CD 25D Issues

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

fritz3000g

CD 25D Issues

Post by fritz3000g »

Hi all,

Been sailing and loving my new-to-me CD25D.

Few issues with original components that I'm not sure how to resolve.
  • Here's a video of my head seacock. It leaks when open, and can't be tightened any futher.
  • Here's a video of my furler line guard. The top of the opening for the line rubs against the top plate (back doesn't rub). Currently I'm waiting on a response from Harken for their suggestions, but they're slow. I can think of a few fixes. 1) move the line guard down by dremel-ing out the screw hole or 2) making a new hole (image below) or 3) removing the top of the line opening area (image below) and replacing it with some bent stainless sheeting or a piece of wire to keep the line feeding properly (see paperclip).
  • Here are some pics of my depth finder and speedometer (below). I'd like to replace them. Both receive power and show something, but it's unreadable. I have a depth finder I could use, but it's a much smaller readout. Any tips on easily changing to a smaller device without making it a fiberglass-gelcoat job? Also, are speedometer displays and spinners interchangeable or do I have to get a compatible one (or replace the spinner)? Anyone know where to find a compatible display?
I realize that #3 might have some posts on here, and I'll do some searching. Just wanted to post my questions now since I have a few minutes.

Thanks!

mgphl52

Re: CD 25D Issues

Post by mgphl52 »

The number one, most important issue with any furler system is having proper alignment for the furler line.
Your line lead should be exactly perpendicular to the middle of the drum. This will allow the line to scroll up
and down on the drum as you unfurl the sail. You should also keep minor tension on the line while unfurling.
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
fritz3000g

Post by fritz3000g »

Thanks mgphl52!

That issue is covered. The angle is about right, and with the guard off it rolls perfectly and evenly.
fritz3000g

Post by fritz3000g »

Oh! I see no mention of a speedometer or a depth finder in the original manual. I assume that means it's not original, but was added. So I'm on my own. Does that fit others' experience of CD25Ds?

This post suggests that at least some CDs might have had an "instrument opening" and the 4" size described matches what I have.
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

I do not recall any instruments being listed as "standard" in the Cape Dory brochures.
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
ch.ocallaghan

Post by ch.ocallaghan »

Regarding the Datamarine Instruments, DMI Marine Inc (http://dmimarine.com/products/index.html) has replacement instruments that fit the original holes. They can also perform service on your existing Datamarine instruments.
wikakaru

Post by wikakaru »

Those aren't Datamarine instruments, they are Standard Horizon. The cutouts for Datamarine and Standard Horizon are not exactly the same size, but can be made to work. The old Datamarine units specified a 4-1/8" cutout, and Standard Horizon units specified a 4" cutout. The DMI instruments are direct drop-in replacements for the old Datamarine units. You can enlarge the cutouts for the Standard Horizon instruments you have to fit the DMI instruments with some judicious use of a half-round file. In fact, that is what the DMI manual says to do.

I upgraded to DMI instruments last fall and have been pleased so far.

Smooth sailing,

Jim
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fritz3000g

Post by fritz3000g »

Thanks for the advice on depth and speed. I'll look into DMI.

Anyone have any ideas about the seacock?
ch.ocallaghan

Post by ch.ocallaghan »

Looks like a Spartan Seacock.

You might try lapping the cone, and then thickly applying the appropriate Spartan seacock grease.

https://marinehowto.com/servicing-taper ... -seacocks/

Boat would have to be out of the water, or the thru-hull plugged to do so.
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Post by Joe Myerson »

As for the instruments:
My 25D has Signet Marine depth sounder and speed log.
I was able to get my depth sounder repaired/replaced by Signet, which is still in business in California.
I don't bother using the speed log, because the paddle wheel gets fouled after a few weeks anyway. Instead, I take my SOG off my GPS/Chart plotter Of course, this means I can't calculate the current or get second-by-second readings for sail tuning, but it works for navigation.

As for servicing your seacocks, that Marine How-To link is a classic. You can get a seacock wrench, the best seacock grease and buffing compound, as a package, from Spartan Marine. It's well worth it.

BTW, it's possible that Spartan is facing supply-chain problems. I believe they were having trouble finding a bronze foundry for some of their items. But that may have been resolved.

Good luck! Your 25D is a rare bird, and one worth keeping. Mine is facing lots of aging problems, but so am I.

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
fritz3000g

Post by fritz3000g »

Thanks Joe and ch.ocallaghan!

Seacock
I'll try the grease for the seacock when it's out of the water. It doesn't seem like lapping would help because it's already too loose, but I could imagine more of the correct grease making a difference.

Furler
I was fortunate in that I drive by Harken's factory on the way to my boat and they were able to diagnose the issue. The metal plate above the housing was bent. Bending it back upwards resolved the issue.

Instruments
The Datamarine instruments are a little spendier than I'm looking for.

I have a small depth finder that I bought for $120 that works great on my other boat, so I think for now I'll move that over. I can use the existing metal ring and hole-saw through the existing plastic to mount my other depth finder inside the existing one. Might paint the plastic white just to look nice.

I had luck installing a pop-socket mount on my last boat, and just leaving my phone attached and on when moving. GPS speed should be good enough around here where there's no current.

Eventually I suspect I'll convert over to a real nav system with integrated depth and speed, but there's no rush at the moment.