CD25(D) - Fuel Tank

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Gojira15

CD25(D) - Fuel Tank

Post by Gojira15 »

So - I've had my CD25 (mostly) D for almost 2 years...
I say is mostly a CD25D since it has an internal diesel ('Beake 13)... But the vessel is missing other CD25D features...
The aluminum 20 gallon (!) fuel tank is up under the v-berth, as it the water tank.
The large laz in the stern has the transom cutout in the cockpit bulkhead for an outboard, but the through-hull well for the lower unit never existed.
No kitchenette feature, just the tiny sink with the faucet w/the bicycle hand pump to move liquid from the tank to the sink. (Thats one of my next projects.)
Not really a CD25, but not quite a real bona fide 25D either. Poor hybrid child.

So - to the meat of my question/problem/issue- That fuel tank. Gah.
Original equipment as far as I can tell... Manufactured by JTR Enterprises in Gulfport FL. (right down the road?!)
It doesn't look like its ever been removed or really checked out. It was held in with long-ago broken metal strapping. :roll:

Anyway - was on my first really long trip - originally planned a trip from St Pete to the Keys, hopefully the Tortugas, but this became more of a shakedown cruise.
Got beat up pretty bad coming out of Tampa Bay - that Skyway bridge is a beast.
The diesel started running really rough. We pulled up in Manatee River and I checked the Racor Water/Fuel separator.
Diesel bug. Bad.
Ew.
20230215_141031.jpg
Over the course of the week, motoring down the West ICW the engine would run OK for about 3 hours before it started losing revs, 2 hours if it was choppy.
When that would happen, I'd pull the collector cup and dump out the water and diesel bug oatmeal... after 2 dumps, the filter was clogged.
I bought 4 NAPA Gold R12T filters... Every morning I dumped the oatmeal from end of the previous day and changed the filter.
After 3 days it was unbearable.
We had gotten the diesel level down to a workable level - I sourced some containers and we pumped all the fuel out that we could, but that still wasn't enough...
I put in about 8 gallons of fresh diesel, new filter... still had fouling issues.

Got back to Tampa (Skyway beating me to death again- Motoring into 15 kt wind, 4-6' waves and an outgoing tide. I was moving at about 1 kt.)

So... I decide to pull the tank... I knew the straps needed to be replaced anyway and to do that I needed to get the tank out.
20230225_100309.jpg
Jeebus Pete! The condition of the tank.. One good hole, tons of pitting where the tank sat on wooden slats.
20230226_115101.jpg
Local aluminum welder I contacted about repairing the tank and sent pics - told me I should just replace it.
Not exactly an item I can get on Amazon... And the odd shape of the space precludes most poly fuel cells of reasonable size.

-(continued on next message) -
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gojira15

Re: CD25(D) - Fuel Tank

Post by Gojira15 »

(Continued)

The pits and holes...
20230225_172157.jpg
Shallow pitting.

Several of these:
20230225_172136.jpg

And the bad one:
20230225_172231.jpg
Hole that big might have something living in it...

Ive pressure washed the tank now - looks like I've got a good base to work with, at least from the inside...
Nice and clean, ready to refill with new $6/gallon liquid gold.

So... I'm going to take the tank to a mom-and-pop welding shop and see if they can do anything...
Might also try to go to the manufacturer down in Gulfport and ask how long their warranty is...

Anyone have any ideas about replacement, options, or anything else?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jay Young
Home Port: Jax Beach FL
FOB: Tampa Bay
CD25d Serendipity (Since May 2021)
"Oh Lord, Thy ocean is so great and my boat is so small."
gonesail

Post by gonesail »

Boyd welding in Ocala does custom aluminum fuel tanks.
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

Gonesail has good advice. You can’t weld Swiss cheese…that tanks only reason to exist, at this point, is to act as a full size mock-up. You want the replacement tank to be manufactured by an experienced marine fuel tank outfit. You can vastly improve on the tank platform using material impervious to moisture absorption and minimize contact surfaces. You want any condensation to wick away from the tank and provide for some ventilation. Good luck.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
Gojira15

Post by Gojira15 »

gonesail wrote:Boyd welding in Ocala does custom aluminum fuel tanks.
I got so excited for a minute...

Then...
boyd.jpg
:cry:
Jay Young
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

I presume there are others in your area. If not, http://www.lutherswelding.com/our-solut ... rine-tanks. Luther’s made mine several years ago at a decent price. The tank was, and remains, perfect.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

FL marine tanks built my fuel tank. Ironically they are located in NC. Very professional outfit. Here is how we did it. https://farreachvoyages.net/2020/05/13/ ... #more-1913

That's probably a very old tank. You are wasting time and money on a tank that old and will probably curse yourself later when you end up getting a new tank anyway. I say that with some humor because we have all been there one time or another. I paid under $500 for a new 19.5 gallon tank about two years ago.

I grew up sailing in Sarasota and Tampa Bay. Is there a reason why you are motoring in a good breeze like that in such a large body of water? Seems great conditions for a CD 25.... I have sailed under the skyway with a spinnaker and beat back under it in all kinds of wx. You'll be more comfortable sailing and it will be easier on the boat too--unless there is more to the story. Not being critical as I was not there but encouraging you to sail every chance you get.
Gojira15

Post by Gojira15 »

* UPDATE *
Many thanks to Jim, John & Gonesail...

I contacted JTR Marine in Gulfport FL, just a few miles from my slip at St. Pete Marina.
Derek (Son of Robert- the R in JTR) expressed interest in seeing a 40 year old relic from his dad's days in the fabrication shop.

He was amazed it was in as good condition is it was after I described some of the environmental conditions the boat has gone through.
(It also sat for a considerable amount of time with water 4-5 inches deep on the cabin sole based on the "high-tide" discoloration on the wood in the engine compartment, closet and in the fuel tank compartment.)

He checked out the pitting, holes, the remnants of the manufacturers tag... We chatted a bunch about the boat, the nature of aluminum and saltwater, other items.
Very cool guy to chat with.

In the end he offered a complete new tank to the exact dimensions and features (Filler, vent, port for fuel gauge sender, feed and return fittings, etc) for $500 out the door, on a 2 week turnaround.
So...
Since the Grand Prix is here in St. Pete the next 10 days (which makes getting to Demon's uh... sorry Demen's Point a nightmare) and I have a crap-ton of events (5 NHL games, 4 concerts, 2 watchparties) and I need to go up and see my grandcritters, I'll have to put things off for a bit but I'll jump back in with both feet when I get the call that the new fuel cell is ready.

John Stone:
Lots of exigent circumstances going on that day- I needed to get through the bridge with both wind, tide and some pretty serious chop making things pretty interesting, while trying to stay out of the way of the big boys - the Helly Hansen Sailing World St. Petersburg Distance Race was going on and I was trying to stay the hell outta the way but still get home.
Fortunately there was no big traffic (Cruise ships, tankers, bulk freighters, frigates, corvettes or Imperial gunships) moving that day...
Jay Young
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

Sounds like you found the right guy to make the new tank. Like father, like son. Excellent.
Gojira15

Post by Gojira15 »

Two weeks - New tank.

JTR Marine - 10/10 - Highly recommend!

A thing of beauty is a joy forever...
tank.jpg
Jay Young
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

Gojira15 wrote:
A thing of beauty is a joy forever...
tank.jpg

Nice job. You have to feel good about that.

"A thing of beauty is a joy forever..." Indeed.