Ty Sr specs vs CD22 etc.

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Alan Stewart

Ty Sr specs vs CD22 etc.

Post by Alan Stewart »

I’m the proud owner of 1986 Typhoon Sr. (#33?)”Sonnet”, and have a couple of questions…
Although I received an original brochure for the Ty Sr from “Fairport Sail, Inc.” of Grand River, OH(!?!), there is No mention whatsoever in the ‘86 CD Owners Manual..? So my 1st question is Why is that..?
I understand that the Ty Sr has the reputation of being the “poor cousin” to the CD22 by virtue of lacking some of the amenities that were included in the CD22, but is it safe to assume that All of the critical specs are the same or not? If not(?), then where can I find the real info for the Ty Sr?
I’ve not been successful (my ineptitude no doubt), in searching for Ty Sr posts that might address this question so am reaching out to other owners for help… My main reason is that I’m installing a new roller-furling headsail and need the specs to order one from Precision (have had great service from them for numerous Typhoon sails in recent years!).
Will be sailing out of BHYC in Frenchman’s Bay, ME (where I learned to sail nearly 60 yrs. ago!!), so also wondering about ideal sail size and fabric for those “typical” summer/fall conditions… I’m thinking of a 110-150% headsail w/padded luff for adjustable reefing..? Any comments or personal experiences with furling jibs on CD22 or Ty Sr appreciated!
Hope to participate in this years Maine Cruise in August!
Brimag

Re: Ty Sr specs vs CD22 etc.

Post by Brimag »

A good source is sailboatdata.com I prefer the Typhoon Senior with less clutter down below .I prefer outboard to diesel and prefer fractional rig. Same hull. Both are very well built . I have a 125% Genoa and that's good for my conditions. I would install new furler then measure or call up local sailmaker. Not a very large sail. I also have used Precision for a couple mainsails .I just have a standard Genoa with sunshield. I prefer Harken furlers, worth a little extra. Brian. Sailboatdata.comtyphoonsenior
Megunticook

Post by Megunticook »

I have a TySr. in Camden Harbor on Penobscot Bay.

I have a PDF of the manual which I'll attach to this post, includes specs (oops, won't let me attach, so use this link instead: https://baldmountaincompany.com/wp-cont ... Manual.pdf).

Personally I'd rather have the Ty than the 22.

I don't have roller furling--but in general I would say after 9 seasons sailing on Penobscot Bay that less sail is more. I rarely use anything bigger than the working jib on most days, but in very light air the genoa comes in handy. Rarely used though.
MHBsailor

Post by MHBsailor »

Congrats Alan! I've owned both 22-foot CDs and personally prefer (so no flames please lol) the Senior because 1) I like the fractional rig better 2) I like the longer side berths than the CD22 which has the sink at the top of the berth on one side and the ice chest on the top of the berth other on the aft side of the bulkhead which moves a reclining person down and out of the most spacious part of the cabin and 3) I prefer the outboard in the lazarette to having to stretch back to one on a stern mount (I also find that turns using both the outboard and the rudder in tandem are surprisingly tight for a long keel). The only catch is that if you're in warm water all summer it's best to take the outboard out of the water when possible and flush the water passages periodically as they will accumulate marine growth and eventually it will plug up the water passages and overheat. Like Brimag, I prefer the Harken roller furler (mine has been 100% reliable). Headsail is a 110% which I find perfect for the steady 10-12 seabreeze coming up the Narragansett Bay without heeling too much.
MHB Sailor
wikakaru

Post by wikakaru »

Alan Stewart wrote:I’m the proud owner of 1986 Typhoon Sr. (#33?)”Sonnet”, and have a couple of questions…
Although I received an original brochure for the Ty Sr from “Fairport Sail, Inc.” of Grand River, OH(!?!), there is No mention whatsoever in the ‘86 CD Owners Manual..? So my 1st question is Why is that..?
I understand that the Ty Sr has the reputation of being the “poor cousin” to the CD22 by virtue of lacking some of the amenities that were included in the CD22, but is it safe to assume that All of the critical specs are the same or not? If not(?), then where can I find the real info for the Ty Sr?
I’ve not been successful (my ineptitude no doubt), in searching for Ty Sr posts that might address this question so am reaching out to other owners for help… My main reason is that I’m installing a new roller-furling headsail and need the specs to order one from Precision (have had great service from them for numerous Typhoon sails in recent years!).
Will be sailing out of BHYC in Frenchman’s Bay, ME (where I learned to sail nearly 60 yrs. ago!!), so also wondering about ideal sail size and fabric for those “typical” summer/fall conditions… I’m thinking of a 110-150% headsail w/padded luff for adjustable reefing..? Any comments or personal experiences with furling jibs on CD22 or Ty Sr appreciated!
Hope to participate in this years Maine Cruise in August!
Congratulations on your "new" Typhoon Senior, Alan! It looks like others have answered your questions about where to find the specs of the various boats. If you haven't discovered it yet, sailboatdata.com now has a "comparison" feature. I couldn't figure out how to generate a URL for a comparison once you have selected the boats you want, but here's a screenshot of a comparison I pulled up of the Ty Sr, Typhoon Weekender, and CD22:
Ty Sr, Ty, and CD22 comparison from SailboatData.com.jpg
I see that MHBsailor has owned both the Ty Sr and CD22, so he would be a good person to reach out to. I currently own both a Typhoon (the 18-foot Weekender, not the 22-foot Senior) that I sail in Florida and a CD22 that I sail in Maine. While my experience is not quite an apples-to-apples comparison, I think it may still be helpful.

The Ty Sr and CD22 are not drastically different, but there are are enough differences that people will prefer one over the other. The biggest differences are fractional rig (Ty Sr) vs masthead rig (CD22), outboard well (Ty Sr) vs outboard bracket (CD22), and basic interior (Ty Sr) vs an interior with a bit more cabinetry and storage (CD22). My take is that the Ty Sr is a bit better suited to daysailing and occasional weekending, while the CD22 is a bit closer to a pocket cruiser. My personal choice for my Maine boat was for the CD22 as I wanted to take somewhat longer cruises. (My longest cruise so far on that boat was a 12-day trip from Boston to Penobscot Bay.) I like having the built-in sink, extra counter space, and extra storage in the interior, so the CD22 was a better fit for the way I use the boat, though I'm sure I would like the Ty Sr, too.

I agree with Megunticook that, in the part of the country where we sail (Maine), a working jib is generally a more useful sail than a genoa. For a roller furling sail for Maine waters I don't think I'd go larger than a 135% genoa. With roller furling, the more you roll the sail up the baggier it gets. Even with foam luff inserts, I think that if you rolled a 150 down to the size of a working jib it would be so baggy as to be useless. Something on the order of 120-135% is probably the right compromise between light air sail area and being able reef to an effective size and shape. When you order the sail, talk with the sailmaker about what you want to use the sail for, and they will help guide you to the right sail.

Make extra sure that when you have the sail designed they take into account where your tracks (or the bullseye) are installed. When you are ordering your sail, the measurements of where the jib leads go on deck are at least as important as the rig dimensions, so be sure to pay attention to the details. On both my Typhoon and CD22 the sails that came with the boat did not lead correctly and the shape was always a bit off. If your Ty Sr is like that, now is your chance to correct that problem.

Over the winter I ordered a new working jib from Precision to replace the old jib for my CD22. The new sail design has about the same overlap as the old working jib. Precision said it is 89%, but on the old sail the clew just touched the mast. I'm not sure about the Ty Sr deck layout, but on the CD22 there is a bullseye on the side deck that gives better sheeting angles than the track on the rail, and the size sail I have leads relatively well to the bullseye. The new sail has hanks and a reef. I don't have, nor do I want, roller furling, but I often have the need to reduce the sail area of the jib to something smaller than the working jib, and I need to do it in a hurry when the winds gust up, hence the reef. It's not for everyone, but I'm hoping that I will like it. I went with the 500 Series Elite 6 oz Dacron. I haven't launched this season so I have yet to try the new sail out, but I'm looking forward to seeing how it works when I get to Maine--hopefully next month.

Sorry this reply is late; you may have already ordered your new sail. If not, I hope I could help; if so, please post about it once you've tried it out.

I hope to see you out on the water this summer. I'll keep an eye out for Phoenix. My CD22 is called Arietta, and I sail out of Vinalhaven.

Smooth sailing,

Jim
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

You’ll find the specs for nearly all of the Cape Dorys right here on this web site as well as many of the owner’s manuals. No need to look any further than right here. You can scroll all the way to the top of this page and click on “About Cape Dorys” or click on the link below.

http://www.capedory.org/cdinfo.html
Message Board Admin. - CDSOA, Inc.
CDSOA Associate Member #265
Founding member of Northeast Fleet
Former owner of CD32 Realization, #3 (owned from 1995-2022)
Greenline 39 Electra
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
cfairer

Post by cfairer »

I own tySr #46. I had a set of sails from North Sails via mail order. They have TySr sail dimensions on file and they sent me a form to fill out just to confirm actual dimensions. They were prompt and accurate. Price was reasonable.

Re C22 vs Ty sr; If you want a sink and a stove squeezed into a small boat and you want to go cruising, there you go. But if you want a nice little day sailor and occasional camp out and you want to do some local racing (great handicap) that's simple and fun to sail, ty Sr is for you.