Cape dory 25 1978 windows

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Rmatthews

Cape dory 25 1978 windows

Post by Rmatthews »

I’m new at the sailing an I bought a nice boat but I’m looking to replace all the portholes and I can’t seem to find the long windows that measures 31 inches long an 6 inches wide from hole cut out can someone please help
Jim Walsh

Re: Cape dory 25 1978 windows

Post by Jim Walsh »

Polycarbonate (Lexan) is available at any glass shop. It’s best if you remove the existing ports so the shop can use them as a template to make the new replacements to the exact size needed. If the ports are installed by means of an aluminum frame you may, or may not, be able to reuse the frame. If not, the replacement ports will have to made oversized to compensate for the lack of a frame to leave room for the attachment fastenings.
It would be helpful if you uploaded a picture of what you are dealing with. You won’t be finding off-the-shelf replacements for a boat constructed forty-five years ago.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
Scott B.

Re: Cape dory 25 1978 windows

Post by Scott B. »

Jim/Rmatthew,

My aft portholes (the longer ones) have leaked a little since I bought my same 78 CD25. I have always planned to pull them out and seal them. Jim if you know, and Rmatthew if you experienced, what is the construction of the portholes? Do they just slip into a similarly sized hole in the gelcoat/fiberglass or do they just sit on the edge of the gel/glass hole? Could you recommend a sealant product to use? Does it have to be a marine product for the salt environment or can it be for typical home sealant use?

Thanx for any info you can provide.