Cape Dory 28 SV "Fayaway" for sale-$19,500 SOLD

Selling or looking for a Cape Dory? Selling or looking for used gear? List your "Wanted to Buy" or "For Sale" items here.
SVFayaway

Cape Dory 28 SV "Fayaway" for sale-$19,500 SOLD

Post by SVFayaway »

Well the time has come to sell hull #2, Fayaway, because I am looking to a future where my wife and I have kids and as a result will need a bigger boat. I have doted on this boat for four years now and she is essentially a turn-key offshore pocket cruiser for 1 or 2 people. I am listing her here first before I list her with a brokerage, in the hope that I find an enthusiast who cares as much about the boat and her history as I do. I just took her down the Bahamas and back, including a five day offshore passage from Beaufort to Marsh Harbor and the boat performed wonderfully. I loved having her on the open ocean and would do it again in a heartbeat. She is currently moored at Anchorage Marina in Baltimore, MD. I would be happy to deliver her along the bay and Eastern Seaboard within reason. Probably as far as North Carolina to the south or Massachusetts to the north. I've tried to list all the upgrades I've done:

All chainplates rebuilt 2021-2022: Old steel chainplate backing plates removed, new backing plates fabricated from G10 composite sheet and fiberglassed in place. Forestay chainplate backing plate extended aft 12 inches and pad eye added for Solent stay.
Solent stay installed 2022: Colligo Dux Dyneema stay with Colligo terminators. Tensioned using the winches in the cockpit. Wichard mast tang installed on the mast.
All new running rigging 2022: Samson Ropes, new Wichard Shackles
Sails: New mainsail 2022, asymmetrical spinnaker with sock 2021, roller furling head sail 2017. Hank on working jib and storm jib for use on the Solent stay, unknown age but in very good condition. Telescoping whisker pole new 2020. New Alado roller furler 2020.
Standing rigging: replaced 2016.
Ground tackle: Mantus 35 lb. anchor and Mantus roller, new 2022. 150 feet of G4 5/16" chain. Lofrans Royal Manual windlass. Two spare Fortress anchors and one Delta anchor. Spare nylon rode with 10 feet of chain.
Engine: Rebuilt Yanmar 2GM20F installed 2022. Engine beds rebuilt using marine ply, aluminum and G10 plate. New fuel lines, shut off valves etc. Two 20 gallon plastic diesel tanks installed 2016.
Steering: Pelagic Autopilot new 2022. This thing is awesome. Windpilot Pacific windvane. Also superb-steered me most of the way to the Bahamas. Really excellent piece of equipment.
Forced air diesel heater installed 2022. Best thing I put on the boat-dry heat, and enough of it to sweat you out of the boat on a 25 degree day if you run it on high.
Electronics: I kept it pretty simple. Vesper XB-8000 AIS Transciever. NMEA 2000 backbone with an Airmar DST-800 Depth/Temp/Speed transducer. Transducer feeds data to the AIS which broadcasts over Wifi. I used an iPad and my phone for navigation. Will negotiate installation of a chartplotter if desired. Standard Horizon VHF with DSC.
Canvas: Dodger, bimini and connector, new 2020-2022. 100 watt solar panel on bimini with victron charge controller. Polycarbonate front windows in dodger. Boat comes with both a stack pack and a standard sail cover.
Interior: Pilot berth removed this year. I can either restore the pilot berth or replace it with storage similar to the arrangement on the opposite side. This is what I was going to do, since I found the pilot berth to be not practical and the seat on that side too narrow. The new arrangement is modeled after later Cape Dory 28s. Cushion covers okay but worn. I run a canvas shop so I am happy to recover the cushions per the buyer's request, for the cost of materials ($600-700 depending on choice of fabric).
Exterior Original plastic portlights replaced with New Found Metals stainless portlights 2022. My second favorite thing I've done on the boat. They open easily and provide a ton of light. Non-skid repainted with Kiwi-grip 2021. Dyneema life lines 2021. Brightwork is being redone this year, except for the toe rail which I've always left grey (I liked the way it looked with the grey Kiwi Grip.)

Known issues: Toe rail has a minor leak in the v berth. Some moisture on the cabin top. Handful of small blisters below the water line. The usual bumps and scrapes on 50 year old gelcoat. Tiller head fitting has some play and might need to be machined or replaced. I was using milk jug plastic as a shim but it wore out after a winter in the Bahamas.

Asking $22,500. I am willing to negotiate within reason, but I trust this community knows the value of one of these old boats. Again, I love this boat and hate to be selling it after everything I've put into it but it's just too small for us going forward. The price will go up once a broker gets involved. I'll get some photos posted shortly.
Last edited by SVFayaway on Jun 21st, '23, 22:17, edited 2 times in total.
Avery

1974 Cape Dory 28
S/V Fayaway, Hull No. 2
bobrob

Re: Cape Dory 28 SV "Fayaway" for sale-$22,500

Post by bobrob »

WHERE IS BOAT LOCATED?
SVFayaway

Post by SVFayaway »

Hi bobrob,

From the post above:
SVFayaway wrote:She is currently moored at Anchorage Marina in Baltimore, MD.
Let me know if you have any other questions.
Avery

1974 Cape Dory 28
S/V Fayaway, Hull No. 2
SVFayaway

Post by SVFayaway »

The sale will be handed over to a broker next week. Until then, I'll drop the price to $19,500. I have found a new boat so I am willing to accept offers so I don't have to finance the purchase.
Avery

1974 Cape Dory 28
S/V Fayaway, Hull No. 2
Griff

Re: Cape Dory 28 SV "Fayaway" for sale-$19,500

Post by Griff »

We have been looking for a Cape Dory 28 for over a year and haven't found one in really nice condition. Do you have pictures of your boat that you can post or email to me. My email address is SkipAndRitaGriffin@gmail.com.
SVFayaway

Post by SVFayaway »

Sent you an email!
Avery

1974 Cape Dory 28
S/V Fayaway, Hull No. 2
Griff

Post by Griff »

I am new to the Cape Dory site and may be overlooking your reply. Sounds like you sent me an email but I have not seen it. I am guessing you sent it to SkipAndRitaGriffin@gmail.com. We are interested in your boat and would like to see a few pictures before making arrangements to see it. We live in CT and are retired and available to see the boat at your convenience.
Thanks,
Rita and Skip Griffin
SkipAndRitaGriffin@gmail.com
SVFayaway

Post by SVFayaway »

I'll resend the e-mail! Let me know if you don't get it. Might have gone into your spam.
Avery

1974 Cape Dory 28
S/V Fayaway, Hull No. 2
SVFayaway

Post by SVFayaway »

Boat has been sold!
Avery

1974 Cape Dory 28
S/V Fayaway, Hull No. 2