About the Universal M25XpB engine

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

PokiDori

About the Universal M25XpB engine

Post by PokiDori »

I am considering the purchase of a 1980 Cape Dory 33.
Engine was replaced in 2009 and has 500hrs.
Transmission was replaced in 2013 (ZF/Hurth)
I can't find any information on the reliability of this particular engine.
All I found in a forum was that they tend to "vibrate excessively and chew transmissions"!
Any thoughts?

Also the last survey shows moisture readings in keel and rudder.
Anything unusual for that model? Is that something I should worry about?

Otherwise, the boat has been very well cared for.

Thank you so much!

PS. This will be my first boat so I'm over cautious
Jim Walsh

Re: About the Universal M25XpB engine

Post by Jim Walsh »

I have a M-25XPB, it’s a 2007 model. When I bought Orion in December 2006 I knew the engine needed replacement and this was marketed as a direct replacement. I’ve had no issues with the engine but I have had the tranny thrust washers replaced. This entails removing the tranny so it’s not an easy or simple job but it is routine maintenance.
If your engine, or any engine, “vibrates excessively and chews transmissions” there are other issues which are atypical and the root cause must be determined.
In the last sixteen years I have replaced the exhaust riser and had the heat exchanger cleaned with a mild acid solution. I just replaced the raw water pump this past week. Other than that it’s been fluid and filter changes annually over the last thousand+ hours of use.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
SVFayaway

Post by SVFayaway »

I just bought a boat (Morgan 364) with a M25XPB. It is pretty rattly in idle but as Jim points out, chewing up transmissions is not something engines do unless there's a serious issue. The person who said that may have been conflating the reputation of the much maligned Hurth 50 (ZF5M) transmissions that are often married to Universals of that size. Even then, there are varying opinions on the longevity of those transmissions and in general I wouldn't worry about it until there's an issue. There are a variety of drop-in or near drop-in replacements for the Hurth transmissions that have a better reputation in the event it kicks the bucket.
Avery

1974 Cape Dory 28
S/V Fayaway, Hull No. 2
Frenchy

Post by Frenchy »

This may not be relevant, as it relates to the M25 and early M25XPBs - Jean

https://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/uni ... or_bracket
Jean - 1983 CD 33 "Grace" moored in
Padanaram Harbor
Massachusetts