Typhoon spreader bases bent

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

zack

Typhoon spreader bases bent

Post by zack »

I recently purchased a typhoon and noticed the spreaders are bent backwards a few degrees on the bases on both sides.
Best I can tell from looking at other typhoons around the boat yard their spreaders are perpendicular to the mast.

Any other Typhoon owners see this with their spreaders? It seems weird to me that they would both be bent at the same angle if it were caused by damage.

Picture attached.

Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ben Miller

Re: Typhoon spreader bases bent

Post by Ben Miller »

I agree that that seems a little odd. The chainplate for the upper shroud is in line with the mast, so the shroud will tend to pull those spreaders back forward unless some other alteration has been made.
wikakaru

Post by wikakaru »

The spreader base on one of the shrouds on my Typhoon is bent downward rather than back like yours are. You can see it in this photo:
DSC_0481a.JPG
It's one of those things that has been niggling at me but that I haven't fixed. I'm afraid if I try to bend the stainless base back into the correct position it will fracture, and then I will be in real trouble. It's been this way as long as I've owned the boat--7 years now. Where does the time go? I've sailed over 5,500 miles with it that way. Maybe one of these years I'll figure out where I can get some replacement bases and swap them out.

Smooth sailing,

Jim
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
wikakaru

Post by wikakaru »

Oh, for comparison purposes, here's a similar angle to the photo you posted:
IMG_4336.JPG
--Jim
zack

Post by zack »

Thanks for the replies!

The uppers do indeed pull the spreaders forward and look much more normal with the mast up.
I'm going to sail it and see what happens.

For what it's worth I found replacement bases on rig rite: https://www.rigrite.com/Spars/Spartan_S ... sprdrs.php
Pretty steep at $180 each however.