Old Typhoon Restoration Opportunity?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Polyhymnia1958

Old Typhoon Restoration Opportunity?

Post by Polyhymnia1958 »

Typhoon Weekender in Tallahassee, Florida. Belonged to a professor in my neighborhood who recently passed. It’s been under a tarp forever. If I had more time, I’d attempt to restore it but I’m not sure yet how far gone it is. Seems a shame to let such a beautiful thing rot further. It can be obtained for free. Includes rigging, cushions, old motor, sketchy trailer. Anyone interested?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Polyhymnia1958

Re: Old Typhoon Restoration Opportunity?

Post by Polyhymnia1958 »

More photos…
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Polyhymnia1958

Post by Polyhymnia1958 »

Stern
wikakaru

Post by wikakaru »

Wow, that looks like a wooden transom--I didn't know any were made like that. It's rare cuddy daysailor model. Hopefully someone will see your post and want to restore it.

--Jim
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

I think that the transom is just painted to look as though it is wood, with that amount of neglect I think a wood transom would be in far worse shape. I am glad that I am far away in St. Louis, that way I am not tempted, but she could become a beauty. There are few things more expensive than a free boat.
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
billsimmeth

Post by billsimmeth »

tjr818 wrote:There are few things more expensive than a free boat.
Too true!

That's a really early boat. Note the wooden bulkheads and wooden cockpit benches. Probably worth saving -- just at what cost. Hopefully you're handy and motivated.
Bill Simmeth - Delaplane, VA
TyWe 1176 "Whisper" - Fishing Bay, VA

Only dead fish go with the flow.
sloopjohnl

Post by sloopjohnl »

definitely an early one. had one in our marina - wooden bulkhead and wooden cockpit seats and sole. i don't think the daysailor with cuddy had any portlights.
Carl Thunberg

Post by Carl Thunberg »

Honestly, this boat does not look to be in terrible condition, if and only if, the deck core isn't saturated. A really good cleaning and replace that missing section of toe rail on the port side, and you're 70% done. Of course all the work is in the final 30%. Fortunately it's a Florida boat so it hasn't been subjected to freeze/thaw damage.

I had an old Rhodes 18 that came on a trailer with wooden supports like that. As soon as I lifted the boat off the trailer the frame fell apart. It was okay while it was under compression. Inspect that trailer before it goes anywhere.
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton