://www.google.com/search?q=cape+do ... XM&vssid=l

https://sailingmagazine.net/article-136 ... ry-25.html

suggestion: read down this thread

https://www.reddit.com/r/HomeImprovemen ... old_doors/

cheers

Fred
Fred Mueller
Jerezana
CD 27 Narragansett Bay
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

Well, I know no one is asking but when we rebuilt the interior in our 36 I purposely eliminated the head door. It closed off the boat, prevented the breeze from moving from fore to aft, made the boat feel much smaller, and was a PITA to use. I can't imagine using one in a 25' boat. We also removed the door from the opposing hanging locker. We rigged a curtain there and then put the cord on a hook so we can detach it pull it across to the head for privacy when we need it. Works much better than a door in my opinion.
IMG_3569.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by John Stone on Feb 17th, '24, 17:18, edited 1 time in total.
brooksey4018

Post by brooksey4018 »

Thank you for the info and pointers and we take the point regarding closing down what is already a small space. We are thinking it would be bi-fold door that could fold away across the locker space when not in use, but maybe a curtain that is easily removed is the answer. Thank you.
Ian
1977 Cape Dory 25
Lake Ontario
NY
jfischgrund

Post by jfischgrund »

Fred, a tension rod with a curtain between the head and the v-berth on the 27' provides some degree of privacy. Simple, easy to stow, and easy to put up for times when you have people in the v-berth and quarter berths.
Carl Thunberg

Post by Carl Thunberg »

I'm all for the curtain idea. Even when latched in the open position, bifold doors have an annoying way of slapping when you are under way, or at anchor if there is any swell at all. It's right up there with halyard slap on someone else's boat at night. So annoying.
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
fmueller

Post by fmueller »

My intervening cabin/head door swings up against the hanging locker ... a simple bungee keeps it from slapping ... so in warm weather thats where it is parked and generally is out of the way enough. In winter (I keep my boat in year round) it serves to cut off the forward 1/2 of the boat (fresh water tank and head are de-commissioned) and the bilge heater operates into a smaller space lifting the cabin and engine space a bit more than if the boat were fully "open". And of course it does provide a bit of privacy between the main cabin and head ...
Fred Mueller
Jerezana
CD 27 Narragansett Bay