unstepping mast on CD 31 - question

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

jen1722terry

unstepping mast on CD 31 - question

Post by jen1722terry »

Hi Sailors,

Our rigger is installing a Strong Track for us. He has to make some modification to the track on the mast and wants to unstep the mast to do this. Our yard normally stores sailboats mast-up. They have unstepped at least one other mast, but they are concerned about disconnecting the mast wiring below the cabin sole. I don't believe this is a difficult task, and all they should do is label the wires with tape and markings to avoid confusion later.

Am I missing something? I'm in Nova Scotia and can't really drive back over to mid-coast Maine to do the wires for them. Should I hire a marine electrician to disconnect the wires? We have radar and the usual mast lights.

Thanks in advance and those of you in the Northeast who are fortunate enough to still be in the water, enjoy the glorious September sailing.
Jennifer & Terry McAdams
Kearsarge, New Hampshire
Mahone Bay, Nova Scotia
CD 31 #33 "Glissade"
Way too many other small boats
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Re: unstepping mast on CD 31 - question

Post by John Stone »

I can't answer your question on mast wiring since I don't have any on my boat (someone will probably weigh in in that question). But, I did install a strong track. I installed mine after the mast was up. I installed it alone as I recall. Not difficult. It does require the boom to be removed. The goose neck was already installed if memory serves. The strong track is designed to be installed with the mast up.

Not a bad idea to un-step the mast occasionally but not normally necessary for installing a strong track.
Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

While I don't know what electronics you have on your mast, most mast light wiring has a connector fitting in the cabin to detach and stow taped inside the mast for removal. If not, just mark the wires with matching marks on the boat wiring. If you have radar etc. then maybe the yard would need help from an electrician, but you'd think they'd know what to do.
Paul
CDSOA Member
cbrenton
Cape Dory 33, Hull #75
Newington, New Hampshire

Post by cbrenton »

If you cut your radar cable, you got troubles. You will need a knowledgeable person to reconnect them
bottomscraper

Post by bottomscraper »

I would hope that whoever installed the mast electronics and electricals installed some type of connectors, junction boxes or terminal blocks at the mast base. If your mast has not been unstepped in a while it would be a good opportunity to inspect all the rigging.
Rich Abato
Nordic Tug 34 Tanuki

Previous Owner Of CD36 Mahalo #163

Southern Maine
http://www.sailmahalo.com