CAPE DORY 30c "DE LA MER" is for sale

Selling or looking for a Cape Dory? Selling or looking for used gear? List your "Wanted to Buy" or "For Sale" items here.
Larry DeMers
CD30c #283
Lake Superior

CAPE DORY 30c "DE LA MER" is for sale

Post by Larry DeMers »

S/V DeLaMer, a 1983 Cape Dory 30c is reluctantly For Sale. This is a beautiful 1983 vessel, with only two owners over those 40 years. My wife and I have owned DeLaMer for 33 of those years, and spent the last 11 years living aboard full time. This boat has been fresh water sailed for her entire life. Equipment and finishes will reflect this feature.
I just finished our third full restoration of all equipment and sails for this boat when Covid-19 hit in 2019-2020. That was the last time that we sailed the boat unfortunately, due to health. The equipment that I installed was all new in 2019-2020, and barely turned on before our life changing experiences happened.
All sails were used about 6 months, and still nice clean and crisp. This includes a 140% Genoa on roller furler, reefable self-tending Staysail, Mainsail with three reef points, and Spinnaker with control sock, stored on deck in a deck bag attached to the port forward lifelines.
All electronics has been upgraded and replaced with Raymarine equipment, including:
. 9 inch MFD Chartplotter/depthsounder/fishfinder/radar display, mounted at the wheel.
. Raymarine Autopilot with course computer, and wheel drive.
. Raymarine Radar Dome with their multi-frequency scanner
. NMEA 2000 networking throughout boat
New 2 burner propane stove with oven, new 6 gallon tank with regulator, propane sniffer.
Super efficient IsoTherm Refrigerator/Freezer, DC motor type, with unique cooling scheme
Complete rewiring of entire boats' electrical system, replacement of the system"fuse" panel
with magnetic breakers, and LED mimic panel showing lighting status thru boat.
High Output Balmar alternator (110Amps)
400W Wind Generator, capable of outputting 35Amps in 20kt. winds
80 Watts of rail mounted Solar Power, capable of 10Amps thru a Victron mppt regulator
440AH of battery storage in two house banks (House, and Refrigeration), plus separate
diesel starting battery
Various battery management tools and panels to maintain DC power in the boat.

For weather forecasting, something that makes sailing Lake Superior safer, I use the standardly available internet tools, plus I follow weather development using satellite weather broadcasting over Sirius/XM Weather for Sailors. This is displayed on your laptop or on the MFD at the helm. It displays National Weather Service radar images, forecasts, warnings and sea-state, delayed 5 minutes.
I also have phone amplification for cell use from a distance, and WiFi directional antennas for in harbor use.
We have had a wood burning stove in the boat for it's entire history, and love the added comfort it offers. Sailing in 40 deg. weather, wet and foggy, a fire makes a very good way to maintain a dry and warm interior...even while sailing.
All interior AND exterior cushions have been replaced with new foam and Sunbrella material.
All running rigging has been replaced with new cordage. The boats traveler and all of the mainsheet traveler system blocks going to the traveler are all new Garhauer products.
The dodger is all new and larger than the original dodger, to give added protection.

The list of improvements continues past this short list. In my opinion, this boat will be happiest in the hands of someone looking to explore their horizons, not depending on the 'grid' to provide them comfort, someone with an inquisitive contenance.

$24.5k, located on Lake Superior in Northern Wisconsin, in the Apostle Islands National Lakeshore.

demers_larry@yahoo.com
715-661-2419
Larry DeMers
John Danicic

Re: CAPE DORY 30c "DE LA MER" is for sale

Post by John Danicic »

Just to let you know, DeLaMer was featured on the cover of the very first, "Good Old Boat Magazine" cover back in 1998.

DeLaMer along with her owners, Larry and Jan were fixtures on Lake Superior for many years and great promotors of the, "delights" of Cape Dory boats and the cruising lifestyle of Lake Superior.
I attribute to them my own interest in CD's and to Larry with coming up with the idea of the portlight insect screens I ended up making for Cape Dorys for the past 20 years. DeLaMer has the very first set I made!

Thanks Larry and Jan for all your help, advice and friendship over the years and may you find a worthy successor caretaker for DeLaMer.......

Sail on and on and on......john
Sail on

John Danicic

CD36 - Mariah- #124
Lake Superior- The Apostle Islands
CDSOA #655
Cape Dory Picture Posts
Tom Keevil

Re: CAPE DORY 30c "DE LA MER" is for sale

Post by Tom Keevil »

When we bought Rover in 2002, there was no-one who provided more long distance support (both advice and boat parts) than Larry DeMers. In our experience, he was the definitive voice of Cape Dory boats. This boat will be a bargain for the lucky new owner, as I can’t imagine that it is anything but top rate. Thank you Larry for getting us started.
Tom and Jean Keevil
CD33 Rover
Ashland OR and Ladysmith, BC