Cape Dory Typhoon help with leak

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

warele

Cape Dory Typhoon help with leak

Post by warele »

For years, my Cape Dory Typhoon weekender has had water leaking into the bilge, especially in the month after it’s first launched. Rain is not the culprit, so it’s salt water coming up through the hull. I’ve had boatyard workers try to figure out the source and tried myself, by filling the bilge and looking for leaks through the hull. No one has had any success. My questions: What hull through-holes are there in a Cape Dory Typhoon? Any idea of how the salt water would reach the bilge? I've attempted to attach photos of the bilge fore and aft and of a hose with seacock, draining from the cockpit. Thanks in advance for any advice.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sloopjohnl

Re: Cape Dory Typhoon help with leak

Post by sloopjohnl »

i have addressed this in previous posts and you may want to do a search for them. I had the same issues as you until four years ago.
my Typhoon was taking on water when i launched and i gave it a week of monitoring to see if it stopped. the water was slowly seeping in the thru-hull for the cockpit scuppers. the leak did stop and that convinced me that something was swelling up and stopping the influx of water. my guess since your pictures show a gate valve on the thru-hull is that your thru hulls have never been rebedded or replaced from original build. I decided to remove the thru-hulls and rebed at the end of the season. Never a fan of the gate valves i planned on replacing them with ball valves which also required new thru-hulls. i also replaced the hoses and clamps for peace of mind. i used Sikaflex 291 adhesive sealant to rebed the brass thru-hulls. all the big marine stores carry the items you need.
replacing them is not the easiest for access so have the proper tools. I purchased a $15 spud wrench from Home Depot to remove the thru-hull. a sawzall and pipe wrenches and combo wrenches were required for the removal as well as the install
of the ball valves and thru-hulls on the inside.
it's not that bad a job to do and it completely stopped my leaks. by you saying it was leaking salt water i would bet the farm on the thru-hulls as being the issue!
good luck!
warele

Re: Cape Dory Typhoon help with leak

Post by warele »

Thanks so much for your help!